stereo system under 30k

@murali,hwr ur craftel FS doin?which ones?specs/impressions?have heard that mark makes some very good stuff for the price.any link to his product portfolio?cheers

The Wharfedales have low and loud bass, even the 10.1 went much lower and louder in the lower registers than my more expensive Ushers, but the mids and highs are where they lose out. The 10.1 is still a great speaker for the price, and if you're looking to play rock music and are not too fussed about the last word in detail and cohesion, it's a very good choice.

Hi Ranjeetrain, Sanjiv Vaid,
Clarification:
I didn't mean to advise using used gear... when I wrote "Used/Matured" against Wharfe 9.2, I meant that this speaker was already "broken in" after perhaps 100 Hrs of useage, hence had potential to give better performance compared to Fresh spkr (Quad, in this case)

However I remember that even as a Fresh piece this 9.2 had better bass than the fresh Quad mentioned above. BTW I don't intend to derate Quad... just telling you frankly what I heard.

Regds,

@murali,hwr ur craftel FS doin?which ones?specs/impressions?have heard that mark makes some very good stuff for the price.any link to his product portfolio?cheers

Hai Rallynut,

The FS is subjected to burn-in , the present Polyamide tweeter is having slightly less treble with my NORGE, hence asked for a upgrade , Mr.Mark has suggested a Titanium tweeter, hopefully to be replaced by next week, and after that I will post the Performance. Otherwise the bass is good, I hope the imaging will improve with the tweeter replacement.

N.Murali.

Last edited:
Hai Rallynut,

The FS is subjected to burn-in , the present Polyamide tweeter is having slightly less treble with my NORGE, hence asked for a upgrade , Mr.Mark has suggested a Titanium tweeter, hopefully to be replaced by next week, and after that I will post the Performance. Otherwise the bass is good, I hope the imaging will improve with the tweeter replacement.

N.Murali.

am sure it'll make a difference.thanks and enjoy the breakin in!!do keep me posted.cheers.

Sanjiv,

I would recommend the same setup Murali has suggested. if you can stretch your budget then you can go for Cambridge Audio DV99 instead of Pio 610. You will have a very good audio setup.

Hi Sanjiv Vaid,
I recently auditioned following combinations:
Option-1: LG entry level CDP (3k~) + Norge 2060 amp (7K~) + Wharfedale 9.2 "used/matured" spkr (14k~) = 24K

Option-2: Same LG entry level CDP (3k~) + Denon PMA 1500?? (17k~) + Quad 11L "Fresh" spkr (28k~) = 48k

I was surprised to find that, both options sounded equally good (your impression may vary). Wharfe 9.2 was definately better in bass dept. Both spkrs did well in mids and high, though I found the Quad vocals were strained when Neil Diamond's rich baritone vocals hit strong peaks, whereas 9.2 handled them without fuss.

My suggestion to you: More money doesn't ensure more performance. Do audition the option-1 above before auditioning big budget options.

Regds,

are you absolutely sure?!!
Quad beats Wharf 9.2 hands down throughout the frequency spectrum.
I can tell this because I audiotioned both plenty of times with Norge 1000 amp, as well as doing A/B on Denon stereo amp.

Wharf were buzzing when I turned the bass up (keeping the volume high). and vocals were submerged, whereas in Quad, vocals, violins, piano, guitars (essentially midrange instruments) in general stood out.
High end in both was smooth and soft, not harsh.

I agree to the fact that more money does not translate to more quality, however, Quads and Wharfs - no comparison, whether broken in or not!

are you absolutely sure?!!
Quad beats Wharf 9.2 hands down throughout the frequency spectrum.
I can tell this because I auditioned both plenty of times with Norge 1000 amp, as well as doing A/B on Denon stereo amp.

Wharf were buzzing when I turned the bass up (keeping the volume high). and vocals were submerged, whereas in Quad, vocals, violins, piano, guitars (essentially midrange instruments) in general stood out.
High end in both was smooth and soft, not harsh.

