Showcase your audio/video setup here!......

QUOTE=subhash;48001]hi, sumit, the setting is absolutely fantastic!!! one small suggestion, u cud place your rack with the control amps & sources some where at the side walls or rear.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the appreciation Subhash.

Can you tell the reason for you to suggest me to shift the Equipment to the rear or side walls?

Also, this is suggested by my dedicated acoustics expert. He had designed the acoustics and orientation of equipment for my room. Still, I am eager to know your reasons for the same. There is always room for improvement!!

Cheers!!

13052009723.jpg

13052009724.jpg

13052009726.jpg

13052009727.jpg

13052009728.jpg

13052009729.jpg

13052009734.jpg

13052009736.jpg

13052009735.jpg

13052009737.jpg

13052009739.jpg

13052009740.jpg

fantastic Manu . I like the way you arranged the system in your room. The bass traps and the absorbers are very well arranged without spoiling the interior. Hope the audio and video sounds.

fantastic Manu . I like the way you arranged the system in your room. The bass traps and the absorbers are very well arranged without spoiling the interior. Hope the audio and video sounds.

looks more like a multiple speaker arrangement, rather than bass traps and sound absorbers?

hey brothers :yahoo:

my equipment list :

polk tsi 400 floorstanders with 200 max power

polk cs20 centre channel speaker with 150 watt max

4 polk tsi 200 bookshelves for surrounds with 150 watt max each

2 polk psw 125 sub 300 watts power each

speaker cables :- draka company (from germany) 14 awg wire cost(165 ruppes/metre) i use 50 metre of it

subwoofer cables :- also from draka company (i use three subwoofer cable for two subwoofers one is 10 metre long ,second is 3 metre long and third is 1 metre long) these sub cables cost me around 3000 rupees (including 6 connectors from dac cables)

also use y-slitter to connect two subwoofers which has gold plated connectors cost me around 1275 rupees

also use vangaurd stablizer with 1.5 kva (its not in those above pics because those are old pics kinda 3 months old) for pure power supply also act as surge protector,spike protector it cost around 5200 rupees

sony vpl aw 15 720p lcd projector

optoma panoview 120 inch 16:9 screen :licklips: with 1.0 gain it cost me around 22000 rupees

xbox 360 elite with 120gb hard disk

samsung dvd player with 720p upconversion

onkyo av receiver which comes with onkyo htib 5100(looking forward to buy one best av receiver but can't decide which company to go onkyo,denon,hk or maratnz)

acoustic treatments:

i have just use foam (which you can buy from any shop where you get all your curtains clothes,pillow,bed mattress,rugs etc etc)

these foams are in different sizes

like for higher frequencies i use 1 inch thick foam

for mid frequencies i use 2 inch thick foam

and for bass traps i use 4 inch thick foam (you can also use 6 to 8 inches thick foam the thicker the foam the more bass it traps) 4 inch thick foam is ideal for my room measurement which is 12 feet wide ,20 feet long and 10 feet high i also use bass traps on some ceiling corner where wall and ceiling meets

and lastly for diffusers (you can see some colorful clothes behind my sofa where i sit actually inside these colorful clothes i take one inch thick foam as a base and on it i cut small different or you can say irregular shapes of other one inch and two inch thick foam(which i fix with glue on one inch thick foam which i use as a base))
basically diffuser act as to create live sound because if you don't use diffusors then all acoustic treatment can absorb all the sound which result in dull or muddy sound so when sound hits those diffusers it reflect it different directions thus creating a lively sound field
that's it :clapping:

Last edited:
my guess - if your sources (cdp, dvdp, turntable in particular) are close to your biggest speakers, the low freq may create a lot of vibrations.
the other reason ppl like the setup on side wall is to keep it close to their hands - so that they can change cd, records, turn equipment dials without having to get up and walk to the equipments.

My own rack is between the front speakers. ppl say it is the worst placement
regards

QUOTE=subhash;48001]hi, sumit, the setting is absolutely fantastic!!! one small suggestion, u cud place your rack with the control amps & sources some where at the side walls or rear.

Can you tell the reason for you to suggest me to shift the Equipment to the rear or side walls?

Also, this is suggested by my dedicated acoustics expert. He had designed the acoustics and orientation of equipment for my room. Still, I am eager to know your reasons for the same. There is always room for improvement!!

