step down transformer for ETC subwoofer

lezz_cool

Hi Friends,

This is my first post on the forum. After much research here and elsewhere on the net I have finalised Denon AVR 1612 & ETC 5.1 as my first hifi system. Got the speakers from USA through a freind for $400 and now looking out for the Denon AVR 1612 in Mumbai.

1) Need your help in figuring out what capacity step down transformer do I use to power the ETC sub...
2) Where can I get good deals for the Denon AVR 1612 in Mumbai? I am all too tempted to get that also from the USA cause the price is probably less than half in India but I am worried about the 110V & 60 Hz set up..

Thanks a ton in advance for your help...In case the above is already addressed in some other thread kindly let me know..

Regards...

thanks for your reply baijuxavior...

1) At the rear of the sub its mentioned 120V-60 Hz 1.0 A. It is basically a 200 Watt and 60W RMS sub. Can use the step down tranformer but will the 50 Hz current here affect the performance of the sub...

2) I can go upto Rs. 30k for the avr. You think even a USA AVR will work with the stepdown transformer ..? I really like the Denon AVR 1712 (US model) and would want to get it if it can work here ....

1. Frequency should not be much of a problem.
2. US AVR can also be powered by step down trafo. Many FMs are using this method here.

hi guys, this is my first post here and specifically addressed to lezz_cool but anyone else can please reply to it too. I have recently bought Energy Take Classic 5.1 home theatre speakers with denon avr 1612 and connected them just today.

like lezz_cool, i too had zeroed down on energy take classic 5.1 speakers with denon avr 1612 but decided to get the reciever from mumbai itself to avoid these voltage problems. To my utter amazement, frustration and shock i found 120v-60Hz 1.0A written behind my ETC sub when i connected it finally.

Reading various threads on this site came to know a lot of stuff but still am afraid as to what wattage of transformer to use for the ETC sub. Also wud like to know from lezz_cool what did he do ultimately to resove his problem and whether the solution is working fine.
Don't wanna explode this sub at any cost. Guys pls advise.

also wanna know that most step down transformers offering 230v step down to 110 v whereas my subwoofer says 120v . is that a problem ? wont ask abt frequency as u have already mentioned that it wont affect much

I have recently bought Energy Take Classic 5.1 home theatre speakers with denon avr 1612 and connected them just today.
a13.jpg
k2.jpg

hi baijuxavior
can u pls guide me towards my dilemma.
1. what step down transformer should i buy etc sub of rating 120v 60hz 1.0 amp .
2. most step down transformers providing step down only to 110v. will that affect my 120v sub.
3. what abt the frewquency 60 hz? will 50 Hz cause any ill effects?
4. also, iam presently using composite rca cables for audio and video, is that why no sound is coming through my surround speakers. the avr says stereo audio

Hi,

I have been using a yamaha avr bought from the US for the last 7-8 yrs with a step down transformer of 1500 watts without a problem.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back