SONY KDL-42W700B Stopped working within 3 Years due to Display Panel Issue

gainil

Hi,

My SONY KDL-42W700B stopped working just few days back, I had used it just 2 Year 10 Months. Had it checked by SONY service center guy, who said the Display Panel is faulty (Hit gently on the panel with knuckles when TV is powered on, it shows greenish white lightning like light - that was his way of diagnosing) and gave estimate of Rs.23000/- which will come with 1 year Warranty.

23K panel for a TV which costed 64K within 3 years? :mad:

Read online forums that there are many customer's who have faced some or the other problems with SONY TV just within 2-3 years of buy, is SONY compromising on quality? (I still have a perfectly working SONY audio system got 14-15 years back and I love it)

Really not able to decide anything, should go ahead with panel change (and may be wait for another bomb after 1 year :)), go for a cheap 42-50 inch LED TV and connect Raspberry Pi

Its quite frustrating actually, so just wanted to get some opinion, suggestion.. lol or just some words to console myself :)

Sorry to hear about your TV prob. Most brand service engineers say that the life of LED TVs is just about 3 years. Makes sense to buy a cheaper TV.

Sorry to hear about the panel issue. Yeh, that's correct, many Sony customers (including me) have faced or are facing same issues all around.

Based on your situations and budget, you can decide to replace panel or go for a new tv. Frankly, I could not afford to go for a new tv and ended up changing the panel of my 55HX850 few months back. The TV was exact 4 years then and extended warranty was also over. Bargain hard, in case you decide to change panel. If need be reach out to their higher ups in Delhi office.

I think I will be buying (as and when it is) a cheaper model for sure with extended warranty.

Yes, the quality has gone down over the years as against the prices, which have gone up. Just for comparison, my 40W300A is about 12 years old and still going strong without any issues (touch wood).

Good luck!

Regards, Amit

What happening to tvs these days... I mean after spending thousands n even lakhs, the hardly last 3 yrs. My old Sony 32" lcd is now almost 7 yrs old... Its still going strong, no issues at all... Touchwood.

Sorry to hear about your Sony TV's panel breakdown. My KDL was bleeding and the technician changed some seven or eight "ant" sized (diodes?) parts on the board and cost was around 3k+ only (Parts + labor + visiting charges).
By the way, have you ever thought of giving it a try with a projector, instead of replacing the panel / buying a newer, cheaper tv. There's a thread by @elangoas on this very issue.

Hi

The fact of the matter is that consumer electronics are made with cheap China or god knows from where components which do not last long enough...hence you will find also that warranty offered is limited.....some TVs offer 3 years but after 2 years the panel gives away and then since under warranty, the company will say panel no more available, they will offer to buy back your TV for a merger amount.....or else say will update to you a latest model at a discounted rate...which anyways you would have got if you search harder......

Consumer electronic products are become a business deal for companies who are just out to make profits and nothing else....customer service does not matter at all.....

Rather then spending too much on big brands etc....you are better off buying a TV based on your actual requirements and use....TV size, features, performance etc....

i am not brand conscious but look out for VFM products which will serve the intended use...

Anyways this is my opinion which is the fact and faced by many.......consumer demands are more and no one will listen to customer complaints....

Hi,

My SONY KDL-42W700B stopped working just few days back, I had used it just 2 Year 10 Months. Had it checked by SONY service center guy, who said the Display Panel is faulty (Hit gently on the panel with knuckles when TV is powered on, it shows greenish white lightning like light - that was his way of diagnosing) and gave estimate of Rs.23000/- which will come with 1 year Warranty.

Sorry to her that buddy.. If you had bought 2 yrs extended warranty, you would have been covered by now.. Either they would have replaced the panel free of cost (or) replaced with new TV.. Anyways you can't predict these things..

23K panel for a TV which costed 64K within 3 years? :mad:

My Sony LCD 46CX520 developed panel issue after 42 months from the date of purchase..I had 36 months warrnty.. Unfortunately i was asked to pay 40K to replace panel for a 65K TV.. I didn't replace the panel..

Read online forums that there are many customer's who have faced some or the other problems with SONY TV just within 2-3 years of buy, is SONY compromising on quality? (I still have a perfectly working SONY audio system got 14-15 years back and I love it)

Really not able to decide anything, should go ahead with panel change (and may be wait for another bomb after 1 year :)), go for a cheap 42-50 inch LED TV and connect Raspberry Pi

Its quite frustrating actually, so just wanted to get some opinion, suggestion.. lol or just some words to console myself :)

Don't think it is Sony which is compromising.. I have seen almost multiple panel failure threads from different brands here.. Think it is compromised technology..Even flagship plasma are no exception to this..

Best is to spend on a new cheap TV with maximum warranty..

Also check with Sony if your dead Sony TV can make any value (electronics inside)..Motherboard might fectch some value..

Thanks! everyone, for reading my post and for the replies,

All-in-all, it seems that 'Luck' is controlling this technology, too bad that many of us ran out of it and couldn't get the VFM

@MJ23Bulls, thanks for pointing out to Projectors, but it will need some reading/reviewing and planning for setting it up, going through @elangoas projector post, reading it feels that this can be good in much lower price, but its not easy as TV to operate for parents and kids

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back