Steady increase in DTH package prices

a_s_r

I am looking for a new DTH connection to get the HD channels. I am a Hathway normal cable subscriber who hasn't seen much increase in prices over the years.

One of the interesting thing while "googling" the topic was the steady increase in the price of the packages. If I come across a thread, comparing the packages and the service providers, even if it was posted only few months back, it doesn't make any sense as the prices are higher now. The below post is a very good example.

A la carte also doesn't make sense as the individual channels are priced very high.

Is Videocon really VFM for South India?

I bought Videocon D2H in February this year. I subscribed for Platinum HD pack (ROI) for Rs. 480 p.m. However, since then videocon has raised prices 2 times. First it was increased to 520 and now 550!

In comparison the Ultra pack of Airtel with HD was coming to Rs. 605 in February, whereas now its increased to 625 only (450+175).

Apart from the fact that videocon is losing its VFM tag, I want to know what is the reason for these spike in prices? (not specific to videocon). I really don't see any "helpful" channels being added to the kitty. For eg. a few months ago, 4 new HD channels were started, all south Indian. Useless for me since I do not understand any of the languages. Am I also paying for these?

Do the DTH operators have a free-hand for charging customers whatever they deem fit?

Actually as per TRAI guidelines when the channels are offerred as a bouquet then the operator has a free hand in th e pricing. Further the DTH operators are also required to keep ala-carte pricing on channels which all have done so.

Well I also have DEN cable TV which charges 400 pm for all channels inclusive of 20 HD channels.

I share the same sentiment. I am subscriber of Tata Sky DTH and for last 4 years (megapack). I too, noticed frequent increase in prices. Earlier I used to get everything under megapack. Now they have created special subgroups that is not viewable to megapack holders and require shelling out extra money.
Is there anybody to control the DTH pricing?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back