Standalone internet player

Kaushik and Steevie:

The ones mentioned by you are just internet radios that can connect wire/wireless to your router, with a decent phone jack, and built-in speakers. Remember, you can never connect an external DAC to the radios you both mentioned and simultaneously to an integrated amp., and they also dont have a digital or optical out.

What Helium wants is to connect his Beresford and his Lyrita to an standalone internet player, so that he can listen radios through his hifi setup via a digtial out. And, IMO, the SQ from SB or Sonos cannot be equalled to these standalone internet radios available at half the price.

And later, if Helium buys a pc and wants to take the pc-music route, the SB3 can come as a boom.

Or, if you don't want to connect an external DAC or digital out, etc., then you have....

PURE EVOKE Flow DAB Internet Radio: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo >>> i've heard this and its excellent for the money, an award winner too.

:)

Last edited:
Sammy do you know if there is a dealer in India for Logitech Squeezebox Touch or should I have to source the same?
Thank you

Yep there are quite a few dealers for Logitech, for a start I would have pointed you in the same direction where venkatcr has.

With the equipment like lyrita ,quiet surprised to see with your satisfaction level on 192 KBPS!!!
Anyway what I heard net radio is not at all 128 KBPS --expert can anyone confirm??
Such equipment deserves SACD or hi end tt!!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Most online radio stations are 128kbps, quite a few 192 and rarely you would find 256. Though yes Net Radio is'nt a substitute for CD music lisining, but even at 128kbps, its very good for casual listining while surfing or reading.

Helium - as I mentioned in the PM, this is the perfect opportunity to get your source digitized and introduce a PC into your chain. With a decent soundcard in your PC, you will be leaving behind the likes of Squeezebox far behind.

I'd not suggest a PC just for the sake of Internet Radio, though you CAN built a super cheap PC just for the same, it still would be bulkier and would hold up to many cables. If you gotta chose PC way, you got to priortize your reqirments/preference....

Still 256 kbps is far less tha acceptable MP3 @ 320 KBPS!
Also on which connection it is possible
?
Also will you post the links??

Almost all net radio works flawlessly on a constant 512kbps connection. And if you are asking about the links for online radio stations there are zillions. I'd suggest SHOUTcast to beginwith

Last edited:
hey guys standalone all internet radio players play streams without the pC! be it SB or what ever .. , not all stations give 128k streams...

stand alone internet radios start at 4k,instead of spending 24k for squeezbox investing in other audio upgrades might be preferable.
a buyers guide :A Buyer's Guide to Wi-Fi Internet Radio Receivers - Portable Internet Radio

There is a reason Squeezebox touch is expensive, first and formost its touchscreen, and then it upport sampling rates up to 24-bit/96kHz, then things like proximity senser adds up to the price.....though its absolutely on ones preference for these kind of needs.
I doubt though any low end radio player has a digital out.

I purchased a Pinnacle SoundBridge (also sold independantly by Roku) for 7k from Reliance Digital in Gurgaon about a year or so ago.

Am very happy with the performance.

Like the Squeezebox, you dont need a PC, it talks wirelessly to the router and plays internet radio. Of course, it can stream your media from the PC (wirelessly) and also play from a SD card.

I have not heard the Squeezebox which I guess has a lot more features, but do not regret getting the Soundbridge at all! :)

The newer models also have digital out I beleive.

You can see some details at
Roku - SoundBridge

or

Pinnacle Systems - Product summary - Pinnacle SoundBridge

Kaushik and Steevie:

The ones mentioned by you are just internet radios that can connect wire/wireless to your router, with a decent phone jack, and built-in speakers. Remember, you can never connect an external DAC to the radios you both mentioned and simultaneously to an integrated amp., and they also dont have a digital or optical out.

What Helium wants is to connect his Beresford and his Lyrita to an standalone internet player, so that he can listen radios through his hifi setup via a digtial out. And, IMO, the SQ from SB or Sonos cannot be equalled to these standalone internet radios available at half the price.

