SPDIF Transport: Allo Digione or Allo Digione Signature Bundle (seeking opinions)

fyi: there was a comparison of rpi3b and rpi4b by Hans Beekhauysen on youtube and rpi3b sounded better in digione signature. I dont have any personal experience though

Update:
Placed order for Allo Digione Player (non signature version) from reseller Waretohouse.
- RPI3b+ based
- 16GB SD card with Volumio
- stock PS
- black acrylic case

Should be able to pick it up in a couple of days.
If I get it on Saturday, I have some playtime ahead of me this weekend :)

Cheers,
Raghu

Update:
Picked up the player today from the reseller.

After coming home and opening the box, saw that there was a gotcha!!
I had ordered a unit with RPI3b+ thinking that the regular HDMI will be useful for monitor connect.
Got a unit with 2 micro HDMI ports. It turns out that RPI4B has been shipped with the Digione HAT.
A bit of digging around the documentation cleared up the doubt. The monitor connect is required for IP address.
So plugged in LAN cable, Coax cable and powered it on.
The router app displayed the IP address. Typed in the IP address in laptop browser, and voila I'm in.
Connected my HDD, took about 5 mins to index (lots of movies, music, photos, and doc backups there.

Installed Spotify plugin, logged in and played a few tunes.
Very enjoyable. Definitely different presentation compared to CCA.
Was able to compare a few tracks on:
- Spotify --> CCA --> DAC (opt)
- Spotify (on Digione/Volumio) --> DAC (coax)

Digione sounded a bit more fuller in bass and vocals, definitely better control on the highs.
This was on the Parasound + MA pups + REL chain (see signature)
Yet to try it out with big speakers (KEFs)

Spotify app on Android phone allows to connect the player.
For now the streaming works from Laptop browser controlled instance or Spotify connect.
Happy to have found a solution for my requirements.

Allo-1-sm.jpg Allo-2-sm.jpg

More later ...

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Listening impressions of Allo Digione on the chain below:
Allo Digione (Spotify/Volumio) -->
CCA (Spotify/Casting) -->
Parasound NC200PRE (DAC, coax or opt) --> Lyrita DHT (Tube Preamp) --> AKSA55 (power amp) --> KEF R300 + REL T9i (high level connect)
No room correction or treatment; speakers and sub tuned by placement/ear.

Threw in a variety of English/Western tracks (condensed comparison summary below):
Hotel California (Eagles - Hell Freezes Over version)
- good control over bass and decent instrument separation/layering; (CCA seems a bit louder and sometimes a bit edgey on HF)
Nobody Home (Pink Floyd)
- piano/keyboards sounds very good; CCA sometimes makes some piano notes sound a bit louder, wonder why
Summer & Rain (Joe Hisaishi - Album Kikujiro)
- piano and violin tracks; violins sound good; CCA and Digione kinda same on these tracks, except for the occasional louder piano notes
Kelpie & King Henry's Madrigal (Jethro Tull - Album Stormwatch, SW Remaster)
- western flute and drums; here the Digione really shines, CCA loses often the plot on the drum pace and flute nuances
I'm Your Man (Leonard Cohen)
- male vocals, piano; Digione is definitely more laid back and fuller than CCA
Hallelujah (Rufus Wainwright)
- male vocals, piano; again Digione does a better job of presenting that raspiness in vocals
I'm Feeling Good (Nina Simone)
- female vocals, big band; Digione is definitely better than CCA; CCA sounds a bit edgey
Hit The Road Jack (Ray Charles)
- left/right interplay track; chorus girls on the right, Ray & piano on the left; Digione fares better in artist/instrument placement
Old Love (Eric Clapton - MTV Unplugged version)
- nice acoustic arrangement; Digione sounds a bit more natural compared to CCA
1000 People, Hole In Me (Blackfield)
- keyboards, tempo changes, dynamics; Digione manages it well; CCA doesn't do well in many segments
Buying New Soul (Porcupine Tree)
- complex music with shifts in tempo and scale; decent rendition by Digione

The following tracks are kinda difficult to listen if things don't come together; I call them general purpose "enjoyable" noise
Fear Of The Dark (Iron Maiden)
- drum pace on this track is not easily handled by many rigs; decent presentation, CCA does poorly
Fuel (Metallica)
- fast paced number; Digione handles it well
Dragula (Rob Zombie)
- hell yeah!! Can actually listen to it; CCA renders is just too loud to enjoy it
Twisted Transistor
- Nope; still can't listen to it without some EQ/Tone; sorry Digione

In general, I noticed that the height of the sound stage has increased a bit
With CCA, the sound seems emanating from 20"-30" inches from floor
With Digione, the sound seems to be from 30"-40" inches from floor and better depth
Although I think the depth is squarely AKSA's magic.
And of course, Lyrita DHT is not your usual tube amp; it is very lively. Brings in a decent tube 3d/holographic image.

