speaker placing for HT

jacz

Friends I would like to know how we can do proper acquoistics callibration. I mean to say speaker placements for quality sound. What will be the best method. Is it

1. Using Setup mic supplied with the reciever
2. Using analouge or digital meters available in market
3. Using software to do Computer Aided Room Acoustic (CARA) design

If its CARA which software to use and how to use. It will be great if some one can throw more light on this topic.

1. Any one can do. Doesn't require to be a nerd or a geek.

2. A lot more precise. In fact I'd say this can be the most precise method, if equipments being used are high precision.

3. Seems this should be the most precise method. But I am not sure how precise it really is.

All of this can guide you.2nd method can guide you a lot.But rooms are very complicated then we think.The reflections from walls can cause lot of harm but the size of the room will limit you from doing recommened settings.(I think the path of staight and reflected waves should have difference of 1.7 mts for our brain to ignore the reflection)So get guidance using 2 or 3 and adjust speakers to suit your ears.

Trust your ears ...........

Speaker placement is just one area to look into!

I mean to say speaker placements for quality sound. What will be the best method. Is it

It's ok if you are looking for settting up your speakers correctly. [level, distance, delay]
1. Using Setup mic supplied with the reciever

Radioshack SPL meter is highly recommended for full range calibration [with correction values loaded]. Room Equalisation Wizard software is an opensource software to download, gives you brilliant results. Also it can talk to correction devices via midi interface.

2. Using analouge or digital meters available in market
3. Using software to do Computer Aided Room Acoustic (CARA) design

If its CARA which software to use and how to use. It will be great if some one can throw more light on this topic.

Last edited:
Six Rules of Loudspeaker Placement - Posted by user Jagat. Read the original article with diagrams using the link (though Jagat has copy-pasted a summary of it). I found this article useful. Its quite authoritative re subject but practical too.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back