Sony KDL-55/47/42 W800A - Owners and Aspirants

guessmewho

I have a 32" LG80FR TV at home bought in 2009. After 4+ years I am now looking for a 55" LED 3D TV. I have narrowed down on Sony KDL-55W800A. I see that many here have already bought this TV and encouraging fellow HFV members to go ahead. I thought I would list out the resources that I found on the internet about this TV for everyone's use and use this thread to discuss the features, setting and other such stuff.
Current Owners, please feel free to use this thread to post your opinions, views and issues if any on this thread. As a soon to be owner I will keep adding interesting stuff.

Note: This TV sells outside India under different names like W802A, W805A and W807A. I have even heard of a W80. The Indian model does not come bundled with NFC remote.

Sony India Website Links:
55 inches model - KDL-55W800A
47 inches model - KDL-47W800A
42 inches model - KDL-42W800A

External Reviews
CNet Review (including video review)
AVForums
UK HDTV Test Review
Trusted Reviews
Television Info
What-Hifi
2013 Sony Smart TV User Interface Review

Youtube Videos Playlist
I have created a video playlist of all available videos for this model. Find it here

Pictures
While Sony India gives a good glimpse of the front and sides, could not find the rear photos.
KDL-55W800A.jpg rear.jpg

Prominent Features of this TV
  1. LED IPS panel (said to be sourced from LG. Better viewing angles)
  2. Passive 3D (easy on my eyes. comes with 4 glasses bundled)
  3. ARC (Audio return channel from same HDMI cable from TV to receiver)
  4. Bravia Sync (Connects all Bravia devices and controls them through TV remote
  5. MHL (Connects MHL smart phones through MHL port in TV disguised as HDMI)
  6. Wifi built in (No external Wifi dongle to purchase)
  7. 3G dongle (Sony has worked with Idea to give customers who don't have Wifi a dongle that will work right away with 3G. Comes with an offer as well)
  8. 4 HDMI Ports (compared to 3 of LG in 2013 models)
  9. Optical Audio Out
  10. 3 USB Ports (with capability to play a lot more extensions than earlier)
  11. DLNA (for viewing files from computer)
  12. Optional NFC (for mirroring smartphone screen)

My short review
Went to check this TV in reliance digital. The passive 3D part was good for me. I checked a nearby Samsung (active 3D) and felt it uncomfortable. But this could be a personal choice. TV looks good but not as good as the 2012 monolithic design of HX850. The picture was very good for my eyes. UI though not as fluid as say LD still was much better compared to earlier Sony models. I am going to buy this in another week or two and will give a more detailed review along with full pictures of my setup.

Last edited:
Hey,

Good thing you started this thread :)

I am a proud owner of a 47" W800a.
Am very happy with the PQ of the TV and also the black levels.
To my eyes, the black look black and the dark scenes are handeled pretty well.
I was so impressed, when i saw "evil dead" 2013 version the other night on this set. (It has loads of dark scenes).
Even the SD quality stuff look like HD on this set and the actual HD stuff is just WOW ;)

The only thing i am disappointed with is the sound that this set produces.
Need some solution for this.

Gaming again is fun on this set. Previously i was using the samsung LCD C530. The input lag on that set too was very low. 13 ms if i am not wrong.
So not much difference to report here.

The passive 3D too is very good and pleasing. Pretty satisfied with it.
Overall, would say that this is a VFM set :)

Would highly recommend it.

Cheers.

Just wanted to share my Picture settings for this set :)
After applying these, am absolutely in love my Sony 47"W800a :yahoo:
I like my picture to have that punch without looking dull and without loss of detail.
These settings can be used for both brightly lit room and dark rooms ;)
Do try them and let me know, what you think.

Scene Select: Cinema
Picture Mode:*Cinema 1
Backlight: 9 (Make sure you turn "off" all settings in System Settings/Eco)
Contrast/Picture: 87
Brightness: 50
Colour: 55
Hue: 0
Colour Temperature: Warm 1
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot Noise Reduction: Off
Reality Creation: Off
Smooth Gradation: Off
Motionflow: Clear
Film Mode/Cinema Drive: Auto

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector: Off
Adaptive/Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Low
Gamma: -2
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Colour: Low
White Balance: Red Gain 0, Green Gain 0, Blue Gain -3, Red Cutoff 0, Green Cutoff 0, Blue Cutoff 0
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off

Enjoy !!!

Cheers :cool:

guessmewho: If you are able to get a discount on the MRP that would be great. Most of the outlets do not give discount on Sony models. Probably its a policy from Sony not to give discounts. My friend may not give a discount but may be some lucky draw coupons or so. PM me if you are interested. I will provide you information.