And later, if Helium buys a pc and wants to take the pc-music route, the SB3 can come as a boom.

Or, if you don't want to connect an external DAC or digital out, etc., then you have....

PURE EVOKE Flow DAB Internet Radio: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo >>> i've heard this and its excellent for the money, an award winner too.

hi vinod,

the smaller ones like the rca one do have an output jack to connect to your amp. quality? well certainly digital out to his dac will be better but then this is internet radio where general quality itself is not up to cd levels so for the sake of budget he can consider compromising on sound quality. 5k to 19k is a huge jump!

all options for him to consider :)

regards

I feel that a decent laptop with optical out ( or USB to optical converter) connected to net will be far better. You can play FLAC or WAV files as well as net radio too!
Or to reduce the price think of PC!

Anyway you DO NOT require PC for first time configration of Squeezebox????
Like I take brodband and connect squeezebox and it will start functioning? And what about WIFI?

I feel that a decent laptop with optical out ( or USB to optical converter) connected to net will be far better. You can play FLAC or WAV files as well as net radio too!
Or to reduce the price think of PC!

Like I take brodband and connect squeezebox and it will start functioning? And what about WIFI?

Squeeze box does not require PC and yes all you need is a net connection and a router incase you wanna go Wifi. Just plug the cat5 ethernet cable to the box or use the wifi option to streme the station wirelessly. Intrernet radio is not bandwidth heavy and works on a 512kbps connection flawlessly.

No, don't need PC at all. Power up the Squeezebox and it'll ask you everything you need to connect wireless/wire to your modem. Everything is displayed in the SB screen, all you have to do is using the remote scroll the options and select.

You need your pc just to register with Logitech website. It's a box of magic.

Have a look at Squeezebox being dissected... (not in English, sorry)

http://translate.google.com/transla...laekre-squeezebox&sl=da&tl=en&history_state0=

Last edited:
kaushik!!!

i am deeply indebted to you for pointing out cheaper internet stand alone players. :licklips: thought they were all expensive propositions!

regards
i am happy for that ,
for guys like me there are diy versions

here is a pdf of building
one at home http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/01128b.pdf?from=rss
Diy versions do look cool see this

3568413842_ca6a2bc59d.jpg

built from wifi router ...
Mighty ohm :mightyOhm Blog Archive Building a Wifi Radio Part 10, Building the Box

i have not considered the optical out part , i think this will not make huge difference as the radio streams may not be of very high quality .

better use pc (lappy) for dedicated listening.. there are many 1k USB to spdif adapters.

with 4 -5k device one should start.

Some facts .. the internet radio will consume bandwidth ... unless you have internet conn 512k+ it will play with gaps
if someone is using the net for video or downloading .. however while doing normal browsing , my software player 'Radio master' does not break...i have a < 512k connection.

Last edited:
Hi why migrating from 1 low quality source( worldspace) to another (net radio?)
Your equip,ent deserve far better....buy a good transport and CD's man ...or get a pc /laptop with digital out and connect it to your dac!!!!:eek:hyeah:

Thanks for the inputs. Now I extremely satified with my new setup, transport and have extremely high quality Cd's. I hope you come over your anexities as it's all about evolment.

Variety is the spice of life. There is only so much of music one can buy or download and store on HDD. I like the element of uncertainity of the songs that are being transmitted.

Do you need a broom for your sweeping generalization?

A Squeezebox connected to an external DAC through digital cable can almost equal to a 25k cdp. IMO. Please dont underestimate the stock DAC of Squeezebox, its pretty decent actually.

Vinod - I thought I mentioned clearly. I was not talking about a Squeezebox plus DAC setup. I was talking about just a Squeezebox setup. I am sure that does not need a broom :).

Seriously spending about 7000 to 8000 on a sound card will get you the kind of sound that the Squeezebox would never be able to match on its own. Now, if you add a DAC to it it is another story altogether and remember the cost too is gone through the roof. It is all relative.

But then there may be people who prefer the Squeezebox sound presentation.

