Stereo amp and speakers for 3-4 lacs

Naturelover

Staff member
Hi all,

The Arcam amplification got totaled due to some electrical wiring fault :mad:.
Looking to have a new stereo setup. Thought I could do an upgrade at the same time. I am looking primarily for amplification and speakers. Unsure of DAC as yet. Planning to go for a music PC with a good card.
I have read much about tube amplification but have never really heard anything remotely tube except for Prem's awesome rig and AP PM-1/AM-1 pre-power. Would like to sample some more before I decide on tube or SS. I had kinda quite liked the AP sound.

My budget for both together would be upto 4 lacs. Might be tempted to go beyond if I really like something.
I would like to have suggestions on what brands and models of amps and speakers to audition to get a good idea of the difference in the sounds of tubes and SS.

I will be visiting Kochi and Bangalore next month and Mumbai a little later. Will be looking at Lyrita in Mumbai at Serenata and maybe make a trip to Delhi later.
Looking to Kochi and Bangalore first, will be visiting Audio Analog Labs in Kochi and AP in Bangalore. Apart from that I do not have any idea of these places except some dealer names from the forum like ARN, Absolute Phase, The Listening Room, Music Ranch. Would these places have equipment in my budget? Any other showrooms? Will visit Rethm in Kochi but they are a little beyond my budget :sad:. But who knows! Hydra's thread has had me drooling :licklips:!
Do ARN still have Line Magnetic? It does not show on their website. Have written to them also.

I listen to Indian Classical, Jazz, Folk, Old Bollywood and Classic Rock. I am middle aged and volume is low to mid level.
My listening room is a living room 17' x 13'. Thus the speakers need to be on the smaller side.

I am very much willing to look at used equipment as well.

Cheers!

In Kochi, hear the Rethm setup as well. The Trishnas or Margaas may work in your room.

Try reaching out to a few FMs to listen to their setups as well.

Apart from AP there are a few other dealers may be worthwhile reaching out to in Bangalore - ARN, Jochen (the listening room), Absolute Phase are some that I've dealt with here

Good luck

Hi Naturelover,

Since you got a chance to revive musical journey accidentally, I would suggest you to go for customized setup according to your room size and preference.
Speakers can be custom made and in your city I saw one company(snap attached) from which you can have your choice of drivers and size of the cabinate. I am not sure they do the custom requirements but you can give it a try.
for Variety of sound signature you can have 2 inexpensive pre amps like IFI-ITUBE and PASS B1( same as mine). ITUBE is for tube sound and PASS B1 for full reproduction of sound spectrum. This is my suggestion as per my observation till now in my short journey. For power amps you have ample options and you are much experienced in that.

Cheers
Dheeraj

Last edited:
Spendor might also be a good option for you. A6 and a good solid-state amp like Naim or Exposure might do the trick...

Can I check out Cadence in Bangalore? Analog Audio Lab of Kochi do mention cadence on their site. Have written to them.
Check out Cadence's range.

Can I really get the SHL5 in that budget? Staxx had quoted 2.7 for his recently.
The Harbeths/Spendors would suit your music very well...You can look at the Harbeth SHL5 in that budget and a good used integrated amplifier as they do not require fancy amps....

Has Staxx been able to sell his Harbeths? If not, please go and take a listen....You can look at used Naim integrateds which should come under a lakh......So spend the maximum portion of your budget on speakers please...

I think you should seriously consider those SHL5s too. You will have a fairly decent amount left over for the amp.

I can also guarantee that you will definitely like the Rethm Trishna + Gaanam combo for your kind of music. :eek:hyeah:

Hi Naturelover

If you go to Cochin, you could probably hear my Saadhanas there and compare it with the Trishna. They should both be in a similar price range. Of course one is old and the other new.

My Saadhanas will be reaching Jacob by August 10.

Well, Staxxx has sold his Harbeths. Yes, shall be going to Rethm in Kochi.
I think you should seriously consider those SHL5s too. You will have a fairly decent amount left over for the amp.

I can also guarantee that you will definitely like the Rethm Trishna + Gaanam combo for your kind of music. :eek:hyeah:

I will be in Kochi on the 12th. So just might get to hear them.
Hi Naturelover

If you go to Cochin, you could probably hear my Saadhanas there and compare it with the Trishna. They should both be in a similar price range. Of course one is old and the other new.

My Saadhanas will be reaching Jacob by August 10.

Can I check out Cadence in Bangalore? Analog Audio Lab of Kochi do mention cadence on their site. Have written to them.

Check with Analog Audio...they can arrange for an audition in Bangalore. Why don't you plan a trip to Mumbai...more options there...

Also, check out Magnapan....might be a good option...but would need hefty amplification...

Check with Analog Audio...they can arrange for an audition in Bangalore. Why don't you plan a trip to Mumbai...more options there...

Also, check out Magnapan....might be a good option...but would need hefty amplification...

+1 for Magnepan....lovely midrange and very suitable for your kind of music....But you need to invest in a very good and powerful amplifier as well so that will reduce the speaker budget....

Another +1 for the Magneplanar 3.6 with high powered amplification (like the Cadence Canasyas).

Or the big Blumenhofer (Fun 17? I think) with a good integrated.

But the Magnepans are so big. This is a smallish living room. Would they fit?
How much do they cost?
The Blumenhofer 17s are way beyond my budget! Would there be any within my budget?

Sridhar of ARN has recommended Contrast Audio or Usher 6361 speakers with Symphonic Line or Usher amp.
Prithvi of Absolute Phase has suggested entry level Prima Luna with Harbeth P3ESR.
Have also been suggested Harbeth with Line Magnetic.
Any opinions on these?

But the Magnepans are so big. This is a smallish living room. Would they fit?
How much do they cost?
The Blumenhofer 17s are way beyond my budget! Would there be any within my budget?

Sridhar of ARN has recommended Contrast Audio or Usher 6361 speakers with Symphonic Line or Usher amp.
Prithvi of Absolute Phase has suggested entry level Prima Luna with Harbeth P3ESR.
Have also been suggested Harbeth with Line Magnetic.
Any opinions on these?

I've heard very large Magnepans in a small room. They sounded very good (this was in a dedicated room) but aesthetics were quite bad (didnt matter as a dedicated room but would matter in a living room). No idea about pricing in India.

I have no experience with the Contrast Audio or the Usher model. Have heard the old Usher Be 718 sound very good in a small room though, albeit with beefy solid state amps. There is a long list of other bookshelf speakers to consider as well.

Within the Harbeth range, the Compact 7 is quite a big step up from the P3ESR and would suit your room better. I'm not a fan of the Prima Luna amps though

The contrast audio speaker is tube friendly and might be worth auditioning for sure. The blumenhofer bookshelf is an incredible speaker as well. Harbeths are great if you listen to a lot of not so complex music. They will struggle with hard rock.

Rethm would easily be my top pick. They are the most well rounded speaker out there and a bargain for the Indian prices.

I would give cadence a pass. They are very unreliable. I would instead suggest you listen to spendor. Another option to check is triangle compete anniversary at Audio planet in bangalore. Its a nice speaker and very tube friendly.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back