Sony BDP-S1500 is half the price of Pioneer BDP180. Is it worth ???

chaitanyaht3

Dear All,

Sony BDP-S1500 is half the price of Pioneer BDP180.
Of course sony doesn't have 3D, 4K and Miracast.
Apart from that, do we get the same audio quality as pioneer?

I mean, if 4K and 3D are not a priority, is it worth buying Sony BDP-S1500??
Or is there something else I am not understanding? like Reliability, firmware updates, etc etc ??

Can you advise please seniors....

Thanks & Regards,
Naveen

Dear All,

Or is there something else I am not understanding? like Reliability, firmware updates, etc etc ??

Thanks & Regards,
Naveen

I use a Sony BDP S-1500 since more than 15 months. So far reliability hasn't been an issue. It has a Coaxial Out if you want it to be connected to an external AMP and do not want to use HDMI. The Java based GUI hangs sometimes when listing large files from an external HDD, other than that no issues. It can play almost any format of videos/audios from ext HDD. Off course BR is locked to region C and DVD to region 5. Audio & Video quality is pretty good. I don't have another player to compare but my opinion is it is worth every penny.

Thanks,
Rajiv

Dear All,

Thanks & Regards,
Naveen
To keep it short and sweet [or sour;) ]
This sony player is crap.

wow.... two diametrically opposite views on sony .... thank you very much Rajiv and prateekatasniya !!!!
I have compared. Otherwise wouldnt have degraded that product.
Go to any reliance digital.
They have these Sony players on demo (at least they had when I got the demo)
Take a hard drive with movies in it and check the quality.

Have recently bought Sony BDP S1500 from one of the fellow members for nearly half the market price and can safely say the this is worth every penny at 3K INR.

Since this is my first BDP player, I don't have a basis for comparison.

Plays almost all format from 1TB HDD without any fuss.

I use a Sony BDP S-1500 since more than 15 months. So far reliability hasn't been an issue. It has a Coaxial Out if you want it to be connected to an external AMP and do not want to use HDMI. The Java based GUI hangs sometimes when listing large files from an external HDD, other than that no issues. It can play almost any format of videos/audios from ext HDD. Off course BR is locked to region C and DVD to region 5. Audio & Video quality is pretty good. I don't have another player to compare but my opinion is it is worth every penny.

Thanks,
Rajiv
is atmos bit-stream working when playing large files from an external HDD?

hey guys ... right now I usually play downloaded movies via laptop and yamaha rxv681
I am getting DOLBY DIGITAL and DTS most of the times.

The only reason for looking for a BDP is to enjoy LOSSLESS audio in movies.
DTS-HD Master Audio & Dolby TRUE HD.

As far as I can see, PIONEER BDP180 can handle all kinds of lossless audio.
Sony BDP S-1500 can handle DTS-HD (which is still a lossey format). But it can not handle DTS HD MA. (i may be wrong here)

Lot of discussions might have happened here, but still I am wondering,....
an original BLUERAY disc played by a BLUERAY player sounds much better than downloaded (DTS and Dolby Digital) content ????

hey guys ... right now I usually play downloaded movies via laptop and yamaha rxv681

Sony BDP S-1500 can handle DTS-HD (which is still a lossey format). But it can not handle DTS HD MA. (i may be wrong here)

an original BLUERAY disc played by a BLUERAY player sounds much better than downloaded (DTS and Dolby Digital) content ????

I have a few downloads which are played as if the movie is played using a Blu-ray disc.
In a blind test it would be difficult to judge if the movie is played from a disc or HDD.

till now I didn't download any DTS-HD MA & Dolby TRUE HD files.
But as you said, if I try those formats, they could be as good as a blueray disc ...
I am not sure how far my laptop can handle them in the first place ...

As far as audio is concerned, If they are lossless, then there shouldn't be a difference between BR Disc & BR Rip..

Atmos bit streaming works for the Test Atmos tracks, but recently got a BR ripped containing atmos doesn't play.

If it capable of playing Atmos test tracks, then it should also be able to play movies with Atmos.. May be the movie file format were different.. x265?..

Better get a media player if you don't want to use discs.
Something like this
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/mecool-4k-60fps-hdr10-h-265-hevc-vp9-android-tv-box.69475/

+1 to Android TV Box..You get a Kodi media player by default (or) which you can install from playstore.. Almost all media playback is possible with these lil boxes..

I'm talking about this model.. higher priced ones might be good.. but this one is not.. very bad picture when played movies stored in hard disk..

Prateek,

I am using the much lower version s1100, I do find the picture clarity. Also it will be able to FLAC and WAV files. Slightly slow in performance but an awesome player for the price.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back