Sony 46W950A or LG 49UB850T - pls help finalize

anshuvishal

Dear All,

This is my first post on forum. First of all many thanks to moderators for creating such an amazing platform where we all can share our views & seek help/support.

Need your advice... I need to finalize between 2 models Sony 46W950A & LG 49UB850T. The difference is about 25k in price of both. However I'm confused due to following ...

While I like the quality of Sony, however LG is 4k. LG is 4K but IPS display and images looks dull while comparing to Sony. I think Sony has better motion (800 hz vs 100 hz in LG). Only think I'm not sure is like how smart is Sony in terms of internet usage...Can someone suggest W950A is really smart & easy to operate for like Mobile Screen Mirroring, Internet browsing as in LG is giving some Web OS with Magic Remote.

If i look at future, should i better go for 4K...

Sony triluminous provides amazing colours, however do we really like to see them often in our house or will we go with energy saving mode as it might irritate our eyes...(may be someone who already has can share his experience)

Sony has Active 3D and LG has Passive. I heard Active 3D cause some flickering that is normally not in case of Passive. Glasses are light weight in Passive, though 3D depth is better in active. There are batteries in Active. So which one is better ??

pls share your views & help me finalize...

If you want better blacks and better picture clarity, then its the 46W950A. It also has the least input lag. Btw, Sony has a 200Hz Panel and not 800 Hz Panel.

If you want better viewing angles and if you want to view super HD photos and use it also as a computer monitor, then you need to consider the LG. But remember, 4k or not, Sony has the better picture clarity.

Reg the settings, you need to customize the settings based on your likes for the ambient lighting in your home be it what ever Tv you are buying.

And for 3D, I don't have any idea because I know for sure that I am not going to watch any content in 3D other than couple of movies. 3D is not even going to .5% of viewing when compared to 2D contents. Having that in mind, always prefer 2D performance and don't let the 3D performance of the TV sway polls ;-)

Hi Anshu,

I was also in the market for sony 800 series and then heard about low cost 4K Tv,s and on this independence day a very good deal on LG 49UB850 Tv,which i bought without hesitation,and , since last few days i have been thanking my stars that i bought this LG 4K,at such a good price though even viewing DTH HD channels,the picture is very good.and natural.

before that after reading reviews on the net Sony 4K had 93/100,samsung HU8500 had 93/100 points while LG had 92/100 points,,all these 4K TV,s had points way above top end normal HD Tv,s from different manufacturers.

Initially LG UB850 had very bad points,but as there was a firmaware update on the TV ,it raised the bar of this TV to 4K TV,s from Sony and Samsung.

i without hesitation recommend LG UB850 4K TV,

Cheers

mekr

mekr & gp_freak, thanks for your advice.
I've decided to go with Sony. Now 1 more confusion, can you pls help

which one among these models

46W950A
50W900B
50W800A

Hi Mekr,
Thanks for candid review. How is the sound, it seems a bit low to me in the LG model.

Regards,
Vishal

46W950A
50W900B
50W800A

I will prefer 950A is stocks are available. Just bought one yesterday.
The reasons were very simple.

950A is a VA tri luminous panel and 900B is a IPS(people say, I didn't research this) tri luminous panel.
200 Hz vs 100 Hz.

But, if you going to watch Tv with lights on in night you shouldn't find much difference between both.

800 series I didn't even consider since it was lacking in refresh rate and Truluminous.

3D and sound I didn't even consider. I went ahead by Prioritizing only the 2D quality.

LG 49UB850T - pls help finalize

Congrats gp_freak for your purchase, yes 46w950a is amazing piece

Folks,
Can you share any more comments for LG 49UB850T (4k series)...

Hi Anshu,

Sound of LG 49ub850 is weak point,but then what I have read on the net, the sound of led TV,s is a weak point, and That is why led buyers go for soundbar or home theater to improve the sound of led TV,s

I bought the LG UHD. Many things LG sounded better (A Sony TV user for almost 15 years). Sony quality is questionable nowadays. Do google about 15 million TVs recalled...and many folds did not get recalled due to a Panel problem. Sony faces a CA suit in US, fyi.

Now to LG, made in Korea, 2 year Panel warranty, UHD.
Magic remote, 3D (Samsung's 50 incher UHD did not come with 3D). Actually I hate 3D, but, with a good quality 3D content understood lately what it can do. I got a good quality 3D content (Rio2) and watched and amazed! Still do not like Active3D though.

