Showcase your audio/video setup here!......

The Good Dedicated Home Theatre

Sumit,

I am impressed with your detailed set up.

The room size is very good for a home theatre.

It is nice that you have done a lot of cost savings by making the sofa's and equipment rack, if you would have had the recliner chairs and the imported av racks, it would have added great power to your theatre.

It is very nice that you have come across the right guy for the acoustic work, and it is double nice that you have done the acoustic treatment, on the other hand i have met the wrong guys for acoustic treatment, like in one case a dealer was saying that he want 20,000 bucks to advice me on the acoustic treatment, finally i had the right guys who took me through with this treatment, the av max guys.

I have come across a number of direct and in-direct professionals where they will talk about acoustic, but they themselves rarely do this treatment, which is a wrong signal somewhere down the line, because when one says acoustic is a important part of a home theatre, it will be important also if one is into only music listening.

I am not able to see the trap boxes, and panels, please consider to show those pictures, I would also like to know in detail as to exactly how these panels and trap boxes were made.

I am surprised how the joints in plywood have surfaced, is it because the quality of wood was not good? It seems the plywood on ceiling was not placed in order that is why it vibrates during high base, generally if something has to vibrate, it could be the things on the ground level, and not on the ceiling level, even if it is to vibrate on cieling level, it should be not more than 5% to what it vibrates on ground level.

I remember the filmi guy, sanjay gupta, the close friend of sanjay dut, in his basement dedicated theatre, some glasses had broken twice, so you can imagine what kind of a set up would he have, or should i say he is having the elephant of low frequencies toward sub woofer or woffers?

I agree with your consideration that you want to use the Armstrong brand acoustic ceiling tiles, the way I have used, indeed it is sad on the ripping of your existing ceiling, but what to do, there is no choice, especially if one wants a nearer experience of a good home theatre on technical factors.

Armstrong, is out with black colour ceiling tiles, which are mainly for the home theatre, with white tiles, when the movie is running via projector you can see the white tiles, with black what happens is that you can not see much of the ceiling, which gets vanished due to black in nature.

About the ripping, which you are talking about, even in my case a lot of money and efforts, etc, went in waste, in my case I would have lost more than one lac rupees, and if I see the in-direct loss of ripping, it could be above 2 lac rupees, so sumit, we have to pay the cost of getting nearer to a good home theatre.

It is the mother of a thing you said that home theatre is importantly about the sound and video, that is why i have done a lot of efforts to achieve on these fronts.

In the pictures I am not able to see any holes in the panels, I have seen pictures of some home theatre, the treatment has been copied exactly the way I have done it, and guess what, the copy factor also did not have the ability of order, the holes are extensively visible, because of choosing the wrong kind of fabric and not to forget about the other errors which could have surfaced, so your acoustic guy had a much better sense, you know people talk about saying un-founded things about certain theatres, while one needs to pause and have a look to what they have made.

My 4 x 3 screen is also as per your screen size, I do not have to roll my screen because once the projector light is off, the screen automatically goes into the ceiling and similarly when the projector light is on, the screen automatically rolls down from the false ceiling, I also had this problem, that the screen will look bad, when it is down, when I am not watching a movie, so I took this advanced screen of auto roll up and down. The picture paste is a very good idea, it is a great suggestion for others who are planning to make a home theatre.

As you are looking forward to buy a 16 x 9 screen, what will you do with your 4 x 3 screen? I know of one member he made the screen himself, he just bought the fabric, and rest he got it assembled.

The idea of elevation of your seating arrangement is a very good one.

At the end, what gives me great joy is that you have a dedicated home theatre, which is any day better then most of the people who make it in their living room, having a dedicated theatre, is a class apart.

On the other hand I have seen some members home theatre photo's in the living room, they have done a neat job, but in my circle of contacts, they have not done a neat job of the home theatre in a living room.

For me the best home theatre which I have seen is of sunil, and now it is yours sumit and that reminds me that i have liked one more dedicated theatre of a member who is based in abroad, but i think he is having a theatre in hyderabad, i may differ with some members on certain things, but at the end of the day, the good what they have, i need to stand up and say, that it is good.

I had the privilege to first know about your dedicated home theatre, and thank you very much for sharing with me first, that you are going to upload the pictures of your theatre, of which you have done yesterday.

I am pleased to inform the members, that there is one more member who has told me that very soon, he is also going to upload the pictures of his home theatre.

Vinay.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Vinay for all the praises and suggestions.
I shall make a detailed entry about your queries either tonight or tomorrow. I think I have a picture of a trap box while it was being made.

Later....

