Struck Gold; gotTannoy 15" Monitor Reds

Rajesh, I have a cold, so best I don't run to your place and spread it around. It'll be better by next week! :eek:hyeah:

I forgot to say: better to have a cold than a twisted ankle. Hope you do not have much pain and recover very soon. No heavy lifting of hifi kit! Maybe it's nature's way of telling you not to sell the Dared! :lol:

An interesting blog on making of Westminster cabinets

Astonishing to see the amount of woodwork inside the boxes. I had no idea. I knew Tannoy made speaker cabinets that looked fantastic, and would not look out of place in the Lord of the Manor's castle, but now I know that the insides can be even more amazing than the outsides!

Last edited:
I got mine a few months back from Cybervinay. He also helped me with the construction of a simple box desgin that he uses himself.

Slightly OT. Most mastering studios in Mumbai used solid state amps with the vintage Tannoys. I personally prefer SS amp to tube amp with Tannoys. With the Lowthers it's reverse.

From my little experience listening to these, I started with Lyrita EL84 and moved onto a hybrid setup - Tube pre & SS power. The listening experience just got better with a Luxman Class A power amp (it has attenuators to control left & right) running it directly from the source.

Hi Reubensm

They sound very good. I have heard the Reds several times. In fact I prefer the Reds to the Golds. I like the slightly forward nature of the Reds. The Golds sound more refined. The Reds a little more raw. Given your preferences you will enjoy the Reds more

yes, i have been looking up the Tannoys and Altecs for some time now, now that the 401 has arrived, that's well on top of the wish list.

Congrats for the great find!!:clapping:

Tannoy reds are alnico magnets. SQ wise these are superior to other models. Except for tannoy golds.

Last edited:
Congratulations Captain on a great find.

BTW Capt. the Tannoy Reds are 15 ohm drivers.

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv, there is an exception to this rule:)

Model # LSU III Lz has two and a half inch voice coils and is rated at 4 ohms. The coils are bigger than the two inch coils in all other vintage Tannoys.

Regards,

Rajesh, I have a cold, so best I don't run to your place and spread it around. It'll be better by next week! :eek:hyeah:
Yes, the weekend may be good. You Srinisundar, Sashi and Mohamednaseer can can come over for a listen.
will wait very patiently for you to have them horned (or boxed) and for your detailed review on how they sound, especially on the high frequency spectrum
Hey Reuben, I'm most likely to end up at Trivandrum on transfer(along with the Drivers) So may be you can see them being built as well.
Another guy who you can chat up Is Jignesh of Absloute Sound, Surat.
He owns a few vintage Tannoy drivers, working on few builds & has restored a few diff designs & Models.
Let me know if you need his contact details, just in case you might not have it.
Thank you very much for the heads up. I gladly take up your offer and truly appreciate if you could ping me his contact details.
I forgot to say: better to have a cold than a twisted ankle. Hope you do not have much pain and recover very soon. No heavy lifting of hifi kit! Maybe it's nature's way of telling you not to sell the Dared!
Yes, that's precisely the reason to withdraw the sale.

An update:
The ever helpful Rajiv came over with the special connector with which to connect the drivers to the crossovers and the amplifier along with Rajagopal_j.

The drivers were placed on the floor and we hooked them up. They were apparently kept aside for more than a decade and half. The tweeters sounded shrill initially and the bass was subdued. After playing for about half an hour, they started to open up. After an hour or so, they already started to sound wonderful. They can only get better when fixed into the cabinets.

Another guy who you can chat up Is Jignesh of Absloute Sound, Surat

What a coincidence! I found this Australian forum while browsing for cabinet designs for the Tannoys and found him there!

that's outstanding news capt, that would be a terrific experience!!

Should be there in a couple of weeks. Looking forward. :)

I intend to use my existing SET amp, Dared VP845.

Good decision Captn. have you finalised the design on Rectangular GRF ?
ri89ht.jpg

I've more or less decided on building the Rectangular GRF. The corners are too big to handle at the moment. If and when I find enough space, I'd love to make the 'Autograph' cabinets.

it is a very practical choice. the Autographs are Huge and if you are thinking that then the Westminister is also a good option

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back