LG picture is on par if not better with Samsung. Samsung has beaten long back anyone else including Sony on picture quality with their 7/8/9 series. Now I was just comparing LG and Sammy, and do not see anything big. But, according to my friend in a TV showroom, Sammy gets more quality issues than even LG. Didn't want to take a risk.

LG killer feature set is uncomparable to even Sammy... Do a google and will find out. WIDI, wifi, DLNA, local dimming, HEVC Coding, H.264 codec, aptx (better bluetooth quality), wireless/bluetooth sync, motion control with a camera, USB 3.0, HDMI 2.0, LAN, Time machine (recording), sleek Web OS, sleek and stylish thin frame.

Look at this:
http://donotbuysony.wordpress.com/2013/11/27/double-image-horizontal-stripes-sony-bravia/

for me Sony looks very industrial and outdated. So think and decide and dont pay for Sony assuming they give quality! Be sensible! :licklips:

Last edited:
LG picture is on par if not better with Samsung. Samsung has beaten long back anyone else including Sony on picture quality with their 7/8/9 series.

for me Sony looks very industrial and outdated. So think and decide and dont pay for Sony assuming they give quality! Be sensible! :licklips:

First congrats on your buy. Enjoy your new TV well.:clapping:

Btw, there are certain points I do not agree with the points you have quoted here.

In Terms of Picture clarity, Sony and Samsung are clearly ahead of LG LEDs. Infact the only area where Sony is currently lacking is the FUll HD Range in 2014 and that is because Sony is using IPS panels of LG ?

I am not sure how you have come to conclusion that Samsung 7 and 8 series have beat Sony in PQ, let alone LG beating Sony and Samsung.

46W950A
50W900B
50W800A

Hi,

I had seen the 900B in action. I would suggest not to buy it. Asked them to switch to start sports HD channel and watched the match. Could find a lotta motion artifacts even at a fair viewing distance. The colors were not great but i guess that is dure to bad calibration from the store guys. Its very vivid and bright in the dynamic mode. I personally dont like it when LEDs do that. The colors get too unnatural! the football field was looking like some toxic chemical :D
Have not seen the other two models as they were not on display.

Hi guys I just booked sony 46w950a from croma for ? 79,994

Is it good website? Been searching everywhere couldn't find this cheap for this model

Now am skeptical about the website

Has anyone bought tv from croma retail online?

Share your feedbacks

Thank you

Today I seen both of model at Rajkot, in Brand Showroom.
But LED have this + -.

But, My choice is LGLB750T, Bcoz of Picture quality is Good, (not Uptomark like Sony) Magic Remort, 3D, and Simple operation through Web OS.

I cannot agree more to the comments made above about Sony. I have been a Sony enthusiast / fan all my life. I used to have Sony 29" CRT for close to 8 years before I bought Sony 46" 3 yrs back. The CRT was a work horse and it worked amazingly for 8 yrs.

However I'm unable to say the same for the Sony Edge LED TV. Some 18 months after I bought it (after warranty period), some chip (IC) in the main motherboard blew and I couldnt' see any picture. I had to spend a fortune replacing the chip on Sony. I have surge a protector and a stabilizer for the TV. The service guy took the main mobo, replaced the chip and it took them about 15 days to do it.

Incidentally, I was in Japan last month and I was asking my Japanese colleague about Sony's quality. My colleague said that they have a joke about Sony in Japan - they call it "Sony Timer"! :) Sony has mastered the art of making gadgets that'll break right after their warranty is over (like it happened for me as well). The problem is so notorious in Japan, that Sony has lost its reputation even in Japan, apparently!

That is a BIG disappointment. One can argue that this can happen to any TV.. but why would I pay a premium for a Sony, if its quality is as good (or worse) as a LG or a Samsung. I'd rather atleast reduce my capital cost upfront.

I agree that Sony has a slightly better pic quality. But I've seen that you can only 'realize' it, when you put the TVs side by side. For casual viewing at home - it doesn't make much difference, IMHO.

I'm currently looking at buying a LG 55UB850T or a Sammy 55HU5500 for the Diwali sale to replace my Sony in my HT setup. The Sony will move to the Living room, retiring my old LG CRT. The price difference between these models is about Rs.30K!! I'll start a new thread asking for suggestions on it here ==> http://www.hifivision.com/televisio...k-tvs-lg-55ub850t-vs-55hu8500-non-curved.html :). Please do help me out, when you get a chance!

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back