In summary, Digione does better than CCA in most situations.
I am using the stock PS (wall wart) for Digione. It is clean enough for my use/rig.

Having said this, I still think CCA is the absolute VFM toy, will still be used for Amazon Music, Gaana, etc
For its price, form factor, ease-of-use, the CCA's SQ is to be admired.

If anyone is exploring an upgrade or simply different sound as compared to your existing streamer/transport, give Digione a try.
If/when I observe anything new about Digione, will update this thread (maybe when I play FLACs out of HDD).

Cheers,
Raghu

A note of thanks to the following members for their opinions, reviews and pointers.
@Kannan, @surfatwork, @Weathered, @Anshul_J, @venkatcr, @premoddev, @sandeepsasi, @manniraj, @robin3989, @shyamv, @MaSh, @anirudhchandrashekar

Your answers and quick responses enabled me to zero in on this solution quickly.
Most of you have provided answers on this thread, but a couple provided feedback directly.

Cheers,
Raghu

@raghupb also try CCA with its analogue out
I have although a long time ago.
At the time, opt sounded better.
May have been the cable too

On a side note:

I usually do not talk about cables and interconnects on the forum
But as a part of cleanup, rewire project (long pending) I had ordered 2 RCA-to-RCA cables from Allo
One meter length, cost about Rs. 350/- per pair
Pretty good build quality and makes firm contact; actually kinda locks in.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening impressions of Allo Digione on the chain below:
Allo Digione (Spotify/Volumio) -->
CCA (Spotify/Casting) -->
Parasound NC200PRE (DAC, coax or opt) --> Lyrita DHT (Tube Preamp) --> AKSA55 (power amp) --> KEF R300 + REL T9i (high level connect)
No room correction or treatment; speakers and sub tuned by placement/ear.

Threw in a variety of English/Western tracks (condensed comparison summary below):
Hotel California (Eagles - Hell Freezes Over version)
- good control over bass and decent instrument separation/layering; (CCA seems a bit louder and sometimes a bit edgey on HF)
Nobody Home (Pink Floyd)
- piano/keyboards sounds very good; CCA sometimes makes some piano notes sound a bit louder, wonder why
Summer & Rain (Joe Hisaishi - Album Kikujiro)
- piano and violin tracks; violins sound good; CCA and Digione kinda same on these tracks, except for the occasional louder piano notes
Kelpie & King Henry's Madrigal (Jethro Tull - Album Stormwatch, SW Remaster)
- western flute and drums; here the Digione really shines, CCA loses often the plot on the drum pace and flute nuances
I'm Your Man (Leonard Cohen)
- male vocals, piano; Digione is definitely more laid back and fuller than CCA
Hallelujah (Rufus Wainwright)
- male vocals, piano; again Digione does a better job of presenting that raspiness in vocals
I'm Feeling Good (Nina Simone)
- female vocals, big band; Digione is definitely better than CCA; CCA sounds a bit edgey
Hit The Road Jack (Ray Charles)
- left/right interplay track; chorus girls on the right, Ray & piano on the left; Digione fares better in artist/instrument placement
Old Love (Eric Clapton - MTV Unplugged version)
- nice acoustic arrangement; Digione sounds a bit more natural compared to CCA
1000 People, Hole In Me (Blackfield)
- keyboards, tempo changes, dynamics; Digione manages it well; CCA doesn't do well in many segments
Buying New Soul (Porcupine Tree)
- complex music with shifts in tempo and scale; decent rendition by Digione

The following tracks are kinda difficult to listen if things don't come together; I call them general purpose "enjoyable" noise
Fear Of The Dark (Iron Maiden)
- drum pace on this track is not easily handled by many rigs; decent presentation, CCA does poorly
Fuel (Metallica)
- fast paced number; Digione handles it well
Dragula (Rob Zombie)
- hell yeah!! Can actually listen to it; CCA renders is just too loud to enjoy it
Twisted Transistor
- Nope; still can't listen to it without some EQ/Tone; sorry Digione

In general, I noticed that the height of the sound stage has increased a bit
With CCA, the sound seems emanating from 20"-30" inches from floor
With Digione, the sound seems to be from 30"-40" inches from floor and better depth
Although I think the depth is squarely AKSA's magic.
And of course, Lyrita DHT is not your usual tube amp; it is very lively. Brings in a decent tube 3d/holographic image.

