Sony KDL-55/47/42 W800A - Owners and Aspirants

I am not aware of the latest sony prices but price seems comparable to what infibeam(which usually offers the lower prices) is offering.
But you could always bargain for more depending on the response of the dealer.

Hey Guys...

Here's new 47W800 owners here. Upgraded from 29 inches CRT, so it was a big leap and loving the picture quality of it. In fact, in last 3 days, have watched more movies than I watched in last few years at home. :)

Regarding, moment I upgraded to Tata Sky HD, even the quality of SD channels went up.
I somehow expected worse. 720p rendering is stunning, 1080p is sort of dream...

As everyone observed, 2d to 3d is not good at all. Wasn't in my priority, but still sharing for those who care.

Original 3d is good. I just played a demo video from you-tube, and it was breathtaking. Yet to see an original movie though.

Sound is decent - 7/10. Yet to explore and play with all the options available.

I connected my USB hard-disk and watches few movies. It successfully played sample avi and mkvs which I downloaded in recent years. Interestingly, it couldn't play some avi files which I downloaded like 10 year back.

Btw: once prior to demo team visit, highly likely you would see lot of Ads in your TV. It's because TV is in demo mode. I spent good time getting rid of them. After spending some good time learnt that I need to do factory reset to get out of demo mode. Google on this, you will easily get useful links.

Demo guy told we can't connect external keyboard or mouse with this TV. Maybe he spoke the official language, is it true, no workarounds possible?

I never purchased an HDMI cable, demo guy suggested to buy one that supports 1.4 version. Which one are you guys buying? He was having one with 2 mtr. (cost 550/-) and another 3 mtr. (cost 750/-), but I didn't purchase from him. Thought to ebay/ flipkart a bit if there can be better deal.

Extended warranty cost for 2nd and 3rd year was quoted at showroom was around Rs. 7.5k total, whereas demo guy told me that it was Rs. 3.5k. Need to check who's right. We can buy it anytime first year. I'm thinking of going and buy one - just for peace of mine.

My hunt list had Samsung F5500, 50ST60 in top priorities, after I failed to get a demo, this was my third option. I compared this comprehensively with W950 series. Side by side, it was a better TV. I played same 3D side by side on both, and colors in W950 were great. However, on watching W800 alone with 950 switched off, there was hardly much that I disliked. It was all a pleasure. That helped me reach to the conclusion that I don't have an eye of videophiles ;-)

Hence, decided to save those extra thousands and spend on home theater.

Lastly, there were lot many concerned faces over size of TV, I went against the wisdom of many, and now love to see see the pleasure on their faces while watching the movies. In just few days, people have got adjusted this set as it was here since forever.

Thanks if you happen to read my post till this line. More laters... Cheers! :)

Bought Sony 47W800 few weeks ago. Awesome experience. Upgraded from a Samsung LCD. Huge improvement. Highly recommended TV. Compared it with the 950 series and found 800 VFM.

All the owners of w800 are the ones who did the best thing possible for 2013. W800 is definitely a very capable entertainer and a sure VFM.

As far as w905 is concerned , the latest review of whathifi.com only gives it a 4 star. The issues cited are as follows.

AGAINST

Whites could be brighter.
Contrast could be better.
Lacks picture punch of rivals.

So, one need not worry much of missing a w905.

I compared this comprehensively with W950 series. Side by side, it was a better TV. I played same 3D side by side on both, and colors in W950 were great. However, on watching W800 alone with 950 switched off, there was hardly much that I disliked. It was all a pleasure. That helped me reach to the conclusion that I don't have an eye of videophiles ;-)

Did you find the W800 better than W950?? For 2D?
I looked at them closely and the W950 looked superior .. better motion rate so sports and motion looked better and 950 had deeper blacks. I am no expert but the difference in quality was very obvious. Would love to hear your views/experience ..

BTW - Panny Brand shop in Ghatkopar has ST60 and im planning to head over there.

Did you find the W800 better than W950?? For 2D?
I looked at them closely and the W950 looked superior .. better motion rate so sports and motion looked better and 950 had deeper blacks. I am no expert but the difference in quality was very obvious. Would love to hear your views/experience ..

BTW - Panny Brand shop in Ghatkopar has ST60 and im planning to head over there.

950 is better. No doubt. If money is not a constraint then that's amongst the best led in market. However, 800 was the best per my needs, budget and eyes.

950 is better. No doubt. If money is not a constraint then that's amongst the best led in market. However, 800 was the best per my needs, budget and eyes.

I agree. W950 is superior due to VA panel, local dimming, better motion flow and Triluminous technology. But it cost much more.

The 800 seems to be the best VFM in Sony W I agree.

However if you are buying for 5 years and as tech changes so quickly, does it make sense to buy "higher" vs "lower" 10% than ones budget?

Hey guys,
Sharing my revised Picture settings.
Makes it even better now ;)

Scene Select: Cinema
Picture Mode:*Cinema 1
Backlight: 9 (Make sure you turn "off" all settings in System Settings/Eco)
Contrast/Picture: 87
Brightness: 50
Colour: 55
Hue: 0
Colour Temperature: Warm 1
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot Noise Reduction: Off
Reality Creation: Off
Smooth Gradation: Off
Motionflow: Clear
Film Mode/Cinema Drive: Auto

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector: Off
Adaptive/Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Medium
Gamma: 0
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Colour: Low
White Balance: Red Gain 0, Green Gain 0, Blue Gain -3, Red Cutoff 0, Green Cutoff 0, Blue Cutoff 0
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off

Enjoy.

Cheers !!!

Hey guys,
Sharing my revised Picture settings.
Makes it even better now ;)

Scene Select: Cinema
Picture Mode:*Cinema 1
Backlight: 9 (Make sure you turn "off" all settings in System Settings/Eco)
Contrast/Picture: 87
Brightness: 50
Colour: 55
Hue: 0
Colour Temperature: Warm 1
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot Noise Reduction: Off
Reality Creation: Off
Smooth Gradation: Off
Motionflow: Clear
Film Mode/Cinema Drive: Auto

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector: Off
Adaptive/Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Medium
Gamma: 0
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Colour: Low
White Balance: Red Gain 0, Green Gain 0, Blue Gain -3, Red Cutoff 0, Green Cutoff 0, Blue Cutoff 0
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off

Enjoy.

Cheers !!!

How to check usage hours in 42w800. I tried but its not working.

Its works for me ..thanks a lot for Quick and perfect Reply

So what was the result?
Used set or fresh set?
What price did you pay?

Always remember, if the price is lower compared to what is offered on an average in the market, something is definately wrong and the chances of a demo/used set is high.

Make sure to check everything :)

Thanks Dirac. I see you have the Panny 220. Do you run the Region Free firmware?

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back