Standalone internet player

Agreed!. It sounds pretty good and you should not spend on another DAC Like Beresford if you get SB. :)

If you have a cheap 3 to 4k DVDP then a Beresford can help upgrade your setup. those already having a 16 to 20K CDP or SB should consider a DAC or another CDP in the 50K+ price range (assuming it provides true value comparable to its price)

Cheers

Gobble, like I mentioned to you the other day, I am getting the Emotiva UMC-1 Surround Sound-processor for my Home Theater. I am now looking forward to it even more after reading this thread about how well the SB Duet and UMC-1 sound together:
The Emotiva Lounge - Logitech Squeezebox Duet on UMC-1

One of the members has even said it sounds almost as good as his Benchmark DAC-1. Even if it does half of what the DAC-1 supposedly does, I'd be happy:)

Gobble, like I mentioned to you the other day, I am getting the Emotiva UMC-1 Surround Sound-processor for my Home Theater. I am now looking forward to it even more after reading this thread about how well the SB Duet and UMC-1 sound together:
The Emotiva Lounge - Logitech Squeezebox Duet on UMC-1

One of the members has even said it sounds almost as good as his Benchmark DAC-1. Even if it does half of what the DAC-1 supposedly does, I'd be happy:)

Looks like I will have to visit again for a listen :)

Cheers

SB should consider a DAC or another CDP in the 50K+ price range (assuming it provides true value comparable to its price)

Cheers

Santosh I think this is another exercise you can do; an expensive DAC (under 50K) connected to SB Duet and see if it is VFM.

Kindest regards,
--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4

Oh WOW what I'm thinking your actually implementing (Emotiva Lounge - Logitech Squeezebox Duet on UMC-1). Guess I'm a bit slow.

Now you really need to share this experience!

Kindest regards,
--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4

My primary system is as follows:

On first Floor
Netgear NAS
Netgear Router(wireless)

On Ground Floor

SB Classic
Optical out to NOS DAC(Audiosector Premium version)-this has two line outs, and both are kept connected

1. One set is connected to DIYHIFISUPPLY Joplin Class A 9wpc 2A3 amp, which is connected to my FR floorstanders (Bob Brines design, suign Fostex 167E)

2. Second output is connected to my sub- a 12 inch using single passive radiator powered by 250watts mono plate amp.

Im hoping over the next few weeks to slowly get my other 2 systems for 2 channel audio hooked up and playing. One will be connected to my LCD TV, in my bedroom, using the SB Duet as and when I get it, and another will be used for serious listening-this will use a 28 wpc, EL 34 PP amp.

George

Looks like I will have to visit again for a listen :)
Definitely Gobble, it was my pleasure to have cmsajith and you drop in for an audition last Sunday. Thanks for your time, I learnt a lot from you and cmsajith on many things:). We should have another audition at my place once I have integrate my UMC-1 with the other components. Would also like to know your views on some query I have raised in thread below:
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...-pro-audiophile-sq-features-7.html#post132730

Oh WOW what I'm thinking your actually implementing (Emotiva Lounge - Logitech Squeezebox Duet on UMC-1). Guess I'm a bit slow.

Now you really need to share this experience!

Hey HF, I did not know you too were into Home Theater. The UMC-1 is primarily a 7.1 preamp/sound processor that I am buying for my HT setup. Its ability to do stereo pre-amping (in 2 channel direct mode) is a big bonus for me. Checkout link posted above (in my reply to gobble) to get an idea of the entire chain.

Santosh I think this is another exercise you can do; an expensive DAC (under 50K) connected to SB Duet and see if it is VFM.
I don't know anyone with an expensive DAC in Bangalore.
Edit:I think Marsilians bought one recently, maybe I could request him. Wonder what DAC is Stevieboy using after he let his Wadia go? Need to check with them.

My primary system is as follows:

On first Floor
Netgear NAS
Netgear Router(wireless)

On Ground Floor

SB Classic
Our Squeezebox Ustad - George is the main reason (in more ways than one) I have the SB amongst my other AV gear today. I saw the SB working its magic at one of our Bangalore HFV meets and was in awe for its capabilities. Thanks again George.

