Standalone internet player

Hey Guys, even Xtreamer have the internet radio option, probably lesser channels but can you guys please tell me how much difference it is than a duet, considering the high price difference.

Some advantages of SB over Xtreamer are:
1) No need to leave TV/Projector on to listen to Internet Radio or Music from your collection
2) SQ of Internet Radio is also very good and no buffering issues
3) Has a good onboard DAC (Wolfson) compared to Xtreamer. So SQ is good.
4) Remote is Wifi, so you don't need to be in the same room to change songs
5) Interface and ease of use is amazing
6) Internet Radio channels are more in SB

Some advantages of SB over Xtreamer are:
1) No need to leave TV/Projector on to listen to Internet Radio or Music from your collection
But for xtreamer also I don;t need to keep the TV switched on once I start the channel. But yeah for changing I'll have to.

2) SQ of Internet Radio is also very good and no buffering issues
3) Has a good onboard DAC (Wolfson) compared to Xtreamer. So SQ is good.
4) Remote is Wifi, so you don't need to be in the same room to change songs
5) Interface and ease of use is amazing
6) Internet Radio channels are more in SB
And with all these it means that I've now one gadget to add to my kity. Great, I'm doomed now.:clapping:

Folks I had started this thread some time back and hence I was saving for purchase of the same.

I purchased 2 SB Duets one for Santhol2 and the other one for myself. I was really excited to use this with my existing setup as I wanted to listen to the ocean of music, 24 X 7. But all this excitment turned into anguish as both of the units didn't power on. So I contacted Santhol2 the unoffical SB support and I'm sending him the units over for diagnosis.

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4

I too had some starting trouble on the Duet, but since I was used to the SBClassic I realised that trying to set it up like the Classic was not the way to go this is a bit different-it is not at all difficult to set up and use if you follow the instructions.

Now that I have it up and running I plan to set up my friends Duet later today. It's a really cool device.

Folks I had started this thread some time back and hence I was saving for purchase of the same.

I purchased 2 SB Duets one for Santhol2 and the other one for myself. I was really excited to use this with my existing setup as I wanted to listen to the ocean of music, 24 X 7. But all this excitment turned into anguish as both of the units didn't power on. So I contacted Santhol2 the unoffical SB support and I'm sending him the units over for diagnosis.

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4

Recently bought Squeezebox Boom.At the moment this is the only Squeezebox for sale in India through Logitech or even Amazon.NICE but has only a headphone/sub woofer out.When I used this output with my amp/speakers the results were less than satisfactory.The recently launched 'TOUCH' should fulfill your requirements.

hi - any updates on the faulty duets? Are they working fine now? Or did you get a refund from ebay?

It has been a harrowing experience first buying it from U.S and then returning it back.

Now there's no word from the ebayer...:sad:

Good news Santhol2 informed me that the ebayer is processsing the refunds which I will use to purchase SB Classic on ebay.in:eek:hyeah:

Can't live without music, hope you can understand.

Good news Santhol2 informed me that the ebayer is processsing the refunds which I will use to purchase SB Classic on ebay.in:eek:hyeah:

Can't live without music, hope you can understand.

buddy having a very good system why you are feeding with CRAPPY 128 kbps music?:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:That to max. 120 kbps?:D

I mean tubes deserve a good source..you already have a good dac ( without usb ?) so why not a desktop or laptop with digital out ( there are few laptops with SPDIF out ) and all music on harddrive in FLAC? OR media player with Digital out? Even a WDTV connected to DAC with optical cable will sound far better than SB.SB is not miracle machine which adds details to 128 KBPS ( or lesser ) encoded music.
So in case of 128 KBPSmusic there is GIGO effect ( garbage in ,garbage out) !!!
In case of SB the weak link will be 128 KBPS music..of course if you want to save money on source then it is your choice ,but that is kinda strange with other equipment you have? ( Like Lyrita amp,B&W speakers and Beresford Dac and older Beyston amp Right?):cool::cool::cool:

Hemant

You may not be aware that the SB units can not only stream music from the net but also connect to a source( I use a Network Attached Storage Device as my audio server) on your home network which stores audio files in lossless formats like FLAC.

