Seeking suggestions on Amp + Speaker combos below 70K

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15865

Hi friends,

A young music lover in the extended family wants to build a proper rig on a tight budget. I spoke to him and understood his context and preferences and have sized up his needs as below. I need your suggestions for a combination of:

1. Integrated Amplifier with built in DAC (so he can stream to it directly), and
2. Floorstanding speakers

at a combined budget of up to Rs 70,000 (lesser the better, but only new). He is based in Mumbai and can audition most brands you’d suggest. But please suggest 1 and 2 together that are well matched and synergise well sound wise. His listening preferences are:

- mostly new music, new Hindi films, international pop, dance (he is a kinesthetic fellow) and he enjoys beats. So the bottom end would be important.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
a integrated amp + DAC
+
floorstander

is hard to come by in this budget - IMO

One of the challenges in making people attracted towards stereo music is that the entry point is quite high - a decent entry point i mean.

a. I see a brand called Zebronics and they make large speakers with amp and everything included inside them

b. If the Mumbai flat is not too big - i would look at a nice pair of powered speakers in that range.
Something from Swans or Audioengine ( availability is an issue )

I see the Swans M200A 2.0 at Rs 22k online and its amenable to a small subwoofer as well. Its bluetooth compatible too.

regards

Hi friends,

A young music lover in the extended family wants to build a proper rig on a tight budget. I spoke to him and understood his context and preferences and have sized up his needs as below. I need your suggestions for a combination of:

1. Integrated Amplifier with built in DAC (so he can stream to it directly), and

at a combined budget of up to Rs 70,000 (lesser the better, but only new). He is based in Mumbai and can audition most brands you’d suggest. But please suggest 1 and 2 together that are well matched and synergise well sound wise. His listening preferences are:

- mostly new music, new Hindi films, international pop, dance (he is a kinesthetic fellow) and he enjoys beats. So the bottom end would be important.

Thanks!
Hi,

I suggest looking for an integrated amplifier and an external DAC like Allo Boss. Boss player will cost you around 10k. Leaving aside another 5k for interconnects, speaker cables and a stabilizer, you will have around 55k left for amp + floorstanders. A reliable entry level amp is Marantz PM5005, costing around 21k. I can see a few floorstanders on hifimart.com costing less than 35k. I haven't heard any of them though, so cannot comment about their synergy with PM5005.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

Hi Sachin :)

Probably talking about external streamers and dac's will put newbies off. It took me years to understand the terminology, we now take for granted.

My best bet would be bluesound powernode, which is a streamer, cum dac cum a poweamp. Coupled with some very effeceint floor standers.

Different generations of bluesound power nodes come at varying price points. My gen1 power node with 25W of power at 8 ohms kicked my 90db sensitivity Qacoustics concept 40's in a very musical and sublime way. I would have readily offered my bluesound powernode, had it not been promised to my sister already.

By the way..if this particular gentleman is not completely adamant on floor standers, which will eat the chunk of his budget. I have been given to understand that Qacoustics concept 20's + bluesound powernode make a great combo :)

Plus the powernode has a sub woofer out with 80 Hz crossover. So your relative could add a sub in the future and really take his system to he next level, by forfeiting a floor stander now. Just my 2 cents

Edit : Though I'd add a bit to the above. I used to plug in my music collection via a usb drive into the bluesound. And all my tracks would show up in the app. Then I moved onto a WD my cloud 4tb nas. And kept the bluesound plugged into the same network switch as the nas. And it again reads all my 750gb of music and arranged them in the app . Top it off with tidal, Spotify, qobuz and more streaming sites than I can remember. I feel this is a real winner, and highly suited to younger folks who are inclined towards streaming

Last edited:
Hi friends,

Thanks!
Hi Sachin,

I've heard the combination of Marantz pm6006 with Fyne audio F302 towers - their entry level tower speakers. A very well matched musical combination. I think these two clock in at under 70k together. Do look them up and should be easy to audition in Mumbai.

Hi friends,

Thanks!
IF he is someone who might want to upgrade later, Id suggest going with a Speaker + Receiver combination as it gives more flexibility
Eg

An integrated receiver with everything like the marantz CR412 or if he can use any other source like a laptop then an Amplifier like the Cambridge Audio Topaz etc all under 30K

Speakers are many at this range and for his sound..he could think of the Wharfedale D330 at 37K

( I referred-to Hifimart for the prices)

Hi Sachin,

I've heard the combination of Marantz pm6006 with Fyne audio F302 towers - their entry level tower speakers. A very well matched musical combination. I think these two clock in at under 70k together. Do look them up and should be easy to audition in Mumbai.

Jayant, thanks. I’ve heard good things about Fyne audio.
What‘s the sound signature of the combination? Would it be suitable to pop, EDM, new fast Hindi songs kind of (bass, beat heavy) music?

IF he is someone who might want to upgrade later, Id suggest going with a Speaker + Receiver combination as it gives more flexibility
Eg

An integrated receiver with everything like the marantz CR412 or if he can use any other source like a laptop then an Amplifier like the Cambridge Audio Topaz etc all under 30K

Speakers are many at this range and for his sound..he could think of the Wharfedale D330 at 37K

( I referred-to Hifimart for the prices)

Arjun (yeah!), thanks. A hi-fi system? Sounds like an interesting all-in-one option. And will almost fit into the budget with the WD. Its bigger brother, the CR612 seems more enticing with the WiFi support (and therefore AirPlay). but costs another 20k. And yes, Marantz with WD can produce peppy sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jayant, thanks. I’ve heard good things about Fyne audio.
What‘s the sound signature of the combination? Would it be suitable to pop, EDM, new fast Hindi songs kind of (bass, beat heavy) music?
Fyne audio is pretty good at delivering that bass punch your young relation wants :D so yes will be suited for EDM, pop, Honey Singh and his ilk!
I didn't find it refined enough in the higher frequencies, but overall the signature was fun at higher volumes with a good punch. Went well together with Marantz integrated amps.

If you are looking for a Bass Punch from Floorstanders, Fyne Audio 3xx series floorstanders, Def tech floorstanders on HFV classifieds or Mission MX3
- driven by Crown Xls 2502 and Digione player/streamer can be accommodated in 80k I think.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back