SHOLAY 1975 in 3D and Blu-Ray

I was searching my archive and found an image which I had created in 2009, that is Gabbar's Facebook profile image. So sharing here with my HFV friends.
There is a small story behind creating this Gabbar's FB page. Actually that time I found a handmade Gabbar profile page for Orkut which was not that great and lacking Gabbar's Details and comments. So thought to create Gabbar Profile page for FB but with lot of details (Likes, Comments, Friends, People You May Know, Date of Birth, Looking For, Current City etc.)

Likes : Helen :licklips: , Ram Gopal Verma, Ramgarh as Favorite Location
Friends : Bandit Queen, Jageera (Chinagate Villian), Saambha, Kaalia, Durga and Dinesh Kumar Maurya (Me)
People You May Know : Jabbar Singh (Vinod Khanna in Mera Gaon Mera Desh), Laakhan (Sunil Dutt in Badle Ki Aag) - Both were Dacoits so FB is suggesting their name :D
Nowadays we can see this same image is shared on many websites (I am in all images), searched on Google. I hope you will like all comments and likes :lol:

Thanks Hemant!
Now Facebook has completely updated their interface, that time it was like it is in Gabbar's Page :) I remember 10 years back I had designed a collage poster for Sholay used 25-30 scenes from the movie to create a collage. I will share that too if found that in my archive.

That is a shame. I think the hype was not created enough. If they had released the director's cut, maybe things would have been different.

^ +1
They should release uncut version. I can understand that time they have censored those scenes because of violence and were promoting revenge but nowadays that level of violence is nothing. Read on a website (I guess FB) about it and comment was "Now channel Nickelodeon is showing more violence than those scenes" :eek:hyeah:
I am not sure if makers of 3D version approached Censor Board to release Director's Cut.

In my City SHOLAY was released on 8-11 screens, 2nd week had 4 screens and in this 3rd week it is showing on ONLY ONE screen (6:45PM) evening time so that working/office people can watch this movie and they can recover the money they have spent.

What is your review about this 3D version, please share your experience?

I liked the Sholay 3D version. It was enjoyable. Raju Singh and team have re-recorded the sound very well. 3D effects are peppered throughout the movie and have not been intentionally introduced just for the sake of it. A good effort by the team in my opinion.

The low revenue is sad. They should have released this 3D version overseas as well. I was hoping to see it in theater again. Hope the 3D version makes it to Bluray soon.

Releasing SHOLAY on Blu-ray is also a kind of investment, after getting the results in cinemas they may postpone the Blu-ray project or may be they can release to recover or generate the revenue. Let see what happens, but I think SHOLAY really deserves Blu-ray. If pathetic movies like R... Rajkumar, Gori Tere Pyar Mein etc are releasing on Blu-ray then why not a milestone of Indian Cinema?

I think the entire Movie industry in India needs to learn marketing from Hollywood. Give Bluray/DVD's at fair prices along with lots of extras and there can be a very good market. Offcourse, the piracy is rampant, but there is a market at right prices. Afterall, the movie can't make more money after theater run is over and making discs is not that expensive when made in big batches. So, might as well make some more moolah.

Seen this Blu-ray cover couple of years back and it is still in google search.
70036262350855587219.jpg

I think I came across this petition in the forum 'zulm.net'.
I signed it with all the email accounts I had.

Its really shameful that we have to struggle and gather just for a goddamn company to create a Blu Ray Disc :keh:

One more thing prepress. (read the message in the bottom in the white strip)
The cover above is just a custom one. Someone just created it and shared it. Its not an official and real Blu Ray cover ;)

Last edited:
One more thing prepress.
The cover above is just a custom one. Someone just created it and shared it. Its not an official and real Blu Ray cover ;)

Yes, I know about that... it was uploaded around 2-3 years back.

(Originally posted in the Chasme Baddor thread)

The only Sholay DVD I have is the latest Pen version which is below average! Nonsensical 5.1 (out of mono) and okayish picture (cropped) :angry:

I've also recorded HD telecast (on Zee Cinema) which is the best.
Great PQ & AQ (picture quality and audio quality ) progressive and WONDERFULLY RESTORED!!!! Not cropped (slightly from the top & bottom)
The best Sholay quality I've seen. (3D version was pretty blurry and looked somewhat like a painting).

DEi too released it. (surprisingly is DEI's worst job). I don't have it but people in another forum say that it looks unnatural (good sharpness, but grainy video, extra contrast and negligible shadow detail and slightly weak colors)

The sound is buzzing and tearing.

Looking at the DEi screenshots I feel that the PEn version is the same (I may be wrong)
---------------------
Maybe Pen, who holds Sholay rights currently and was involved with Sholay 3D (can't exactly say what), may bring out the 3d version's DVD and Blu ray.
But we may have that huge pen logo on top of the screen which is pretty annoying.

Last edited:
I have SHOLAY on 4 companies.
PEN 3 VCD pack (MRP 650/-) purchased in year 2000-01
Ultra VCD and DVD year 2005-06
Moser Baer DVD year 2009-10
Director's Cut (copied VOB files from my friend's EROS DVD)

Not bothered to buy again on PEN DVD release again 2012. Yesterday I have posted a below comment for Sholay Blu-ray on another forum:
"I wish they include alternate ending with deleted scenes and definitely would love if they include commentary (Track 01) of Sippy, Salim-Javed in the whole movie as they know better about every scene. Other commentary (Track 02) should include AB, Dharmendra, Hema Malini, Jaya, RD if his views are available somewhere about the making on songs, I guess I have heard something about Mehbooba-2 making, Sachin, Lata Mangeshkar, Viju Khote, Jagdeep, Asrani, Helen etc.

Unfortunately we have lost many legends like Kishore Kumar, RD Burman, Manna Dey (recently), Sanjeev Kumar, AK Hangal (recently), Amjad Khan, Mac Mohan, Satyen Kappu, Leela Mishra, Keshto Mukherjee etc."

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back