Speaker suggestion's for 12' x 13' bedroom.

biyer

Hi everyone,
This is my first post.Basically I am planning to set up a Stereo setup for my bedroom.I am looking for bookshelf speakers option around 15k. I have looked at the following options.
1. Wharfedale diamond 9.1 ilked them but felt bass was inadequate .The room was huge almost four times the size of my bedroom.
2. Wharfedale diamond 9.2(yet to audition them)
3. PSB B25(Very much out of budget but may consider it if i dont find any other option satisfactory b.t.w I loved their sound)
4. Pulz Audio status 203 (yet to audition would like any inputs)
5. Tannoy mercury custon F1 and F2 (now rejected as the dealer was very rude ,helpless and hopeless person (SNV Pune) )

My basic question is would diamond 9.1 be suffice for my room size??
Would their bass output be sufficient.I am looking for slam of the drums.

I mostly listen to Classic/Hard/punk/ progressive rock and at times Hindi filmy numbers. The sound can vary from Creedence Clearwater Revival to Cradle of Filth.(classic to black metal)

I am planning to pair the speakers with eiether Pulz Audio RS180DC or Norge 2060 or Norge 4242.

Thanks in Advance.

For your listening choices and bookshelf speakers, you need to get a subwoofer for the LFE. I would suggest a 8 or 10inch for LFE.

Otherwise the sound may sound tinny esp when higher frequencies are played via the bookshelves.

Not knowing your budget for this, some options are

Polk
Klipsch
Energy

For speaker choices, do a search on the forum. Currently there is another thread where the person is looking for exactly the same configuration as you. (bookshelves w/ 15K budget)

Audition some of these with your favourite music sources and get a feel for what you want.

Hi everyone,
This is my first post.Basically I am planning to set up a Stereo setup for my bedroom.I am looking for bookshelf speakers option around 15k. I have looked at the following options.
1. Wharfedale diamond 9.1 ilked them but felt bass was inadequate .The room was huge almost four times the size of my bedroom.
2. Wharfedale diamond 9.2(yet to audition them)
3. PSB B25(Very much out of budget but may consider it if i dont find any other option satisfactory b.t.w I loved their sound)
4. Pulz Audio status 203 (yet to audition would like any inputs)
5. Tannoy mercury custon F1 and F2 (now rejected as the dealer was very rude ,helpless and hopeless person (SNV Pune) )

I mostly listen to Classic/Hard/punk/ progressive rock and at times Hindi filmy numbers. The sound can vary from Creedence Clearwater Revival to Cradle of Filth.(classic to black metal)

I am planning to pair the speakers with eiether Pulz Audio RS180DC or Norge 2060 or Norge 4242.

Thanks in Advance.

Budget bookshelves

Tannoy mercury custom F1(14.5k)

Tannoy Fusion 2 bookshelf-(11k)

warfedale 9.1 (11k)-

Wharfedale 9.2 or (MRP 16k-10% disc)

Monitor audio br2(17-18.5k)

PSB's Alpha B1s, (15k)

Mordount Short Avant 902i(10-11k)

Quad 11L

other speakers that would fit in your budget are maybe floorstanders from norge or sonodyne

If you dont want sub ,then go for bigger than BS.

Diamond 9.2 is best for you.I hrd them with Yam & music was very clean & sweat with tight,deep Bass.

Second opt is MA-br2 as suggested earlier.

Budget bookshelves

Tannoy mercury custom F1(14.5k)

Tannoy Fusion 2 bookshelf-(11k)

warfedale 9.1 (11k)-

Wharfedale 9.2 or (MRP 16k-10% disc)

Monitor audio br2(17-18.5k)

PSB's Alpha B1s, (15k)

Mordount Short Avant 902i(10-11k)

Quad 11L

other speakers that would fit in your budget are maybe floorstanders from norge or sonodyne

Do you happen to know the price of Quad 11L? I heard them right after Diamond 9.1 and they sounded so good! Their lacquer finish also has a lot of WAF. However, If I remember correcty, they're quite expensive (28k?).

I had also spoken to Norge recently inquiring about their floorstanders. It seems that they're currently redesigning the speakers as they're changing the drivers from Vifa to WaveCor, and should be ready approx. by mid-Feb.

Any other decent floorstanders available in the same range or a tad higher, apart from Norge and Sonodyne?

Last edited:
Do you happen to know the price of Quad 11L? I heard them right after Diamond 9.1 and they sounded so good! Their lacquer finish also has a lot of WAF. However, If I remember correcty, they're quite expensive (28k?).