George

buddy having a very good system why you are feeding with CRAPPY 128 kbps music?:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:That to max. 120 kbps?:D.........In case of SB the weak link will be 128 KBPS music..of course if you want to save money on source then it is your choice ,but that is kinda strange with other equipment you have? ( Like Lyrita amp,B&W speakers and Beresford Dac and older Beyston amp Right?):cool::cool::cool:

Hemant, am not sure if you have listened to the Squeezebox. Don't let the Logitech Brandname fool you. Logitech took over another company called Slimdevices which originally came up with the SB. If you have not listened to one, you should. The SB does more than just play 128 kbps. It can play FLAC, Apple Lossless, Mp3s (128 to 320kbps) apart from flawless Internet Radio. I have the Squeezebox Duet and can vouch for the SQ. FYI, SBs has wolfson or BurrBrown DAC depending on the model. The convenience it brings is unmatched. It is well-regarded in audio circles, try and do some reading/listening.

EDIT: Just saw George's post. I too use it with a NAS to play FLAC. It was George who introduced me to the SB during the Bangalore Hifivision meet.

Last edited:
I sometimes listen to a blues radio station through airport express and it streams in less than 128kbps :D but it's thoroughly enjoyable and not that bad at all! It's good to listen to stuff you don't own on CD or lp.

buddy having a very good system why you are feeding with CRAPPY 128 kbps music?:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:That to max. 120 kbps?:D
Though this question isn't addressed to me, allow me to offer my 2 cents on this.
2 reasons: Content & Convenience. IMO: letting an opportunity to listen to new content pass because one has a system that sounds better with HQ content is Snobbery, and actually works against one's love of music. At the end of the day, with all benchmarking done, any setup in supposed to play music you feed it. Example: A friend comes over, wants me to listen to a song, I notice it's 32kbps, and refuse to play it on my system because it's high-end, Beats the purpose of having a music setup, doesn't it?

It's a different matter though, when you have a choice between LQ & HQ (content remaining constant) and you consciously choose LQ. Even in those cases, there are valid justifications to choosing LQ sometimes. Example: You need to watch an old movie, Rental costs 75 bucks, DVD costs 300, and VCD costs 50 bucks. You figure you won't watch this movie multiple times, so just buy the VCD for a one-time watch.

Even a WDTV connected to DAC with optical cable will sound far better than SB
Just curious, have you done this comparison with the source remaining constant? If you're comparing SB playing a 128kbps stream and WDTV playing a FLAC, it isn't an Apples to Apples comparison. The value-add that SB brings to the table is Content. A fair comparison would be both playing the same FLAC.
On the other hand, if you're comparing an internet stream playing via a PC Vs. via SB, the value-add SB gives is a better DAC & the Convenience (though there are some server issues, which were more frequent earlier, but happen only occasionally now), while the value-add with a PC would be that it's a generic all purpose device & hence higher VFM.

The choice depends on how an individual likes to balance opportunity to sample new Content, Convenience factors, Cost & getting the best SQ out of your setup. But that's an individual choice!

I am more of conveneince Junkie and to be honest feel that I should sell all my collecton of vinyl ,2 TT's and Pioneer 610 and buy SB,Better DAC and Apple airport express.......
but to be honest I do not have that hi funda kit ....and I cannot afford it...but what is pretty strange is mentality to spend very high amount on Hardware ...and play lousy software on it..

for long the owner is posting his journey in sound ..with impressive equipment ...AND IGNORING BETTER SOURCE and SOFTWARE! So I find it funny..I stillhave opinion that SB id defiantly second option in your system ,but high end system deserve a good source and good or decent software.
I mean it is balance ..one's final audio budget should be proportionality divided in Source,Amplification ,Speakers AND Connectins,cables AND SOFTWARE. I always found it funny in past when my used to aquire 10000W PMPO system for 30K and in span of 2 years used to build collection of 10 casettes and 1 CD!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:( This is actual case I seen!)