Vinay...about your queries:

1. Trap boxes and acoustic panels: They are one and the same thing. I learnt the word "trap box' from the my acoustic expert. If you look again at the pics, you would see black boxes. The surround speakers are mounted on these. You can also see them on both the doors. On the side walls also there are panels but pics of the side walls are not yet posted.
I shall post bigger pics on some other site for all to see.

2. What am I going to do with old screen? I am going to take it to my work and install it in my meeting room along with my old projector.

Thanks a lot, 'soundsgreat' for the appreciation.

sumit

Gladston, (Glads)

Thank you very much for the message.

I will look forward to see the photographs of your home theatre, there have been times when the photos are not in order by some members, so the fellow members request for better photographs, so please do take care of this factor while loading the photos.

Since your walls are already panelled, so please do show us those photo's, too especially when they were in the making.

It is a good move that you have postponed to buy the equipments, as you feel this is not the right time, i am very happy for you, as the other day i was telling some other member how you have set a deadline of making the home theatre ready, for which i was saying it is not a wise move over the deadline, it is better to have the work to your satisfaction instead of living by the deadline, as these projects are great, no one will like to go wrong.

Vinay.

Vinay...about your queries:

1. Trap boxes and acoustic panels: They are one and the same thing. I learnt the word "trap box' from the my acoustic expert. If you look again at the pics, you would see black boxes. The surround speakers are mounted on these. You can also see them on both the doors. On the side walls also there are panels but pics of the side walls are not yet posted.
I shall post bigger pics on some other site for all to see.

2. What am I going to do with old screen? I am going to take it to my work and install it in my meeting room along with my old projector.

Thanks a lot, 'soundsgreat' for the appreciation.

sumit

Sumit,

Thank you very much for the detailed writing on trap boxes, if i come across a reliable consultant, even i would consider this trap boxes, which i think would not be required because i have enough of glass wool treatment, acoustic tiles, wall to wall carpet, then i have seen to it that there is no glass items, or hard items, etc. I am not getting the right sub woofer and surround effects.

I think i need to be more careful while watching the movie, i think for some of the movies the effects are very good, i think it more depends upon the brand of DVD which you are buying, sony, excel, eros, etc. I think soundsgreat had told me that excel is the best, and sony is bad, yesterday i watched a movie of sony brand, the effects were just lousy, keeping in mind that the movie had great action scenes.

Wow projector and screen in a meeting room, which is your profession sumit?

So which new screen are you considering, would you like to go for the dnp fibre screen which i have?

Vinay.

Vinay...

I try to buy the best qulaity DVD's around. Earlier I just bought any make. Now, I buy only the besgt. Infact, the titles thta I really like, I get them from abroad. Because, DVD's abroad are of gr8 quality and they have a lot of extra features. You will not find DTS decoding much in indian DVD's. I find DTS much superior to Dolby as it is less compressed.

No, I don't plan to buy a expensive screen. I plan to buy a regular 8' X 6' screen and get it cut to 16:9 aspect ratio with 106" diagonal. I will than get it framed. Probably wooden. Also, i was thinking of getting in framed with black glass borders. This will give a look of plasma. But, it is a tough job.

I am not opting for an expensive screen as I am going to upgrade my receiver. Although, its new but it does not have enough juice for my system. Check out thread: surround-amplifiers and receivers> pre-amp or new receiver. I am having a discussion there. There are some gr8 guys out there who are guiding me to buy the right receiver.

Sumit.

Vinay...

I try to buy the best qulaity DVD's around. Earlier I just bought any make. Now, I buy only the besgt. Infact, the titles thta I really like, I get them from abroad. Because, DVD's abroad are of gr8 quality and they have a lot of extra features. You will not find DTS decoding much in indian DVD's. I find DTS much superior to Dolby as it is less compressed.

No, I don't plan to buy a expensive screen. I plan to buy a regular 8' X 6' screen and get it cut to 16:9 aspect ratio with 106" diagonal. I will than get it framed. Probably wooden. Also, i was thinking of getting in framed with black glass borders. This will give a look of plasma. But, it is a tough job.

I am not opting for an expensive screen as I am going to upgrade my receiver. Although, its new but it does not have enough juice for my system. Check out thread: surround-amplifiers and receivers> pre-amp or new receiver. I am having a discussion there. There are some gr8 guys out there who are guiding me to buy the right receiver.

Sumit.

Sumit,

Thank you for your writing.

With me too, i used to buy any brand of DVD, later i started realizing that some of the brand's quality of recording is a bad one, and later soundsgreat bought a lot of awareness in me about the good, bad, and ugly DVD's, it is quite a learning for me about the dts factor which you have written. I feel the worst has begun in India, with dvd's for arounf 50 bucks or so, you can imagine what kind of a quality will that be, so people like us will have no choice but to switch to english movies. The other day i was seeing a dvd, english movie, of sony brand, the movie had a lot of action, but the effects were at it's lousy, no wonder soundsgreat is so against sony brand.