I had also spoken to Norge recently inquiring about their floorstanders. It seems that they're currently redesigning the speakers as they're changing the drivers from Vifa to WaveCor, and should be ready approx. by mid-Feb.

Any other decent floorstanders available in the same range or a tad higher, apart from Norge and Sonodyne?

nope i dont know the price
im hoping someone will post it too

good floorstanders for under 20k.. hmm well im looking for these too.
unfortunately i have found none other than the products mentioned

well maybe you can also try mission 33i and 34i they are both under 18k and are floorstanders

maybe you should look the pre owned route

Last edited:
imo with a room size of 12 x 13, a sub is an overkill. just a pair of good bookshelves would do nicely. it may not give you low down bass but if you put in floor standers or a sub it'll boom your room away. try out the ma br2 or the kef iq series if budget permits over the wharfedales

Hi everyone,

Thanks in Advance.

Hi :),
For your requirement my suggestion would be the Polk Audio's latest line up the TSi-200. Its a 2 way 3 speaker system. So it would be at home even in a much bigger room.I recently listened this speaker thru a denon stereo integrated & it sounded very sweet for the price.The previous monitor series had an edgy treble response but this sounded very airy and smooth.
The song I remember played was Adema-Planets.I was kinda hooked to the sound.The price quoted in the profx website is 15K , but you can negotiate for much less.Do Audition it. I hope you'll like it.;)

Best Regards,
Samuel:cool:

I guess you should try out the PSB B25 bookshelf. I heard them at AV excellence at akshay complex near D.P road..Priced around 26k .

If you dont want sub ,then go for bigger than BS.

Diamond 9.2 is best for you.I hrd them with Yam & music was very clean & sweat with tight,deep Bass.

Second opt is MA-br2 as suggested earlier.

I am kind of anti sub. I was thinking of the same option but the dealer ran out of stocks(diamond 9.2) before i could audition.This has made me reconsider the 9.1 being offered to be at a decent price.Also since my room is small I am worried about bass boom(one of the main reasons i dislike subs).
Will 9.2 be an overkill?

I have not been able to locate the dealer for MA-br2 in pune. How do they compare to the diamond 9.2's?

Hi :),
For your requirement my suggestion would be the Polk Audio's latest line up the TSi-200. Its a 2 way 3 speaker system. So it would be at home even in a much bigger room.I recently listened this speaker thru a denon stereo integrated & it sounded very sweet for the price.The previous monitor series had an edgy treble response but this sounded very airy and smooth.
The song I remember played was Adema-Planets.I was kinda hooked to the sound.The price quoted in the profx website is 15K , but you can negotiate for much less.Do Audition it. I hope you'll like it.;)

Best Regards,
Samuel:cool:

Since they are rear ported and I will mostly be placing my speakers close to the wall on wall brackets I gues that would make them too boomy in my room.

I am kind of anti sub. I was thinking of the same option but the dealer ran out of stocks(diamond 9.2) before i could audition.This has made me reconsider the 9.1 being offered to be at a decent price.Also since my room is small I am worried about bass boom(one of the main reasons i dislike subs).
Will 9.2 be an overkill?

I have not been able to locate the dealer for MA-br2 in pune. How do they compare to the diamond 9.2's?

As you r in Pune & come to Mumbai offen,you can get range of wharf here.
I hrd 9.2 at sound out,Heerapanna shopping centre,next to Mahalaxmi temple.
Distributor also is close to that-AC market,Mumbai central.

9.2 dont cause boom.I hrd them in 10*8 room.They r perfect for you.
cost 15k?

try this- Justdial: Audio Speaker Monitor Audio in Pune

Last edited:
Since they are rear ported and I will mostly be placing my speakers close to the wall on wall brackets I gues that would make them too boomy in my room.

I have a room of same dimension, and What I strongly feel is that for good music (All frequencies) one must have a pair of Floor standers and not bookself as front speakers whether it is wharfedale or any other reputed name.
Then Subwoofer is not required .
Abhilash

Will 9.2 be an overkill?

I believe you may be on the right track, biyer. Even though a sub is a very tempting addition to bookshelf speakers, in the long term it does not make too much sense for music. More and more nowadays I prefer listening to music with the subwoofer switched off.

If music is your priority the money is better spent at looking for a full range speaker - a floorstander, if you will. However if there are movies to be considered, floorstanders do not match the subwoofer in terms of the weight and effect of low frequency. So, its a delicate balance and an important decision for your HT. Good luck.

If you do like the Wharfedale family sound, you could extend yourself ever so slightly and get the Diamond 9.5 which is a pretty good speaker and a floorstander too.

