SPDIF Transport: Allo Digione or Allo Digione Signature Bundle (seeking opinions)

Have you noticed Volumio boldly declares a track "MP3, 44.1Khz, 24-bit"?
Something ain't right here.
Cheers,
Raghu

Have you noticed Volumio boldly declares a track "MP3, 44.1Khz, 24-bit"?
Something ain't right here.
Cheers,
Raghu
Is 44.1kHz/24-Bit the sample rate/resolution of the stream obtained after decoding? Was it also the rate/resolution of the original source from which the mp3 was encoded?

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

I have a few albums that are indexed by cue files.
The FLAC is the entire album.
It seems looks like Volumio can index these but cannot play tracks individually.
Any tips/tricks for this?

Cheers,
Raghu

I have a few albums that are indexed by cue files.
The FLAC is the entire album.
It seems looks like Volumio can index these but cannot play tracks individually.
Any tips/tricks for this?

Cheers,
Raghu
It is not an underlying feature of the MPD under Volumio. It cannot read the cue playlist and will be interpreted as a single flac file.
You have to output to flac/wav on PC and rewrite to the hard disk and update the library

It is not an underlying feature of the MPD under Volumio. It cannot read the cue playlist and will be interpreted as a single flac file.
You have to output to flac/wav on PC and rewrite to the hard disk and update the library
Yeah. That's what I have to do.
More homework
Cheers,
Raghu

Can Volumio on Digione be configured to index only a partition on an external HDD?
Currently, the HDD used has movies stored on them too (and other stuff like docs, photos).
The OS indexes the audio portion of these movie files, which is a waste.

If selective indexing is possible, I can still use my existing HDD.
Otherwise, may have to get a new one and keep 'em separated.

Cheers,
Raghu

Can Volumio on Digione be configured to index only a partition on an external HDD?
Currently, the HDD used has movies stored on them too (and other stuff like docs, photos).

Cheers,
Raghu
If you access files NAS way, its possible to specify the source path where audio is stored. But USB is different and I really doubt if we can instruct volumio to update the library from a specific source folder.

Cheers,
Raghu
Is

Cheers,
Raghu

It can be done, by remounting specific partitions via SSH.

If the music and movie files are in different folders within the same partition it still can done by mounting specific folders.

Needs linux background to do.

Kannan

I was thinking between the USB version (allo usbridge signature) v/s the coax version (allo digione signature).

My dac does not have usb input. It only has optical and coaxial. So i had a doubt. suppose if i purchase the usbridge signature version, and convert the usb signal to optical/coax using a convertor which i already have i.e. topping d10, then would it reduce the sound quality? OR, it would be better if i purchase digione signature (coax version) and output it directly to the dac. which one would be better sounding?

I was thinking between the USB version (allo usbridge signature) v/s the coax version (allo digione signature).

My dac does not have usb input. It only has optical and coaxial. So i had a doubt. suppose if i purchase the usbridge signature version, and convert the usb signal to optical/coax using a convertor which i already have i.e. topping d10, then would it reduce the sound quality? OR, it would be better if i purchase digione signature (coax version) and output it directly to the dac. which one would be better sounding?
If the DAC has only COAX input (and it is not already occupied by some other source) get the Digione or Digione Sig.
Go for USB version only if DSD is important to you; but then you'll need a new DAC.

Cheers,
Raghu

If the DAC has only COAX input (and it is not already occupied by some other source) get the Digione or Digione Sig.
Go for USB version only if DSD is important to you; but then you'll need a new DAC.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks. there is one more point i observed in my dac. it has 2 inputs, one is optical-toslink and other is coax.
when i play via optical it sounds warm and pleasant.
when i play via coax, it sounds less warm, slightly more detailed. less engaging sometimes compared to optical.

now i am not sure if this is the property of coax, or my dac has different implementations of optical and coax.

so the problem is, digione signature has ONLY COAX and not optical. so my worry is if i use coax then it will sound less warm compared to optical.

Thanks. there is one more point i observed in my dac. it has 2 inputs, one is optical-toslink and other is coax.
when i play via optical it sounds warm and pleasant.
when i play via coax, it sounds less warm, slightly more detailed. less engaging sometimes compared to optical.

now i am not sure if this is the property of coax, or my dac has different implementations of optical and coax.

so the problem is, digione signature has ONLY COAX and not optical. so my worry is if i use coax then it will sound less warm compared to optical.
When you compared the two modes of DAC were they fed from same source.
Like a CD player having both OPT and COAX.
Otherwise, the warm/detailed issue may be elsewhere, not in the DAC.
Usually DACs have a chip for COAX/OPT (SPDIF) and another one for USB.

Cheers,
Raghu

Usbbridgs signature has the option of adding the digione signature board for coax output. There is a review of the usbrodge signature by Hans Beekhausyen on youtube. Worth a watch

When you compared the two modes of DAC were they fed from same source.

Cheers,
Raghu

Yes, it was the same source. it was something like this.
RPI usb output --> Topping D10 ---> optical out to DAC
RPI usb output --> Topping D10 ---> Coax out to DAC

I had done something similar using other convertors (usb to optical/coax), and found same issue that coax is slightly bright.

I had done something similar using other convertors (usb to optical/coax), and found same issue that coax is slightly bright.
Hmmm ...
Dunno buddy. Is it possible that the converter is contributing to this?
Just a guess.

In my rig, Digione (not signature, with stock power supply) is articulate, definitely not bright

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:

Hi Amit,

I understand that you have two DACs in your chain Topping S10 and Mini Muse where the former is a USB-SPDIF convertor and later does SPDIF to Analog RCA conversion? Is there a reason why you need to convert USB to SPDIF coax or optical and then again to Analog signal? Can't you directly connect RCA output from Topping D10 to your Yamaha Amp?

Thanks,
Shyam.

Hi Amit,

I understand that you have two DACs in your chain Topping S10 and Mini Muse where the former is a USB-SPDIF convertor and later does SPDIF to Analog RCA conversion? Is there a reason why you need to convert USB to SPDIF coax or optical and then again to Analog signal? Can't you directly connect RCA output from Topping D10 to your Yamaha Amp?

Thanks,
Shyam.
Hi Shyam,

Yes i can connect the topping d10 directly to amp aswell. but i purchased it recently mainly for conversion. my original dac is still the non-oversampling muse mini as it sounds very good since it has the philips chip tda1543.

the rpi was introduced in the chain few months back for airplay reasons. i was initially using the headphone out, then i had got i2s hifiberry dac in the expectation that it will improve the sound. however that did not happen. then i realized i can get sound from usb out aswell. i then attached some other pcm2704 based usb to spdif convertor but it did not sound good. then i read about topping d10 and purchased it. and now recently i came to know in detail about allo digione and usbridge which look promising.

one more thing for coax. i do not have a proper coax cable of 75 ohms. i am using rca cable for coax purpose. the rca may or may not be 75ohms exactly. i tried normal rca cable and mogami 2803 also. in both cases the coax was sounding less warm compared to optical.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back