Speakers under 20k!

adithya

My first post here. I am happy to find a forum dedicated to quality audio/video for Indians.
I have Creative T6060 connected to ALC888 onboard of 740G mobo. I am planning to buy Creative X-FI Titanium card. T6060 has served me very well for gaming and music. Movies with 2 ch weren't good because they would output through front left and front right which are quite underpowered. Upmixing would either force all sounds through subwoofer or none at all. I want speakers which can handle 2 ch without upmixing.
My main requirements are positional audio in gaming and clarity in movies and music with right amount of bass. Volume is not a problem. I never crossed half the max volume for t6060.
I have been recommended :
Logitech z5500 @ 18k
Onkyo S3100 @ 18k
Creative Gigaworks -I don't know

Power saving features would be welcome. If no sound is being played, if the speakers shut off its better or if the power consumption scales with volume. MY t6060 used 35w avg at my vol level.
Please help me choose.

For ur budget i would recommend the onkyo hts3100,which will give u decent performance for the money and its priced at 19500,i guess.
The z500 are more of a computer speakers,which are not really a match to the onkyo.It is priced at 14500 i believe.
Giga works might be a good choice.
Of all the above,you can blindly choose the onkyo,with out any trouble.
One minor disadvantage is that the package comes with a passive subwoofer as the receiver does not have a sub out and it powers the sub directly.
If you can live this,this system will be good,
I'm having a pretty good time in my week ends with the same system

Have Fun
Vj

vj_box
thank you for quick reply.
Have you heard logitech z 5500 or creative gigaworks? I only got the demo of onkyo s3100 in two places - reliance digital and e-zone. I found it lacking clarity , maybe because of the volume or low quality source.
I am planning to connect the speakers i buy to computer. I don't have tv or cable/dth connection. My main activity is gaming. Would you still recommend onkyo?
btw the costs-
z5500 - 18k (14.5k offer ended long back. Those models were defective)
s3100 - 18k ( festival offer)
creative gigaworks - 22k.

vj_box
thank you for quick reply.
Have you heard logitech z 5500 or creative gigaworks? I only got the demo of onkyo s3100 in two places - reliance digital and e-zone. I found it lacking clarity , maybe because of the volume or low quality source.
I am planning to connect the speakers i buy to computer. I don't have tv or cable/dth connection. My main activity is gaming. Would you still recommend onkyo?
btw the costs-
z5500 - 18k (14.5k offer ended long back. Those models were defective)
s3100 - 18k ( festival offer)
creative gigaworks - 22k.

Buddy

Welcome to the forum...!!!
Have a nice stay here...!!!

Bro...Onkyo sucks for its value...

Are you seriously & only looking for 5.1...???

Try 2.1 Channel, Klipsch...
They are damn good @ base....
Really nice sound...

Will get the exact model no. & price to u shortly...

And in case you are looking @ 5.1, then try...

Hercules - XPS 5.1 70

Hi Aditya,

If it is gaming + movies + music thru computer, this is the worng forum though members possess all products and help a lot. Here discussions are totally in/for a different league/plane/sector etc whatever you might call. Try these forums:

Indian Technology and Computer Discussion Portal - TechEnclave - lots of deals and discussions:)
Top Technology Magazine | Computer Magazines | Popular Monthly Magazine ? Think Digit
Chip - India's Most Trusted Guide To Gadgets And Technology

Let me suggest something because I own a Logitech z 5500.

First, the card is needed for audiophile fidelity. Creative is very good but ASUS cards have letely invaded their hold, even beating them out.

Get a ASUS XONAR DX2/DX/HDAV. These cost from 9K to 12K.

Logitech z 5500 - 15k to 18k. Tops for games, very good for movies and shit for music. I depends again on s/w u use and tweaks u make to positioning etc..

Onkyo 3100 - I've heard in e-zone, pretty good for all but if you upgrade toa full fledged home theatre iin due time, which I presume u will/shall, this might not be a good investment.

Creative gigaworks s750. Tps ina ll but does not accept digital but 7.1 and very dependant on a sound card's output, so will abe agreat value. You shuld get one in under 28K after a lot haggling but in anu case below 30K.

Hope this helps.

PS: TBut in any case do not compoare sound from the above ones to a separetes setup - be it any use - games,music,movies. You pay more and sound keeps getting better.

Check the above forums and listen to different components suggestions here and give a listen. U might change ur wants to a higher plane.:eek: I am ahappy victim too.:D

Buddy
Bro...Onkyo sucks for its value...
Are you seriously & only looking for 5.1...???
And in case you are looking @ 5.1, then try...
Hercules - XPS 5.1 70

thank you for your advice.
I need 5.1 because I rely on positional audio for gaming. Virtual 5.1 through stereo is nothing compared to true 5.1 surround sound.
I checked the link you have provided for hercules 5.1. Can you please tell me who is the distributer in India and whats its cost here. Please tell me why you think onkyo is bad value. Is it because there are better 5.1s under 20k?

