Struck Gold; gotTannoy 15" Monitor Reds

captrajesh

Staff member
I had been to Calcutta last weekend and struck Gold. Got a pair of vintage Tannoy 15" Monitor Golds. :yahoo:

Posting pics:

Sent the parcel by Road Transporters as I had an early morning flight and didn't want to take chance with CISF guys who may and can refuse to let me carry these along.

Took delivery yesterday evening. Now for the build.:)

the Best Tannoy drivers from what i know ! Do you have the crossovers too ?

Any ideas on the cabinet ? As you would already know lots of designs but hope you dont have to compromise on size to do justice to this magnificent driver !
My favourite is the RHR build

Congrats Capt.
The Tannoy's MG 15 inchers are a fine pair of speakers. There is just no getting away from them.

Last edited:
Congrats Rajesh. Outstanding find. They look in very good condition. Tannoy cones are special and if you have got the original, nothing like it.

Let us know on your build.

Cheers.

Where did you find them in Kolkata, Rajesh? You did not tell me about them when we met. Any way, congratulations. These are truly special and do not come by every day.

Regards.

Awesome find! Many congratulations.

Make a full-sized cabinet (no scrimping!) to bring out its true capability. Did you get the crossovers also?

Nice find capt. Is it so expensive as shown in the ebay link.
Hope you will do justice to its capabilities with a well designed cabinet.

Thank you guys. Hope to make the cabinets soon.

Mind boggling prices that.

Tannoy cones are special and if you have got the original, nothing like it.
Not only are these original but I'm likely to get some original spare cones from a source. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Where did you find them in Kolkata, Rajesh? You did not tell me about them when we met.
Asitda, I had no inkling that I would lay my hands on them when we met though I knew about someone having them. Remember I was to meet a guy who was to visit me at my Hotel? I've met up with him and during our course of conversation, I expressed my interest in buying them and he had offered to sell them. I couldn't believe my luck! Jumped at the opportunity; I had to get them right then and there. Never mind it was 10 o'clock in the night. Took a taxi straight to his home and got them with me to the Hotel room.

please consult FM CyberVinay for the build.
Thanks for the tip heliumflight. I think Cybervinay's speakers are smaller ones. Also, his cabinets are modeled on the latest 'Kingdom Royal' speakers and not original cabinets.

Make a full-sized cabinet (no scrimping!) to bring out its true capability. Did you get the crossovers also?

Do you have the crossovers too ?

Any ideas on the cabinet ? As you would already know lots of designs but hope you dont have to compromise on size to do justice to this magnificent driver !
My favourite is the RHR build

Exploring various options. Seeking the help of vintage guru Rajiv.:)

Apparently the original crossovers went kaput. I've got remade crossovers.

Here are the replacement crossovers:

I hope you had your quota of Bengali machher jhol, dab chingri, mutton champs and sandesh to celebrate the find!
Had no time for those finer things in life. The price paid in addition to cash is, twisted my ankle. :sad:

Currently nursing the ankle which is encased in plaster and admiring those drivers. That's how I'm celebrating.
Is it so expensive as shown in the ebay link.

Yeah, I'm perplexed and mesmerised at the same time.

Had no time for those finer things in life. The price paid in addition to cash is, twisted my ankle. :sad:

Currently nursing the ankle which is encased in plaster and admiring those drivers. That's how I'm celebrating.

Yeah, I'm perplexed and mesmerized at the same time.
Sorry to hear that, but if the price was a steal just consider this part of the price and will still be worth it ;)

Regarding the Crossovers, would be a worth a discussion with Rajiv on if any of those components need to be changed

Being a full range driver, is a crossover absolutely necessary?
Is it used to roll off LF or HF or both?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back