And please nothing against SB ,in fact it streams FLAC which attracts me and my next purchase may be SB or like device! But yes I am planning to get a decent CD too ( Currently have one Sony ES and Pio 101 Changer) and that will be my FIRST source for my modes collection of 150-160 CD's

hmm - I think that sb is not a shabby source if lossless is played. May be quite good with his dac. Plus added advantage of "free" software while he builds up his own software compilation. He already has lot of CDs, just need to rip and play lossless over the network. A CDP is also a must now for his setup though.

hmm - I think that sb is not a shabby source if lossless is played. May be quite good with his dac.
looking at the reviews it must be a very good source.Logitech is taking audio business seriously.Also it appears that in digital media and streaming market conventional brands ( Read Sony,Pana, samsung) are not interested.

He already has lot of CDs, just need to rip and play lossless over the network. A CDP is also a must now for his setup though.
Oh cool . cause last time when we talked he was talking about CDs are too expensive ,how one can buy them..this was quiet strange and funny....:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: I mean person havin Bryston averse buying cds??and using LG DVD as source expecting sound will be improving through DAC..

Hemant, am not sure if you have listened to the Squeezebox. Don't let the Logitech Brandname fool you. Logitech took over another company called Slimdevices which originally came up with the SB. If you have not listened to one, you should. The SB does more than just play 128 kbps. It can play FLAC, Apple Lossless, Mp3s (128 to 320kbps) apart from flawless Internet Radio. I have the Squeezebox Duet and can vouch for the SQ. FYI, SBs has wolfson or BurrBrown DAC depending on the model. The convenience it brings is unmatched. It is well-regarded in audio circles, try and do some reading/listening.

EDIT: Just saw George's post. I too use it with a NAS to play FLAC. It was George who introduced me to the SB during the Bangalore Hifivision meet.
They also sell an "audiophile" model at (?)more than ten times the price of the basuc receiver
Though this question isn't addressed to me, allow me to offer my 2 cents on this.
2 reasons: Content & Convenience. IMO: letting an opportunity to listen to new content pass because one has a system that sounds better with HQ content is Snobbery, and actually works against one's love of music. At the end of the day, with all benchmarking done, any setup in supposed to play music you feed it. Example: A friend comes over, wants me to listen to a song, I notice it's 32kbps, and refuse to play it on my system because it's high-end, Beats the purpose of having a music setup, doesn't it?

It's a different matter though, when you have a choice between LQ & HQ (content remaining constant) and you consciously choose LQ. Even in those cases, there are valid justifications to choosing LQ sometimes. Example: You need to watch an old movie, Rental costs 75 bucks, DVD costs 300, and VCD costs 50 bucks. You figure you won't watch this movie multiple times, so just buy the VCD for a one-time watch.

Just curious, have you done this comparison with the source remaining constant? If you're comparing SB playing a 128kbps stream and WDTV playing a FLAC, it isn't an Apples to Apples comparison. The value-add that SB brings to the table is Content. A fair comparison would be both playing the same FLAC.
On the other hand, if you're comparing an internet stream playing via a PC Vs. via SB, the value-add SB gives is a better DAC & the Convenience (though there are some server issues, which were more frequent earlier, but happen only occasionally now), while the value-add with a PC would be that it's a generic all purpose device & hence higher VFM.

The choice depends on how an individual likes to balance opportunity to sample new Content, Convenience factors, Cost & getting the best SQ out of your setup. But that's an individual choice!
Because we like to eat in expensive restaurants does not mean we cannot take and enjoy cheap food. I do believe (subjectively and unscientifically) that there is a fatigue effect from listening to highly compressed audo. That means that I would never be one of those people who says, "Look, my whole music collection on an ipod, I don't even open a CD cover now" and not that I would never listen to highly compressed content. One instance in which I have no choice is BBC drama online (and this is where I sometimes particularly [think I] notice fatigue). My choice? Accept it as it is or miss it completely.

ok - I have an appleTV 160GB now (the prev version). A friend carried from UK. It is very simple to setup and I am right now listening to some rock/ metal station. It is sounding quite fine to me. I like it for its ability to have songs on local storage unlike sb.

Even xtreamer can play radio stations, but again, the issue is it needs a display to choose station etc.
SB classic probably won't require a display to be on, but I am not sure how easy would it be to choose a station.

I hope I shall be able to make appletv headless and use an iphone/ ipod as a remote with screen. Waiting for an iphone/ ipod to cross my path. Maybe I will borrow from someone just to test.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back