I believe you may be on the right track, biyer. Even though a sub is a very tempting addition to bookshelf speakers, in the long term it does not make too much sense for music. More and more nowadays I prefer listening to music with the subwoofer switched off.

If music is your priority the money is better spent at looking for a full range speaker - a floorstander, if you will. However if there are movies to be considered, floorstanders do not match the subwoofer in terms of the weight and effect of low frequency. So, its a delicate balance and an important decision for your HT. Good luck.

If you do like the Wharfedale family sound, you could extend yourself ever so slightly and get the Diamond 9.5 which is a pretty good speaker and a floorstander too.

I would have loved to get FLoorstanders but my room dosent permit it.No space and plus my MOM wont allow me.I was thinking some bookshelf with large woofer size I guess 6.5" should be suffice.But budget is another constraint. Need to find the right balance.This system will be exclusively used only for Music. Movies I prefer watching them at theaters.(tough I do have a huge collection of movies).

I would have loved to get FLoorstanders but my room dosent permit it.No space and plus my MOM wont allow me.I was thinking some bookshelf with large woofer size I guess 6.5" should be suffice.But budget is another constraint. Need to find the right balance.This system will be exclusively used only for Music. Movies I prefer watching them at theaters.(tough I do have a huge collection of movies).

How big is your room? If it is for music, then I would strongly suggest going for floorstanders. If not, then something like the PSB Image B25 would be very nice. The amount of bass I have heard from that speaker is astounding. If there was a blind test conducted I would have sworn I was hearing to a floorstander - one that imaged like a laser beam and was faster at following the music than a jackrabbit:)

How big is your room? If it is for music, then I would strongly suggest going for floorstanders. If not, then something like the PSB Image B25 would be very nice. The amount of bass I have heard from that speaker is astounding. If there was a blind test conducted I would have sworn I was hearing to a floorstander - one that imaged like a laser beam and was faster at following the music than a jackrabbit:)

My room size is "12 feet x 13 feet". Yep I did check out the PSB B25 and I really liked their sound but they are very much out of my budget(15k). How do diamond 9.2 compare to them?

My room size is "12 feet x 13 feet". Yep I did check out the PSB B25 and I really liked their sound but they are very much out of my budget(15k). How do diamond 9.2 compare to them?

No comparison, really. The Diamond bookshelves can only compare with the Alpha B1. The 9.2 may have a tad more bass extension but certainly not much. The Image B25 is a fine speaker.

A lot of us get caught with buying floorstanders thinking it will be better for music but that is not necessarily true.

I own floorstanders myself, however on hindsight here are my observations/thoughts.

A well tuned, positioned bookshelf speaker set will sound very impressive even for music. Addition of even a small sub (8inch) will enhance it that much more.

Also it is easier to tune/position bookshelves than floorstanders.

I don't have a sub in my music system setup and have one for HT (mainly movies) even w/ floors as I want to feel the bass to go really low.

Bottom line is don't get caught up in the "having floorstanders is better for music" line of thought.

1. Start with a budget
2. Look for options
3. Audition with your sources to get a feel for music (remember your home, setup and other components are very different so don't fall for the hype nor the salesman talk)
4 Pick a set you like
5. Enjoy your music.

repeat 2 & 3 as much as you like.

Last edited:
To add to marsilians' post it is all a matter of cash at disposal really. If you are looking at options below 40000 that would do music really well then you are probably looking at a bookshelf. But then if you factor in the cost of a bookshelf plus a quality sub you will find that a floorstander would have made more sense to start with.

This is more true for music. Lets talk numbers for a second. The 9.2 would be around 15000. A tuneful subwoofer with good slam and weight as also a bit of nimbleness to it would set you back by about 30000 - especially if you are looking for musicality and integration as important qualities. Now that brings your speaker expenses to 45000 and still over a period of time you might start feeling that the sub actually sticks out when you are into long term music listening sessions - especially if not the head banging type. Now you may be stuck with using pure direct for music with the bookshelves which lacked bass in the first place.

I am actually speaking about myself there:) So, this is out of experience. What I will agree with Marsilians is in this - A PSB Alpha B1 or an EPOS ELS 3 is any day better than - no, far better than - a Mission M33i. Arguably these can even do better than an entry level floorstander like Diamond 9.5 in all but the bass (also the sheer volume). So, it is case of choosing what is more important. How much is the midrange important for your kind of music? Can you do without bass rather than without preciseness, detail and/or imaging in your music? Its a personal question and not surprisingly it always has a personal answer. Hope this helps.

Marsilians actually helped by clarifying that it is not that a floorstander is better than bookshelves - as a rule. I agree. Everything depends on the budget but more importantly on your own taste and preferences.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back