Cheers!![/QUOTE]

and lastly for diffusers (you can see some colorful clothes behind my sofa where i sit actually inside these colorful clothes i take one inch thick foam as a base and on it i cut small different or you can say irregular shapes of other one inch and two inch thick foam(which i fix with glue on one inch thick foam which i use as a base))
basically diffuser act as to create live sound because if you don't use diffusors then all acoustic treatment can absorb all the sound which result in dull or muddy sound so when sound hits those diffusers it reflect it different directions thus creating a lively sound field
that's it :clapping:[/QUOTE]

Hi,
You have a nice setup and liked the way you have used acoustics. question is regarding the diffuser can you take pics of them without the cover and show them. Have my doubts if foam can act as diffuser. it has to be rigid like wood or thick plastic to reflect the sound else it will just pass through, further the diffusion should be across a wide bandwidth including bass. Now comming to absorbers you need to check the absorbation coefficient of foam of 1",2",4" and again the bandwidth it absorbs. please dont feel i am trying to discourage you its just that i am trying to understand absorbers and diffusers better.
I have made (DIY)four 1 mtr/1 mtr 4 " thick pannels for 4 sides of the wall,1mtr/0.5 mtr four pannels as bass traps and put rockwool of 100mm thick into this for wide bandwidth absorbation, the sound was good. Around two weeks back i made 1mtr/0.5mtr 6" thick bass absorbers and replaced them in the corners and out of the existing 4 pannels(1mtr/0.5 mtr) , kept 2 behind the speakers and 2 on the side walls closer to the speakers. the sound in the room further improved and bass become more clear and defined. now i am planning for diffusers but after reading articles on the web i feel instead of wood why not make them from thermocol as they dont absorb but only reflect any inputs not this would be a welcome.

Hi Guns!!

I think you have done the Bass Traps just right.
I also got the bass traps made in somewhat similar fashion.
:)

Hi,
You have a nice setup and liked the way you have used acoustics. question is regarding the diffuser can you take pics of them without the cover and show them. Have my doubts if foam can act as diffuser. it has to be rigid like wood or thick plastic to reflect the sound else it will just pass through, further the diffusion should be across a wide bandwidth including bass. Now comming to absorbers you need to check the absorbation coefficient of foam of 1",2",4" and again the bandwidth it absorbs. please dont feel i am trying to discourage you its just that i am trying to understand absorbers and diffusers better.
I have made (DIY)four 1 mtr/1 mtr 4 " thick pannels for 4 sides of the wall,1mtr/0.5 mtr four pannels as bass traps and put rockwool of 100mm thick into this for wide bandwidth absorbation, the sound was good. Around two weeks back i made 1mtr/0.5mtr 6" thick bass absorbers and replaced them in the corners and out of the existing 4 pannels(1mtr/0.5 mtr) , kept 2 behind the speakers and 2 on the side walls closer to the speakers. the sound in the room further improved and bass become more clear and defined. now i am planning for diffusers but after reading articles on the web i feel instead of wood why not make them from thermocol as they dont absorb but only reflect any inputs not this would be a welcome.

Hi Guns!!

I think you have done the Bass Traps just right.
I also got the bass traps made in somewhat similar fashion.
:)

Hi sumit,
Your setup too is wonderful state of the art and saw the roof has also changed. have you done any diffusion in your room if yes then please enlighten me.

QUOTE=subhash;48001]hi, sumit, the setting is absolutely fantastic!!! one small suggestion, u cud place your rack with the control amps & sources some where at the side walls or rear.

Cheers!![/QUOTE]

hi,sumit its jst that u will not be disturbed by all the lights from the amps/sources when placed at the sides or rear & the screen area will appear cleaner

that's it :clapping:

Hi,
I have made (DIY)four 1 mtr/1 mtr 4 " thick pannels for 4 sides of the wall,1mtr/0.5 mtr four pannels as bass traps and put rockwool of 100mm thick into this for wide bandwidth absorbation, the sound was good. Around two weeks back i made 1mtr/0.5mtr 6" thick bass absorbers and replaced them in the corners and out of the existing 4 pannels(1mtr/0.5 mtr) , kept 2 behind the speakers and 2 on the side walls closer to the speakers. the sound in the room further improved and bass become more clear and defined. now i am planning for diffusers but after reading articles on the web i feel instead of wood why not make them from thermocol as they dont absorb but only reflect any inputs not this would be a welcome.[/QUOTE]

:signthankspin:

hey brother u are definitely right about diffusers but i can't use wood for some reason

ans yes you can use thermocoal too for difffusers

and lastly use quetion about 1inch 2inch and 4 inch foam

i arrange them on wall like this
one 1inch then next 2 inch then 1 inch and then 2 inch

i don't get any deeper for those bandwidth absorption and i don't want too :)

but i can tell you one true thing and that thing is when i use these as a absorption panel my room sounded much much muuuccccchh better :eek:hyeah::licklips:

i can hear dialogues clearly and also hear some distinct notes in sound that diminished before when i don't use any absorption

you know SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING :clapping:

Hey Guys!!