I'd not suggest a PC just for the sake of Internet Radio, though you CAN built a super cheap PC just for the same, it still would be bulkier and would hold up to many cables. If you gotta chose PC way, you got to priortize your reqirments/preference....

Hmm.. I was not suggesting the PC solution just for the radio situation. I was suggesting that this would be the perfect time for Helium to setup a PC as his ultimate source equipment. As a CD/DVD player basically. Which can also play internet radio of course.

Last edited:
Helium:

As of now the Touch is not available in India (but I might be wrong) - if you can source it from the UK/USA, it would workout way cheaper than the Indian prices. Having said that, I don't find the Touch too much of a convenience though. For a lot less money, you can get the Squeezebox Classic here in India, and the SQ is excellent with the stock DAC (Burr-Brown). And, since you have the Beresford, connecting it via the coax-digital from the SB3, would give you top notch SQ comparable to CD.

I have my Classic connected via QED analogue to my integrated amp with the stock SB3 DAC, and the sound from internet radios are good, would be far better with the digital connection and an external DAC.

After connecting your SB3 wireless/wired via router, you need to download their SqueezeServer to your pc (platform for communication between your pc and SB3) and you'll be ready for streaming music stored in your pc.

But, the greates advantage I find in the SB3 are the internet radios, it's a huge ocean out there. And, you have the flexibility now of listening them through your hifi setup via the Squeezebox.

I find SB Classic amazing for these...

For interent radio listening, no need to switch on pc. SB3 streams via router.
Flexibility of searching thousands of net radios from your chair using the remote.
Can be modded for a supeior sound for FLAC, etc.
The pc-remote controlling the SB3 is amazing - need to download the pc-remote though from SB site. This allows you to control your SB3 from your pc.
Very powerful signal, meaning, can connect to your router even if SB3 is placed in the first floor of your house and the router in the ground floor.

SB Classic is available here....

Wi-Fi Music Players

PS - I got my SB3 for around 10k from the UK.

My requirements
No Computers: Only Music: Can live without DAC if sound quality is not day & night difference

Now since David you are personally using this product, your the best man to clarify few more questions. On their website

Logitech Squeezebox FAQ

What is a Squeezebox Wi-Fi music player?

Products like Squeezebox Duet connect to your home stereo or powered speakers, while products like Squeezebox Boom and Squeezebox Radio offer an all-in-one solution with built-in speakers
  • Does it mean that I cannot connect Logitech Radio / Squeezebox Boom to my amp?
  • Will there be lot of difference between the Duet/ Touch in comparision to Logitech Radio?
  • Doesn't the Logitech Radio stock DAC (Burr-Brown)?
  • Have you personally tried to connect an external DAC and note the difference?

Thank you for your time and efforts in resolving my queries

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

• Does it mean that I cannot connect Logitech Radio / Squeezebox Boom to my amp?
  • Will there be lot of difference between the Duet/ Touch in comparision to Logitech Radio?
  • Doesn't the Logitech Radio stock DAC (Burr-Brown)?
  • Have you personally tried to connect an external DAC and note the difference?

Helium:

Yes, you CANNOT connect your Lyrita/Beresford to a a Logitech Radio/Boom because they don't have analogue connections (RCA). They both have only socket for a headphone and a line-in for MP3 and portable cdp.

With respect to sound quality Logitech Radio/Boom both will be equal to a Squeezebox Classic. But Classic will have loads of features like remote, digital out, integration with your pc, which you cannot find in Radio/Boom.

Yes, Radio/Boom has Burr-Brown, which is actually very nice for a stock DAC. Your 64k, 128k, etc., will sound beautiful.

I don't have an external DAC now. Am listening internet radios through my SB Classic via QED analogue cables, and it sounds fantastic. So, am sure the radios/FLAC with an external DAC via digital out will sound double fantastic.

Can't you have a demo in Delhi somewhere all these Logitech devices, it would be really helpful ?

Any further doubts, pls ask.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back