In summary, Digione does better than CCA in most situations.
I am using the stock PS (wall wart) for Digione. It is clean enough for my use/rig.

Having said this, I still think CCA is the absolute VFM toy, will still be used for Amazon Music, Gaana, etc
For its price, form factor, ease-of-use, the CCA's SQ is to be admired.

If anyone is exploring an upgrade or simply different sound as compared to your existing streamer/transport, give Digione a try.
If/when I observe anything new about Digione, will update this thread (maybe when I play FLACs out of HDD).

Cheers,
Raghu

That's a good summary. Glad that you like Digione. Happy listening!

Have a question for Digione users. I played FLACs for an extended time last evening.
One thing I noticed was for a couple of secs at the start of every song the attack/impact is high.
Then it settles into a groove.
This startled me a couple of times specially with tracks which open with a guitar lick :)
This was not noticeable on Spotify streaming.

Cheers,
Raghu

Have a question for Digione users. I played FLACs for an extended time last evening.
One thing I noticed was for a couple of secs at the start of every song the attack/impact is high.
Then it settles into a groove.
This startled me a couple of times specially with tracks which open with a guitar lick :)
This was not noticeable on Spotify streaming.

Cheers,
Raghu
is it when you add a list of songs and let the mpd play it one after the other or even when you select and play the songs individually?
You are using Volumio or some other distro

I'm using Volumio.
It is more pronounced when playing one song individually.
When I play an entire album for example, the start of each song seems to have a burst of energy.
Just for 1 or 2 seconds only.

Nearest example would be like, when tap on a hose pipe is opened :)
Cheers,
Raghu

where is the master volume control residing, if using an integrated amp or a pre, have you disabled volume control in Volumio?
Could also be a locking issue with your DAC if you have enabled upsampling, of course I don't know your chain beyond digione

Last edited:
Volume is in preamp. SW volume is disabled.
I don't think the Parasound DAC has upsampling, not that I know off.

Digione (coax) --> Parasound 200Pre --> Parasound 275v2 Pwr --> (speakers)

Anyways, will study this behavior and try to correlate more
Thanks for the help and possible explanation @Kannan
Cheers,
Raghu

Cheers,
Raghu

I haven't seen this before. Make sure that Audio Resampling in Volumio is turned off. Or maybe try increasing the Audio buffer size?

I'm using Volumio.
It is more pronounced when playing one song individually.
When I play an entire album for example, the start of each song seems to have a burst of energy.
Just for 1 or 2 seconds only.

Nearest example would be like, when tap on a hose pipe is opened :)
Cheers,
Raghu
I haven't faced this loudness issue. But when songs are played individually, its possible the first 1 or 2 seconds getting missed/skipped. This doesn't occur if volumio plays a list.

Cheers,
Raghu

Also how do you find the synergy of Digione with Parasound pre and power amps?

Also how do you find the synergy of Digione with Parasound pre and power amps?
Well ...
I really don't what to look for here.
In my rig it is a component that provides streaming/player simplicity.
There is no downside, as far as SQ is concerned.
Don't hear any "gremlins" due to stock PS either; maybe my ears are not sharp enough.

Cheers,
Raghu

Well ...
I really don't what to look for here.
In my rig it is a component that provides streaming/player simplicity.
There is no downside, as far as SQ is concerned.
Don't hear any "gremlins" due to stock PS either; maybe my ears are not sharp enough.

Cheers,
Raghu

I tested Allo Digione/Signature with 4 integrated amps with DACs - Audiolab 6000A, Cambridge Audio CXA81, Cambridge Audio CXA61 and NAD D7050. Of all the amps, I found the match with Audiolab 6000A to be true to character of the amp ie balanced and neutral. With other amps, the clean signal from Digione was tilting up inherent characteristics of the amp - dry midrange with NAD D7050, brightness/shrillness of Cambridge Amps. Again this is my own perception with a small testing sample.

This leads me to believe that the master clock on Digione in some ways influences the timing and sound presentation on the inbuilt DAC. I don't know enough about how the clock signal is sent over digital Coaxial to be able to comment further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back