Uploading new pictures after additions to HT.
In one of the pictures you can see a Martin Rolands Karaoke speakers hanging above the Pool Table. They are connected to the speaker B option of the AVR.
I have already posted details of the equipment in earlier post in this thread.
Cheers!!

Five pics in all...

img3708.jpg

img3690.jpg

Hi Sumit,
Great set up. I am also quite excited to spot a americn pool table there.I want to ask you what cues do you use to play pool? I am a big fan of snooker and play american pool sometimes. I am looking for a really good pool cue. Do u know any reliable person from whom I can get a good cue like Buffelo or Predator in India ?
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Friends,

Here is my AV set-up.

Speakers: Canton Karat 60 (1989, 10.2" woofer, 4.7" mid, 1" Al-Mn tweeter)

Amps: HK6300 (1989, 60 wpc SS), Leben CS300 (12 wpc, Sovtek EL84 tubes)
CDP/DAC: CA 740c
Single Cassette Deck: Onkyo K-505TX Dolby B-C HX Pro
Graphic Equalizer: Kenwood GE5030 (1989, 2x7bands, THD less than 0.009% at 1 kHZ)

STB: BigTV
DVDP: Sony NS708
LCD TV: Sony KV-37S400 (37") Bravia 2

Speaker cables: TDK Super Accurate Cable CA-QL601 (PCOCC), 2x4.5m
Analog IC: VDH D 102 MK III (0.5m), Audio Art IC-3 (1m), CA reference cable (o.75m)
Coaxial cable: CA ref (1m)
HDMI: CA ref (3m)
Component video: Profigold PGV 332 (1.5m)

Servo Stab: Krykard 3KVA with RFI Filter and spike suppressor (connected to mains wall socket through a Crabtree 16A plug top and to the AV components through a extension box with Crabtree 5A sockets and an Anchor switch, main power cables are all 4 sq mm Finolex/Havells 3 core)

Sources not shown in figures: Dual CS5000 TT, Sony PCM-D50 pro digital recorder/player, Macbook Pro (Intel duo)

Stray cables left unused: A bunch of QED Qunex 1, Monster Interlink 100 RCA interconnects, Bandridge SVL3302 component video cable, VDH Clearwater speaker cables

Comment: Speakers are in the cabinet shown for the past few years. I know many people would object to that. I own them for nearly 20 years, and I know they sound better this way than putting them on so so stands. However, some future planning is on to put them on very very heavy and stable stands.

There are 8 pictures in all. The last 2 pictures show how the CDs and cassettes are stored in drawers in the cabinet. There is space for all kinds of media there, although currently I have already run out of space.

img01c.jpg

img02j.jpg

img03.jpg

img04a.jpg

img05u.jpg

img06b.jpg

img07.jpg

img08.jpg

Great setup Asit. I hope I will get some high end equipment myself over few years. Like Clint Eastwood said in Gran Torino ( I saw it fri night) - man builds this stuff in 50 years.

Placement of speakers in cabinets do look a little "different" than what most people do, specially that lower media cabinet jutting out would cause some of the sound to reflect early.

Hi,

Very very nice :clapping: !! neat looking and even more neatly organised,I only wish I could arrange them in such neat manner :p !

I see that inside room is stacked with Musical instruments ! So you practice ? does you son show any interest in these ? or only confined to Cricket ?? (Am one of those oddities who don't follow this sport,But I love to play some instrument )

Anyways it was pleasure seeing your setup virtually :eek:hyeah: !!

Regards.

Hi anm,
The lower cabinet doors are usually closed when music is being played, and so sound from the speakers do not reflect from them.

Hi soundsgreat,
Yes, I am rigorously trained in Indian classical music effectively from as early as I can remember. Although I have not taken it up as a profession, I very well could. Those are 3 tambouras (or tanpuras, as we call them in Bengali) that you see in that room inside. That is my private room and houses along with those tambouras, a harmonium, 2 pairs of tabla, 2 electronic tambouras, 1 electronic tabla (called talmala from a company called Sarang from Bangalore), some arrangement for house recording. That is the room for my "riyaaz" (practice). It also houses a desk for my academic work and bookshelves. No, my son does not sing, but he is tremendously fond of good music and has wonderful musical appreciation for his age. My wife was a professional dancer before marriage and has travelled all over performing.

:lol:
I know the doors would be closed. But still the center portion of your unit seems to be jutting out by a few inches with doors closed.

regards

Hi anm,
The lower cabinet doors are usually closed when music is being played, and so sound from the speakers do not reflect from them.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back