About the screen, it is better not to use glass borders, because of the acoustic factor, wooden is still bearable, and if you can have the frame, with some sort of design, instead of plain, it will be more better. I know of one member who has made the screen himself, like how you are planning to do. If you make this wooden framed screen, does that mean, that you will not be able to hide it, the way you are doing it now?

About the receiver problem, which you are having, these are among the reasons over which my theatre got delayed in making, as i had a tough time in selecting the right combination of the av equipments, so i feel nice that i am not having these problems. Indeed it goes without saying that the members here are always there to help in the right direction.

I would like to add that inspite of the great patience and planning which i showed when the theare was in the making, yet there has been some mistakes i did, but then it gives me the great joy, that my errors have been to the core minimum, and that is why i tell the members that it is a great task to make a dedicated home theatre, with minimum planning and patience by which we proceed, then with the bad sharks around in form of wrong advices by dealers, and by some so called professionals.

Vinay.

Last edited:
Not sleepy, so time for some shots! [Big screen in action & PC screen]
DSC_0088.jpg

Hi friends,
My apologies for hibernating for so long.Vinay I beg you forgiveness for not replying to your message .
Here is my entry level setup -nothing compared to some of the awesome set ups on this forum.
regards
chandu.

Attachments

• 1.Vintage set up-living room..jpg
    1.Vintage set up-living room..jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,326
  • 2.tape deck.JPG
    2.tape deck.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,312
  • 3.vintage pioneer amp.JPG
    3.vintage pioneer amp.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,314
  • 4.hifi.jpg
    4.hifi.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,316
  • 5.hifi.jpg
    5.hifi.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,309
more pics.I know the pics are poor quality.Ijust bought a nikon d40x.shall post better ones shortly.
regards
chandu.

Attachments

• 6.Precious LPs.jpg
    6.Precious LPs.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,325
  • 7.Ht set up.jpg
    7.Ht set up.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,317
  • 8.ht set up -av room.jpg
    8.ht set up -av room.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,311
  • 9.DENON 1930 AND YAMAHA RXV650 AMP.jpg
    9.DENON 1930 AND YAMAHA RXV650 AMP.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,313
One more classic addition to my vintage collection, Technics "Micro Series" stereo DC power & pre amplifier, an unusual beast.

Here's the review that appeared in the July 1979 issue of High Fidelity

Technics SU-C01

Technics SE-C01

Pre amp inside view

Power amp inside view

SE-C01 power amplifier

Year: 1979 - 83
MSRP, US$ 360
RMS: 40 watt per channel
THD% 0.03
Frequency Response 20 Hz to 20 kHz
AB class output operation

SU-C01 pre amplifier

Year: 1979 - 83
MSRP, US$ 300
THD% 0.0009
IHF IM Distortion 0.0009

Dear Anilkumar,

Wonderful units and nice pictures. Have you bought these recently?

One more classic addition to my vintage collection, Technics "Micro Series" stereo DC power & pre amplifier, an unusual beast.

Here's the review that appeared in the July 1979 issue of High Fidelity

Technics SU-C01

Technics SE-C01

Pre amp inside view

Power amp inside view

SE-C01 power amplifier

SU-C01 pre amplifier

Hi,

Anil congrats man :)! good to know bout this latest acquisition ! you are one proud owner of it !!

Where did you buy it from ?? it looks nice ! hope will see it in action some time !

Regards.

great hunting ...online i guess!
anil ...congrats ..... great pics ... unit looks virgin :D

soon i will try to visit ..... :)

Thanks Sreekanth buddy :)
I got this from one of my relative, not used for years. Unit plays wonderful, bit of cleaning is required for tuner section. I am quite happy with the performance. Back panel contacts are gold-plated & distortion is essentially nonexistent, has both MM & MC for phono operation.
You can drop in anytime to audition this unusual beast.........

Regards,
Anil

Hi,

Anil congrats man :)! good to know bout this latest acquisition ! you are one proud owner of it !!

Where did you buy it from ?? it looks nice ! hope will see it in action some time !

Regards.

Hi Kaushik, i no more buy online, it's pain in the neck!! you know that.
You can drop in anytime for audition.

Regards,
Anil

great hunting ...online i guess!
anil ...congrats ..... great pics ... unit looks virgin :D

soon i will try to visit ..... :)

Brings back lovely memories. Owned a similar Technics set in the early 90s. They also come with their matched speakers.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back