Wonder what DAC is Stevieboy using after he let his Wadia go? Need to check with them.

hi santhol,

airport express :D that money will eventually go into quality tubes/upgrades to the vinyl system. the sound from internet radio is more than enough for me. doesn't sound too shabby at all considering its background listening.

regards

airport express as dac?
I think Stevie is using the airport express as a transport.

hi santhol,

airport express :D that money will eventually go into quality tubes/upgrades to the vinyl system. the sound from internet radio is more than enough for me. doesn't sound too shabby at all considering its background listening.

regards
If I understand correct, you intend to use the airport express as a transport playing off your Macbook for your background listening and your vinyl setup for critical listening. Stevie Jobs from Planet VI no longer uses a CD player and DAC like us mortal earthlings:D.

Last edited:
I think Stevie is using the airport express as a transport.

If I understand correct, you intend to use the airport express as a transport playing off your Macbook for your background listening and your vinyl setup for critical listening. Stevie Jobs from Planet VI no longer uses a CD player and DAC like us mortal earthlings:D.

greetings earthlings once again,

yes santhol has it right. well almost :p the macbook holds songs and is streamed to the airport express. in future i'd move to an outboard storage medium. so the macbook is the transport and the airport express has a built in dac to convert digital to analog. i have an rca one to two interconnect that runs from the airport express to my amp. or you can use the same socket as an optical out. so i guess that makes the airport express a dac to answer anm's question. dacs are out, mint yip is the current flavour, for those in the know ;)

signing out from the brilliantly black planet VI

you surely mean worse way :p :D ok ok joking. i know lots of guys here prefer other players to itunes. nopes don't think so. only itunes compatible as far as i recall.

regards

Hello friends,

I believe their are few people on the forum who have actally received the
SB- Duet. Would kindly request them to share their experiences...

How would you rate this product on 10?

Thank you for your time
--
helium

Hi helium,

My responses in Bold below. I've posted a more detailed review under Reviews section, which is currently awaiting Admin approval, and should (hopefully) come up soon

• As a stand alone dac: Cannot comment as I have never heard a specialized DAC
  • Quality of internet radio channels Audio quality is definitely nice for 128kbps streams
  • Bufferring issues None now, after adjusting the Buffer before Play duration to 15 seconds
  • Sb used with external DAC No
  • Can we type, search by the name of the artist ex: peter white (smooth jazz)/ (Classic Rock) Allman brothers? You can search but you get internet radio stations or Podcasts with that search string in description. If I understand this right, I think what you meant was Search & Play songs on demand. Some websites support that and you add the site as an App in the Squeezebox.
  • Can we see the album art cover on the remote screen If you play local content, yes. If you play internet radio stations, you see the Logo of the radio station. But you do see artist & song information.
  • Is there a volume control on remote and does it increase the gain/loudness Yes, but you can disable it from Options if you want to keep volume at Max and use your Amplifier volume knob to control volume
  • Warranty I think if you import, you lose warranty
  • Adaptor -Voltages issues Both adapters provided are universal voltage
  • Performance- resetting/ hanging issues No hanging issues. There's a server availability issue though, that I've mentioned in my review.

My rating is 7 on 10.

Cheers!

So what did you decide hf from following 3 options?
Standalone player with digital out sb or roku
Laptop or laptop + airport express
Portable device with internet radio - like ipod touch

So what did you decide hf from following 3 options?
Standalone player with digital out sb or roku
Laptop or laptop + airport express
Portable device with internet radio - like ipod touch
Let me let the cat out of the bag:clapping:.

HeliumFlight has bought a Squeezebox Duet online two days ago. Part of the delay was me as I was scouting for a good deal and finalised a (brand new, sealed box) SB Duet for 310$ including shipping to HF's uncle's house. It will be a while before it reaches him as his uncle returns in a month's time. In the meanwhile, he has already set up his broadband and PC.

George, SB prices have gone through the roof. SB Duets are selling for more than 400$ on ebay. Used SB Classics are selling for 250:eek:. He had one more at 299$ but is gone just few hours after I bought one for HF.

My search for an additional receiver continues (for both of us). I have asked the same seller if he has just the receiver unit for you and me, will keep you posted if he has.

Hey Guys, even Xtreamer have the internet radio option, probably lesser channels but can you guys please tell me how much difference it is than a duet, considering the high price difference.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back