Sony 900/950 or Samsung 7500/8000 or LG 6910/6620 Series

eg101

Planning to buy 42" or 46" tv. Need guidance - primary requirements are following

- Very good picture (FHD) and sound quality
- TV should be internet enabled
- Good 3D quality with 3D content (Not biased with active vs passive as both has pros and cons as long as tv is not UHD).
- Cost

I have explored Sony/Samsung/LG/Panasonic models and almost ruled out LG and Panasonic because of picture quality with 2D content. I somehow didn't like color fidelity in those two brands (but I must admit that to me Sony 3D quality is the most inferior among these brands).

Sony picture quality always looks better than almost all other brands when compared side by side. Exception is Samsung 7500 or 8000 series.

Now, I'm confused - the Samsung 7500 or 8000 tvs are as expensive as Sony models and I'm doubtful about Samsung product quality and customer service etc and I also hear that the sound quality in Samsung tv is not great. Input here will help.

Another reason for confusion is the cost. My viewing distance will be 12-22 feet. Mostly I'll be watching from 12ft distance - 40/42 inch tv will suffice. But I may occasionally watch a cricket/football match or a great movie while having lunch or dinner and in that case viewing distance will be 22 ft. So, picture on 40" tv may look smaller but if I switch to 46" tv, the best buy price of these Sony/Samsung tvs are ~1.25 lakh. That forces me to reconsider my options - typically LG ones.

Any input to help me finalising the models will be of great help.

I have sony 40W900. It is an excellent TV with outstanding 2D/3D PQ. Black level is good dues to local dimming. Sound is OK, though I have attached Onkyo home theater for complete experience. Overall, very satisfied.

I was same u.

confused samsung f7500 or w950

took in end w950

its awesome ..i dont want panel problems .. so avoided samsung ..even though quality of picture was better in samsung.

Congrats.. Attach a good quality voltage stabilizer and spike suppressor (use belkin). It will go a long way to minimize panel issues.

I was same u.

confused samsung f7500 or w950

took in end w950

its awesome ..i dont want panel problems .. so avoided samsung ..even though quality of picture was better in samsung.
Thanks. How's 3D quality with some 3D movie content?
The demo video on Samsung showed better depth than that on Sony.

Thanks. How's 3D quality with some 3D movie content?
The demo video on Samsung showed better depth than that on Sony.

3d depth is awesome .. but i feel motion little slow during 3d

3d is nothing but .. 2 layers of images .. 1 image appears normal.. another image appears outside of tv ..

i watched many 3d movies ..till now no headeche .. if u keep brightness high ..you may get headeche.. keep default.. but the experience is awesome till now .. 3d video motion could have been more faster as in lg

i rate it 3d 4/5

HD is purely magical 6/5

SD is super 4/5

you have to change settings .. to get the best result ..normally default sony keeps all settings to low ..with ecosensor mode on. keep vivid mode with ultra contrast

LG 3d > sony , samsung

play with settings .. u will get best picture

picture could have been more sharp ..i will find this setting soon for sharp pic

Last edited:
SD pics at night with all lights off (normally other LED become grayish when all lights off)

HD RIP

this was posted by MR. shaiju of plasma with nikon dslr
DSC01662.JPG

see the colors dull ..

so never go for plasma in this life ..

u judge daily sony w950 and samsung f7500
both have pros and cons ..both are gud

Last edited:
Thanks a ton for these snaps - these're quite helpful.

> both have pros and cons ..both are gud

You've already explained the pros of Sony so far :) What're the cons of Sony sets that you've experienced so far? And how serious are those?
Also what are other shortcomings of Samsung (other than "panel problems") that you're aware of?
When I revisit the store next time, I'll take decision based on these inputs.

Thanks a ton for these snaps - these're quite helpful.

> both have pros and cons ..both are gud

You've already explained the pros of Sony so far :) What're the cons of Sony sets that you've experienced so far? And how serious are those?
Also what are other shortcomings of Samsung (other than "panel problems") that you're aware of?
When I revisit the store next time, I'll take decision based on these inputs.

cons in this model??

i cant think of any .. no clouding .. black levels superbly great even when all lights switched off.. other LED look gray in totally dark rooms ..except plasmas

what more tests you want?

SD upscaling really great ... in vivid mode ... only con is when u keep w950 and f7500 side by side

samsung is more brighter and sharper ..

skin tones in sony are corekt... colors too you will like when you watch daily ..

this was posted by MR. shaiju of plasma with nikon dslr

so never go for plasma in this life ..

u judge daily sony w950 and samsung f7500
both have pros and cons ..both are gud

Invisible: I am seeing this as a kind of pattern for you. Just because you hate plasma you do not have go around discrediting or misguiding people. You make Shaiju reference for wrong reasons. He has posted that pic in burn in settings which is important for plasma and you are comparing it with brightest settings in W950. This forum is to guide people with meaningful comments and suggestions.

I suggest you be objective with your opinions and not let your misunderstanding of other people or technologies cloud recommendations. Keep this thread for what the OP has asked for.

eg101 - from what I have experienced, overall W950 is the best TV if you have the budget, plus Sony also has extended warranty and new year gifts making it a nice one. If you dont have the budget, look at Samsung next and then LG. Whatever you buy ensure you buy extended warranty along with.

Last edited:
Moderator note: Posting removed as it derails thread, if you have a point post in F8500 thread not in this thread. Again, do not compare photos, compare TVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with Madbullram on this. What you're doing is misguiding people. You're also saying that plasma is better than LED which I think is not right. Both have their pros and cons so think before commenting.

The picture that I take using Panasonic lumix is more vivid , colorful than the full frame DSLR , that does not mean it is better than DSLR

Guys I have not done any compariosion of those models in discussion, but have a feeling that in general Sony picture is artificially vivid including their old CRTs
, but many like it

Nobody denies the fact that Sony 950 is one of the best premium leds around.
Over years I found that leds and plasmas dish out different kind of pictures.
plasmas are being adjudged the best in PQ for quite sometime now by the experts.
I am not aware of anybody saying that F8500 is better than Sony 950.
This comparision between leds and plasmas does not make sense.
We always should talk about best among leds and best among plasmas.

But honestly speaking, the picture in Life of PI shown earlier, is not vibrant in terms of color and blacks. But the colors appear natural to me.

There are two kinds of pictures: vibrant,bright,sharp and inaccurate colors.
And a picture with natural colors.
And the truth is we tend to enjoy both of them depending on our moods and the type of content.

> This comparision between leds and plasmas does not make sense.

Now, I'm little confused (may be my lack of knowledge). What I understand from these links (below) both 7500/8000 of Samsung are LED models - is it not so?

46" F7500 (UA46F7500BJ) - OVERVIEW | SAMSUNG

dont buy 7500 bcoz it has steel plate design ..looks like eating steel plate

.. only compare w950 and f8000 .. go buy avatar bluray disc .. play in both .. see picture quality and 3d and sound .. then take ur liked tv

Just checked the LG 55" OLED with curved display. It's performance is stunning, well it should be for a whooping 9 Lakhs.

Back