Sony KDL-55/47/42 W800A - Owners and Aspirants

Guys, I got a question. Have been watching 720/ 1080 rips etc. so far, finally purchased my first DVD- Life of a Pi from Flipkart, player it on my DVD player, somehow to quality isn't *that* good. It's not very bad either, but somehow I expected it to be better.. atleast par with what 720 rips displayed. Do you know what could be the reason?
My DVD player is 8 year old, and I connect to W800 via. component cables. Could that be the reason (i.e. not using HDMI cables)? Or, should I be doing something different in TV settings? Changing Scene mode to "Cinema" (from "General") did help, but I still expect bit better quality. Will appreciate any help!! Cheers and Thanks.

A non upscaled DVD is 480p I think. Hence the difference.

Thanks Shuv. Some new learning for me. Is there a good way to know upfront which DVD I should be buying? From Flipkart's site there's no information on which DVD has 480p, and which one has better (upscaled) source content.

The issue is with the format, not the particular disc. A new gen upscaling DVD player would improve matters somewhat. Now, you have to decide if you want to buy a DVD player in 2013 or pay a bit more for a BDP.

The issue is with the format, not the particular disc. A new gen upscaling DVD player would improve matters somewhat. Now, you have to decide if you want to buy a DVD player in 2013 or pay a bit more for a BDP.

If I read between lines, you seem to have recommended to buy BDP rather than a better DVD player - and guess it makes perfect sense. I will get on BDP hunt around Diwali. Till that time, is there an interim alternative? Do you think playing DVD in laptop and using VLC player (etc.) can help achieve content "upscaling"? :)

If I read between lines, you seem to have recommended to buy BDP rather than a better DVD player - and guess it makes perfect sense. I will get on BDP hunt around Diwali. Till that time, is there an interim alternative? Do you think playing DVD in laptop and using VLC player (etc.) can help achieve content "upscaling"? :)

All up-scaling are necessarily interpolations (false extra information) added to mimic 720 or 1080. Either way there is very little chance of getting a better quality even with Laptop. Some 'Oppo' DVD players are known to have good up-scaling results through HDMI out. But it is a step backwards if you ask me. Leave behind the old DVD. Move on to a Blu Ray player or 720/1080 rips.

I also bought the w800a last week. Watched a lots of 3d and HD rips on the tv and just amazed by the quality.

Bihani

To check usage hours, the combination is

I+, 5, Vol-, Power (Press one after the other)

Note: TV should be off when sequence is entered.

Thanks for the update but got confused how to use the combination....
Do I need to enter the combination using the Remote, but not able to view I+...

Can you please elaborate more....

Thanks

Dear all,
Finally i am also in this W800A community...Brought 47''.

First of all i thank our forum members who guided me well in to buying a good product. I have a least knowledge on LED Tvs but our members transfered me good knowledge about tv and it helped a lot in my purchase..(though it put a hole in my wallet..:eek:)...

Brought this TV last sunday (25th Aug) and waiting for installation.. :licklips:

i need calibration settings for the best outcome from this TV.. I have seen a calibration settings from the same thread.. Is this the best settings or any where i could refer...

Also please inform is there any precautions to take care while installing or initial run...

Thanks for reading..

Dear all,
Finally i am also in this W800A community...Brought 47''.

First of all i thank our forum members who guided me well in to buying a good product. I have a least knowledge on LED Tvs but our members transfered me good knowledge about tv and it helped a lot in my purchase..(though it put a hole in my wallet..:eek:)...

Brought this TV last sunday (25th Aug) and waiting for installation.. :licklips:

i need calibration settings for the best outcome from this TV.. I have seen a calibration settings from the same thread.. Is this the best settings or any where i could refer...

Also please inform is there any precautions to take care while installing or initial run...

Thanks for reading..

Well, first off congratulations.
Next, when the tv is installed, check the usage hours and ensure it is a new set.
The PQ settings were posted by me.
I think the PQ looks amazing with these settings :yahoo:
You can check it and post your views
Am sure you can find other settings online too. Just google it ;)

Well, first off congratulations.
Next, when the tv is installed, check the usage hours and ensure it is a new set.
The PQ settings were posted by me.
I think the PQ looks amazing with these settings :yahoo:
You can check it and post your views
Am sure you can find other settings online too. Just google it ;)

Thanks a lot karan for providing us calibration settings..
I have installed the TV and my wife and me were stunned at the PQ watching HD at home.. Connected Tata Sky and it is mind blowing..

Will search more settings and look for any tweaking oppourtunities check them and if it works ill share in this thread....

Thanks a lot karan for providing us calibration settings..
I have installed the TV and my wife and me were stunned at the PQ watching HD at home.. Connected Tata Sky and it is mind blowing..

Will search more settings and look for any tweaking oppourtunities check them and if it works ill share in this thread....

Thats good to hear :)
So did you check the usage hours? Was it brand new?
Also are you currently using the PQ settings posted by me or the default TV PQ settings?

Please help me out to find Nice TV setting - Audio and PQ for W800?

Use setting referred by Karan in this thread only ... I am following that and the result is awesome ....... here it is for yr ready reference ....

Scene Select: Cinema
Picture Mode:*Cinema 1
Backlight: 9 (Make sure you turn "off" all settings in System Settings/Eco)
Contrast/Picture: 87
Brightness: 50
Colour: 55
Hue: 0
Colour Temperature: Warm 1
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot Noise Reduction: Off
Reality Creation: Off
Smooth Gradation: Off
Motionflow: Clear
Film Mode/Cinema Drive: Auto

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector: Off
Adaptive/Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Low
Gamma: -2
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Colour: Low
White Balance: Red Gain 0, Green Gain 0, Blue Gain -3, Red Cutoff 0, Green Cutoff 0, Blue Cutoff 0
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off

Guys ... can anybody suggest me some stunning 3D BD movies to watch .... I am also a proud member of W800 club ( with a 47" + BDP S4100 ) and want to observe something out of the world in 3D.... so if anyone has some specific recommendation ......

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back