Stieg Larsson's Dragon Tattoo Trilogy: Extended Editions

just4kix

I happened to purchase the above from Amazon.co.uk. Yesterday afternoon the package was delivered (paid Rs. 651 as duty on package of the above + MIB 1~3 box set + Schwarznagger Collection box set).

The%2BGirl....Extended.jpg

Couldn't wait to start watching. I am posting a small review here:

The bluray quality is exellent and presented in 1:85:1 format. The soundtrack is dual - the primary track is Swedish with English subtitles. The secondary track is dubbed English. Both tracks are in DTS-HD MA 5.1 format. The extended editions are actually TV movies of 2 episodes per movie. The pack contains 3 BDs and 1 DVD of bonus material. The price I paid was 15 (12.08 after VAT refund). I feel that at that price, this was a steal. Recent price check at Amazon.co.uk tells me that the price is hiked to 25.

I deliberately selected the original Swedish movie over the English movie The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo starring Daniel Craig. For one thing, all the three books are not made into movies yet. Secondly, I was apprehensive about the Hollywood adaptations. Hollywood does take liberties with best selling books - Harry Potter being a prime example. Thirdly I felt that the extended edition will do more justice to the book. And boy, I was not disappointed. The movie adaptation follows the book as close as possible leaving out very little detail that concerns the main plot.

I just finished the first part, namely, The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. It is made up of two episodes. Each espisode is around 90 minutes. Bluray.com says that the whole set is 3 Seasons, 6 episodes of a total 558 min.

I am not going to go into the story and spoilers. I am just saying that those who like to buy/collect - this is a must in the collection. If you are fan of the Millenium Series then there is no further question at all. My wife, who has not read the books, and is not a particular fan of such genres, enjoyed the movie as well.

Please note that the UK box set is Region B locked.

I will post pictures later.

Thanks just4kix for the review...

I enjoyed the English movie The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo starring Daniel Craig. Quite a nice thriller !! Now time to watch original Swedish trilogy.

I have set the price tracking on Blu-Ray.com. Let's see when the price drops again.

I bought the DVD set from ebay.com in an auction around three months back. Can't seem to access purchase history more than 60 days on my ebay summary to get price details. Great set of movies. Brilliant performance by Noomi Rapace.

Thanks for the short review on the series.

I too was keeping in mind to purchase this set and when I made up my mind, the price increased.
Like technobhatt even I've set the price tracking on Blu-Ray.com. The day it falls I'll buy it.

If you like these, you must try the serial sets (for TV) mentioned in another thread on Scandinavian Noir (The Killing 1-3, The Bridge, etc.). Could I ask what is the additional material added in these Blu Ray editions. I have the usual releases on DVD so would be interested to know. Thanks.

If you like these, you must try the serial sets (for TV) mentioned in another thread on Scandinavian Noir (The Killing 1-3, The Bridge, etc.). Could I ask what is the additional material added in these Blu Ray editions. I have the usual releases on DVD so would be interested to know. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions. Regarding additional bonus material, I have not checked out yet. There is nothing on the BDs themselves. There is a bonus DVD that contains cast interviews, behind three scene - Roberto vs. Nedderman fight, etc. Well check out and confirm.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I wasn't only referring to the bonus material...I was curious as to whether there were some important scenes added to the actual films themselves. After all 2 extra hours is a LOT of new material, even spread over three films.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I wasn't only referring to the bonus material...I was curious as to whether there were some important scenes added to the actual films themselves. After all 2 extra hours is a LOT of new material, even spread over three films.

Not having ever seen the original releases, I can't really say. But I can add that each episode is detailed and over 90 minutes long.

The third instalment deferred from the book slightly with a change in the plot a little. Thankfully the main plot was unaffected. I don't wish to disclose anything and add a spoiler alert. But this did feel like a small kick in the gut on an otherwise excellent production. The first one was the best of the lot.

Yeah I agree the first was the best but all three are great movies. Noomi Rapace is simply great, in this series and in Prometheus, I am eagerly waiting for her next movie "Dead Man Down" , it released this week in US but doesn't have good feedback :-(

Even the English version of GWDT was good but I really didn't understand the need for making this movie so soon when the original is so popular worldwide. Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara was good but i expected some twist from David Fincher...but it was more of frame to frame remake....

Having seen both the Swedish and English editions, I would say I like both. The Hollywood edition is crisper and the Swedish more languid in its approach. I saw the two after a gap (almost a year) and that helped.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back