Hi Aditya,

If it is gaming + movies + music thru computer, this is the worng forum though members possess all products and help a lot. Here discussions are totally in/for a different league/plane/sector etc whatever you might call. Try these forums:

Indian Technology and Computer Discussion Portal - TechEnclave - lots of deals and discussions:)
Top Technology Magazine | Computer Magazines | Popular Monthly Magazine ? Think Digit
Chip - India's Most Trusted Guide To Gadgets And Technology

Let me suggest something because I own a Logitech z 5500.

First, the card is needed for audiophile fidelity. Creative is very good but ASUS cards have letely invaded their hold, even beating them out.

Get a ASUS XONAR DX2/DX/HDAV. These cost from 9K to 12K.

Logitech z 5500 - 15k to 18k. Tops for games, very good for movies and shit for music. I depends again on s/w u use and tweaks u make to positioning etc..

Onkyo 3100 - I've heard in e-zone, pretty good for all but if you upgrade toa full fledged home theatre iin due time, which I presume u will/shall, this might not be a good investment.

Creative gigaworks s750. Tps ina ll but does not accept digital but 7.1 and very dependant on a sound card's output, so will abe agreat value. You shuld get one in under 28K after a lot haggling but in anu case below 30K.

Hope this helps.

PS: TBut in any case do not compoare sound from the above ones to a separetes setup - be it any use - games,music,movies. You pay more and sound keeps getting better.

Check the above forums and listen to different components suggestions here and give a listen. U might change ur wants to a higher plane.:eek: I am ahappy victim too.:D

Thank you for you advice.
The reason I have posted in this forum is because people here might looking for clarity and must have come across various sound setups , htib,computer speakers etc. In tech forums, most of the members haven't gone beyond altec lansing, logitech and creative. I want to consider all kinds of speakers that can take input from computer. I have read in many sites that in the same price range htib beats computer speaker sets. I have already posted a thread in Think Digit before posting here but got no reply. I think I am in the right forum for this kind of info.

I have already bought a xonar and got it returned. According to the distributer, I am the first to buy and also the first to return for refund. Its totally unusable and unreliable. I may post review soon in thinkdigit.

Can you please tell me why you think z-5500 is sh1t for music.
I am not planning to upgrade to a full home theatre. I am not a movie buff. I am a PC gamer and a metalhead. I rarely watch movies.
Creative 750 is out of my budget and is a 7.1. I am looking for 5.1 at 20k. G500 is 22k. Whats your opinion on g500 and is it worth the 4k more than z-5500.

thank you for your advice.
I need 5.1 because I rely on positional audio for gaming. Virtual 5.1 through stereo is nothing compared to true 5.1 surround sound.
I checked the link you have provided for hercules 5.1. Can you please tell me who is the distributer in India and whats its cost here. Please tell me why you think onkyo is bad value. Is it because there are better 5.1s under 20k?

Bro

The Hercules model is available for Rs.11,000 approx...

It will be available in few stores from mid November...

Now, the reason behind excluding Onkyo, is as you said in your post above, people in this forum look out more for clarity, and quality...
So that explains your question well...
And when you are talking about excluding Onkyo for Price, than let me tell you there are a few more products, like JBL-HT Package for Rs.25K(MRP) and all, so there is nothing like that...

all that matters is the performance...

Aditya,
Guess you are a gaming freak like me:).
For a nice surround sound in games,you basically need a computer rig which also has a nice sound card,or a very good mother board,which has one onboard.
i assume u either have one.
the z5500 will do good for games,as i have experienced with some latest games(including crysis)in my friends home.It gives u a lot of base and they are thx certified also.At that price range,u cannot expect more out of a 5.1 system.
If u purely need a stereo setup then u can consider options like klipsch which offers u excellent 2.1 computer speaker,guess the range starts from 10.5 k.
Try auditioning different systems and then personally conclude.

Have Fun
Vj

Aditya,
Guess you are a gaming freak like me:).
For a nice surround sound in games,you basically need a computer rig which also has a nice sound card,or a very good mother board,which has one onboard.
i assume u either have one.
the z5500 will do good for games,as i have experienced with some latest games(including crysis)in my friends home.It gives u a lot of base and they are thx certified also.At that price range,u cannot expect more out of a 5.1 system.
If u purely need a stereo setup then u can consider options like klipsch which offers u excellent 2.1 computer speaker,guess the range starts from 10.5 k.
Try auditioning different systems and then personally conclude.

Have Fun
Vj

Both z-5500 and onkyo s3100 cost 18k. Which is better for gaming and metal music? I dont need help chosing the type of system. I already made up my mind for a 5.1 speakers 3 years ago.I need help choosing the models available in India which are under 20k. I have bose wave music for stereo.
The onkyo 18k offer is valid only upto nov 2nd. Thats why I am in a hurry to purchase.
Now I have another doubt. Is s3100 or z5500 a significant upgrade in clarity from t6060?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back