Struck Gold; gotTannoy 15" Monitor Reds

Congrats captain for the find.
These speakers are 16 Ohms so it will better suit a tube amplifier.
Anything above 20Watts would be required to push the large mass these have.

On my 15" MG's I used a SS Quad 520 and modified Quad 405MKII and these sound wonderful. You may not want to hear any other smaller speaker once you get used to the sound of these vintage Tannoys.

Good luck with the built.

--Vinay

it is a very practical choice. the Autographs are Huge and if you are thinking that then the Westminister is also a good option
Yeah I love the looks of Westminsters but Rajiv says that they are too complicated to make.

On my 15" MG's I used a SS Quad 520 and modified Quad 405MKII and these sound wonderful.
Oh I read your build thread and thought they are 12" drivers. They look nice. You've modelled them to resemble their latest flagship Kingdom Royal speakers. What about the internal volume?

Westminsters are acoustic labyrinth type enclosure. It has various sections forming partitions. Its not difficult to make unless you have skilled carpenter at your disposal.

It can be done, if you want it that way.

Thanks Kanwar
I believe this is what you are talking about
9%20Westminster%20Royal%20Cutaway%20Drawing.jpg

This is a true end state Speaker after which it is an amplifier which will be a bottleneck. It is a true Full range and not a difficult load.
The Autograph I believe is not truly full range..the RHR might be a better build than that i believe.
I could be wrong but in my defense ( ;) )Dont know too much on the Autograph . will read up on it.

Thanks Kanwar
I believe this is what you are talking about
This is a true end state Speaker after which it is an amplifier which will be a bottleneck. It is a true Full range and not a difficult load.
The Autograph I believe is not truly full range..the RHR might be a better build than that i believe.
I could be wrong but in my defense ( ;) )Dont know too much on the Autograph . will read up on it.

Yup and even this one is also doable....

pic3029.jpg

tannoy

Interfaced with active amplification............. :D

Last edited:
Capt., why don't you let Kanwar do this for you? His carpenter is awesome and Kanwar does everything very professionally; has the measuring equipment etc... If he makes 'em for you, the guesswork is out of the equation! The speakers will truly become your "forever" speakers!

I have surrendered my Altec's to him!

Last edited:
Congrats Capt
First Altecs and now Tannoys.Well , seeing so many experienced audiophiles gravitating towards these big drivers , they must surely be offering something which our modern smaller drivers are not able to provide.
Watching the builds keenly and would love to hear should such an opportunity arise.
Cheers

A little off-topic

they must surely be offering something which our modern smaller drivers are not able to provide.
Cheers

Bigger cones have distinctive charm with LF. With modern days pro-audio drivers, coaxial units are still available and are used in many places where coherency is main objective.

Beyma Coaxials featuring Neodymium magnets and compression driver HF embedded in motor structure just like Altec and Tannoy drivers. Added bonus is Perfect Time-Alignment.

beyma-15xa38nd-650012.jpg

horny7bv.jpg

2011_1.jpg

Last edited:
These speakers are 16 Ohms so it will better suit a tube amplifier.Anything above 20Watts would be required to push the large mass these have.
Vinay

Curious to know why would the amplifier be a bottleneck?

Even i am also curious:p

Capt., why don't you let Kanwar do this for you? His carpenter is awesome and Kanwar does everything very professionally; has the measuring equipment etc... If he makes 'em for you, the guesswork is out of the equation! The speakers will truly become your "forever" speakers!

Hi Malvai, thank you for the suggestion I've interacted with Kanwar on the subject.

Actually, my problem right now is, I don't have sufficient real estate to place those huge Westminster cabinets. Not to talk of the kind of budget to make that complex and elaborate cabinet.

So as a compromise, I'm planning to make the Rectangular GRF cabinet for now and would make use of local resources available at Trivandrum.

@Captain Internal volume on my current MG 15" is 228L

You need to be careful with damping inside the horn. It may become too boomey if you do not use the correct damping material.

I have tried various things and Glasswool 1" thick stapled closely and use of sand box inside has helped me tweak the bass to my liking.

I will post one photo in my next post.

--Vinay

You need to be careful with damping inside the horn. It may become too boomey if you do not use the correct damping material.

I have tried various things and Glass wool 1" thick stapled closely and use of sand box inside has helped me tweak the bass to my liking.

I will post one photo in my next post.

Thank you for the tip Vinay; have you used felt? How did it fare? What is this sand box and where have you placed it?

Picture would be a great help in understanding these things.

Curious to know why would the amplifier be a bottleneck?

Even i am also curious:p

The Westminister design is a really evolved and intricate design acoustically and hence complicated. Once you get to that level of speaker in terms of its sonic properties, in order to get any other improvement the most reasonable would be to get a better amplifier and hence the amplifier would be the bottleneck .It does not , of course, mean that one would not be happy with the current amplifier or spend money to upgrade, just that the speaker itself would be at a very different level.

From what i am reading, typically these speakers are used with higher powered(or high current) SS amps/Tubes/mono blocks to eke out its best benefits although there are enough people who do prefer it with SETs as well.

If i could save up to it and afford it, an ASR Emitter would be the Amp i would like to own some day

Hi,

Arj, Jignesh in Surat uses ASR amplification with is Westministers.

Regards
Rajiv

The Westminister design is a really evolved and intricate design acoustically and hence complicated. Once you get to that level of speaker in terms of its sonic properties, in order to get any other improvement the most reasonable would be to get a better amplifier and hence the amplifier would be the bottleneck .It does not , of course, mean that one would not be happy with the current amplifier or spend money to upgrade, just that the speaker itself would be at a very different level.

From what i am reading, typically these speakers are used with higher powered(or high current) SS amps/Tubes/mono blocks to eke out its best benefits although there are enough people who do prefer it with SETs as well.

If i could save up to it and afford it, an ASR Emitter would be the Amp i would like to own some day

There might be 1 coming up for sale in the near future, will keep you posted.

Having been fortunate to hear the Westminster many times ,IMHO most Tannoy needs a very powerful amp, regardless of the sensitivity. It seems to me that tube have some magic with them, but a better amp is better amp. If Tannoy has an Alnico magnet & it's a good quality SET it's mesmerizing to say the least.The buzzword i believe is to have control over the drivers.

What's coming up for sale! The Westminster or the ASR Emitter 1 Or 2?
All the best
Cheers

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back