I agree to the fact that more money does not translate to more quality, however, Quads and Wharfs - no comparison, whether broken in or not!

Hi Alpha1,
I am sure about the 9.2's Bass impact being better than Quad 11L. My remark regarding "strained" vocals were noticed only in passages where it hit the peaks. So I won't claim the vocals were strained throughout. (my judgment is based on songs "America", "Forever in Blue Jeans" & "Desiree" ...CD of Neil Diamond, played on both speakers at moderate volumes, i.e volume @ 11'0clock in Norge 2060)

Considering your location is also Pune, you can join me with your songs when I go for my next amp-audition sometime next week to Silo Media. I would be happy to change my impression on Quad 11L, if your selection of songs shows that Quad is better.

Regds,

How is the Norge Millenium compared to Wharfedale 9.1 ? They are in the same price range aren't they ? I am saving up for a pair of speakers around 10K

Hi Sanjiv Vaid,
I recently auditioned following combinations:
Option-1: LG entry level CDP (3k~) + Norge 2060 amp (7K~) + Wharfedale 9.2 "used/matured" spkr (14k~) = 24K

Option-2: Same LG entry level CDP (3k~) + Denon PMA 1500?? (17k~) + Quad 11L "Fresh" spkr (28k~) = 48k

I was surprised to find that, both options sounded equally good (your impression may vary). Wharfe 9.2 was definately better in bass dept. Both spkrs did well in mids and high, though I found the Quad vocals were strained when Neil Diamond's rich baritone vocals hit strong peaks, whereas 9.2 handled them without fuss.

My suggestion to you: More money doesn't ensure more performance. Do audition the option-1 above before auditioning big budget options.

Regds,

I second sonsphere. I have setup recently one for under 30K in fact 24K to be precise. Norge 2060 (landed cost Rs. 8,500) + wharfedale 9.2 (Rs. 15,100) + DAC cables (Rs. 450) with a mass market DVD player. I should say im satisfied with the sound quality. BTW, i hear rock, hip-hop, pop, tamil songs. The setup does a clean job of all, although 9.2 still has to fully break-in. It would only get better as 9.2 matures.

I second sonsphere. I have setup recently one for under 30K in fact 24K to be precise. Norge 2060 (landed cost Rs. 8,500) + wharfedale 9.2 (Rs. 15,100) + DAC cables (Rs. 450) with a mass market DVD player. I should say im satisfied with the sound quality. BTW, i hear rock, hip-hop, pop, tamil songs. The setup does a clean job of all, although 9.2 still has to fully break-in. It would only get better as 9.2 matures.

Congrats rams1977!
welcome to 9.2 owners club !!!

DEAR ALL,am looking to buy a combo of bookshelves and amp.my budget is around 20-25k only.basically am into listening Tamil film music of late 70s to 90s particularly ILAYARAJAS.the trouble is the audio available in those times were not of good recording quality.so looking for speakers to match them.expecting good bass from the speakers.also most of my collections are in my HDD IN MY PC.so the speakers and amp should be able to be connected to the PC.I might use /shift the speakers to the living room of SIZE 10 FT BY 15 FT in case of friends dropping over.just trialled the BOSE 301 SERIES .basically for the STEREO EVERYWHERE they promise!.also wld like to know whether they would sound good while watching movies in the living room.have zoomed in in on the following

SPEAKERS;
1.BOSE 301 SERIES
2.WHARFEDALE9.1&9.2
3.POLK RTI A1
4.POLK TSI 100&TSI 200
5.NORGE NEW MILLENIUM
6.MORDAUNT 902
7.ATRIUM 45
AMPS;
NORGE 2060/NORGE1000
Kindly guide me for the above please.hope to hear from u guys soon.rgds.visu