Do they have a smart tv feature like Samsung or lg
Yes. It does. It may not be as sophisticated as say LG's but is good enough.

Thanks sgmane. But, I have already booked the TV :yahoo:. I am planning delivery on 15th August. Will post the review and pictures soon. Went to test it today at newly opened Croma @ Jaynagar. The showroom guys were awesome. Patiently explained everything to me and even took the TV from its wall mount to show me the rear connections (needed the measurement for the concealed wiring in my wall).

Yes. It does. It may not be as sophisticated as say LG's but is good enough.

Thanks sgmane. But, I have already booked the TV :yahoo:. I am planning delivery on 15th August. Will post the review and pictures soon. Went to test it today at newly opened Croma @ Jaynagar. The showroom guys were awesome. Patiently explained everything to me and even took the TV from its wall mount to show me the rear connections (needed the measurement for the concealed wiring in my wall).

Nice ...How much?

I am also thinking to buy 47w800a. WIll mostly buy it from infibeam with price 92.6 k which is lowest what i found on the market.

I got my 55' W800A on 5th August. The choice was made in favor of Sony & W800A for the following reasons:

1. Its a Sony

2. I have two kids at home aged 4 & 2, an active 3D set would have meant huge recurring costs in terms of glasses. Already the one I have allotted them has smudges galore.

3. The 3D PQ is breath-taking. I ordered all IMAX 3D Blurays available on amazon.in besides Avatar, Life of PI, Ice Age 4 and Prometheus. I am currently using PS3 for playback, and must say it does an impeccable job. The 3D works fine at even 55 degrees horizontally, but cannot tolerate even 20-25 degrees vertically. (90 degrees = center of the screen)

4. 2D PQ is generally very good, although the 400Hz Motionflow or the lack of another 400Hz compared to W950A can be felt slightly while watching fast sequences.

5. 75K cheaper than W9 was honestly the biggest factor againt the W9. I could not justify that diff given a 4K just another 75K away.

6. Looked at Samsung, but the bitter sweet experiences with Samsung products made me very wary of the brand. (Sorry fanboys, its a great brand, but a taboo as long as its my money)

Overall, very happy with the purchase, the sound quality mentioned is immaterial to me given my HT war-chest.

WOuld I recommend the W800A? Most definately!!!

It cost me 79,900/- I checked with Croma, Reliance Digital & Sony Authorized showroom the cost are same in all these showroom.

I am planning to buy 47" W800 A. My requirement is for next month. Should I wait till the festival - Ganesh Chathurthi or Navarathri festival for some bargain on Sony?

I am aware Sony does not provide such things as bargaining but hoping them to bundle some other producst like BDP.

Hi ,

I am also confused between LG LA6910 and Sony 42W800A.
I am from cochin and in lulu connect I saw sony for 72500.!!!yeah its a discount for Onam.and sony also provides MDR-XB910A headphone(worth 12990) as a freebie.

Apart from the offers from sony, lulu connect gives a gift voucher around 4K.And an idea netsetter free for 6 months.

Now if its LG I am getting it for 76K. Not yet negotiated. seems i can again get for a cheaper price.They have a cashback offer of max of 1000 and some dinner sets. They dont have the HT or idea netsetter offers..

Which one should I go for ? I saw 3D demo in LG and it was superb whiereas sony I was not able to as they had some problems with the 3D discs for Sony.anyway will have it demoed today.
2D is matchless in sony. Its way far from LG ..Sony dominates in 2D.

LG has more features like smart remote,superb 2D-3D conversion also warranty against lightning; high voltages mentioned by the executive...

Which one to go for , sony or LG considering the price ?

Hi ,

Which one should I go for ? I saw 3D demo in LG and it was superb whiereas sony I was not able to as they had some problems with the 3D discs for Sony.anyway will have it demoed today.
2D is matchless in sony. Its way far from LG ..Sony dominates in 2D.

LG has more features like smart remote,superb 2D-3D conversion also warranty against lightning; high voltages mentioned by the executive...

Which one to go for , sony or LG considering the price ?

It is unlikely you will watch too much 3D once the initial fad is over. So go in for the best 2D quality. Similarly with smart remotes and other gimmicks.

It is unlikely you will watch too much 3D once the initial fad is over. So go in for the best 2D quality. Similarly with smart remotes and other gimmicks.

Is this deal for Sony worth ?? 72K for 42W800 .4K gift voucher and 12990 worth headphone and idea netsetter for 6 months ?
I hope I can get it for around 70 or 71K ..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back