DEAR ALL,am looking to buy a combo of bookshelves and amp.my budget is around 20-25k only.basically am into listening Tamil film music of late 70s to 90s particularly ILAYARAJAS.the trouble is the audio available in those times were not of good recording quality.so looking for speakers to match them.expecting good bass from the speakers.also most of my collections are in my HDD IN MY PC.so the speakers and amp should be able to be connected to the PC.I might use /shift the speakers to the living room of SIZE 10 FT BY 15 FT in case of friends dropping over.just trialled the BOSE 301 SERIES .basically for the STEREO EVERYWHERE they promise!.also wld like to know whether they would sound good while watching movies in the living room.have zoomed in in on the following

SPEAKERS;
1.BOSE 301 SERIES
2.WHARFEDALE9.1&9.2
3.POLK RTI A1
4.POLK TSI 100&TSI 200
5.NORGE NEW MILLENIUM
6.MORDAUNT 902
7.ATRIUM 45
AMPS;
NORGE 2060/NORGE1000
Kindly guide me for the above please.hope to hear from u guys soon.rgds.visu

9.1 is a good choice - add a subwoofer for 19K 6 to 7 months later for a more weighty sound provided you get an amp with a pre-out or sub out. For listening to poor recordingsa budget amp like nad 325 is best. I also got a lot of 70s and 80s Illyaraja recordings and gave them away because my speakers are too unforgiving of poor source. So 9.1 will do just fine for you.

Cheers

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi visva,

Norge 2060/1000+Wharf 9.2 will be an ideal choice. A while back when our member murali came to check his Norge amp with my 9.2s we played a song from Alaigal Oivathillai sung by Ilayaraja.We were very impressed the way the song sounded. raja's voice sounded as if he was in the room.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Hi,
Besides above needs, I also listen to lot of south Indian classical stuff (both good quality CDs and old recordings mostly in MP3 on my HD). I would add a SW may be a few months later. If not Norge what else would be good. How about an all-in-one like CA One? Or Audioengine powered speakers with a good source. I am actually confused as you can possibly see from the question.

Thanks in advance,
Srivats

Hi,
Besides above needs, I also listen to lot of south Indian classical stuff (both good quality CDs and old recordings mostly in MP3 on my HD). I would add a SW may be a few months later. If not Norge what else would be good. How about an all-in-one like CA One? Or Audioengine powered speakers with a good source. I am actually confused as you can possibly see from the question.

Thanks in advance,
Srivats

dear all, is it a simple case of GIGO as far as poor recording quality is concerned.or does speakers work up a magic.waiting for ur comments.rgds.visu

GIGO works for revealing, neutral systems. Non-neutral, coloured systems can sometimes make a record sound better......warm amplifiers and speakers can smoothen out harsh recordings.....speakers with a mid-bass bump can make some poorly recorded rock music sound better, simply because of the extra thump......so ya, there's no single rule....see what works best for you and the recordings that you listen to.

dear all, is it a simple case of GIGO as far as poor recording quality is concerned.or does speakers work up a magic.waiting for ur comments.rgds.visu

Hi visva,

Norge 2060/1000+Wharf 9.2 will be an ideal choice. A while back when our member murali came to check his Norge amp with my 9.2s we played a song from Alaigal Oivathillai sung by Ilayaraja.We were very impressed the way the song sounded. raja's voice sounded as if he was in the room.

cheers,
sri[/QUOdear all, i would like to know from the dear members something about speakers for mono recorded music.as you are all aware most of music as far as Indian music is concerned were recorded in Mono sound till about early eighties.Now we discuss extensively about how good 2.0 channel is for Music. then what about SPEAKERS/AMPLIFIERS for Mono recorded music say the golden oldies of 60s of hindi cinema and Tamil cinema or for that matter 70s inidan film music.i am sure many in this forum are great patrons of these music. now how good is stereo speakers or 2.0 channel stereo speakers for this Mono sound,as many of my collections is in MONO recording.rgds.visu

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back