Struck Gold; gotTannoy 15" Monitor Reds

Congrats Captain,
Who can forget you single handedly managing speaker kit group buy for our forum members. Good things come to good people. Very Happy for you. :)
Best Regards.

Thank you guys.

Now only the crossovers pending.

To begin with, I intend to use the crossovers that came with the drivers.

One FM is helping me with the air core inductors for making original crossovers. Since it is not his business but only a hobby, he didn't want to be named so I'm not revealing his name.:sad:

One of our FMs has offered an active crossover for Tannoys but I would require two stereo amps with similar characteristics to hook up the Tannoys.

I intend to make the original crossover first and experiment with alternatives later.

I wanted to test the drivers and the ever helpful Rajiv came over a while ago with the wires from crossovers to the drivers via special connectors. Too bad we couldn't test the drivers in the cabinets because the wire from the connectors was not long enough. I need to source the connectors too in addition to the original crossovers.

Posting a picture of the connector.

Tannoy-GRF_ConnectorCU-S_zps56dc59f0.jpg

Posting a picture of the connector.

Tannoy-GRF_ConnectorCU-S_zps56dc59f0.jpg

'Hi' to everybody. This is my first post here.

Congratulations 'captrajesh' for the nice aquisition.

Actually this connector has nothing to do with Tannoy in a proprietary sense. These were just standard connectors of the valve era, and they were used mostly in the modular-designed pro-products of those days' like RTR decks, pre-amps, power-amps, mixers etc. to feed power/signal and the like. I have seen them in old AKAI & Ferrograph valve-RTR decks. So the best bet to find one will be something in that line's junkyard.

In the mean time till a connector is acquired, one can just solder 4 wires to the backside of the available socket counterpart, and terminate them to a suitable modern connector.

And yes, pls do not discard the old xovers, I mean the original ones. They can be repaired. Also these speakers will sound better with valve amps. This has been already mentioned earlier by Rajiv, but there was some disagreement there from other members. It is true that one can always experiment, but the fact also is that these are of 0.2 Qts value, and will definitely benefit from a bit of more current loading, particularly when housed in big enclosures, as is the case here.

The T/S thing happened in 1971, by which time these drivers were already in tremendous use. So these guys knew the inter-reactions well. May be they did not question the fall-of-the-apple, but they were already making good wines from them and enjoying also.:lol:

So you also enjoy.:)

Aditya

Actually this connector has nothing to do with Tannoy in a proprietary sense. These were just standard connectors of the valve era, and they were used mostly in the modular-designed pro-products of those days' like RTR decks, pre-amps, power-amps, mixers etc. to feed power/signal and the like. I have seen them in old AKAI & Ferrograph valve-RTR decks. So the best bet to find one will be something in that line's junkyard.

In the mean time till a connector is acquired, one can just solder 4 wires to the backside of the available socket counterpart, and terminate them to a suitable modern connector.

And yes, pls do not discard the old xovers, I mean the original ones. They can be repaired.

Hey Aditya, thank you for the information. The fact you mentioned that the connector is commonly used in old equipment is news to me. I went all around the electronic market here but couldn't find any. Based on information of Rajiv that this was also used as headlight connector in old Herald car, I went around a few automobile shops that stock vintage car parts but could find it even there. Anyways, I'm getting them shortly.

As for crossovers, I do not have the original ones so no worries there.

The T/S thing happened in 1971, by which time these drivers were already in tremendous use. So these guys knew the inter-reactions well. May be they did not question the fall-of-the-apple, but they were already making good wines from them and enjoying also.

I didn't get this bit. Could you elaborate?

He is referring to the fact that even before Thiele and Small came
up with their parameters, these vintage driver classics were sounding good,
and they obviously understood the science behind it.

Hi,

The T/S thing happened in 1971, by which time these drivers were already in tremendous use. So these guys knew the inter-reactions well. May be they did not question the fall-of-the-apple, but they were already making good wines from them and enjoying also.

He is referring to the fact that even before Thiele and Small came
up with their parameters, these vintage driver classics were sounding good,
and they obviously understood the science behind it.

I had posted this before.

Tannoy Monitor Gold Crossover: Frequency Response

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks for the 'thanks' folks.

@captrajesh

I never realised the xovers to be missing. I thought they were just damaged, and hence the substitutes. The substitutes that you have....are they exact replicas ? Otherwise it will take quite some time to brew the closest.

Yes, as already replied by 'quad' & 'rajiv', I was indeed talking about the onslaught of the T/S parameters and the subsequent effects. I think the most benefited were the DIY-ers, compared to the pro houses who had the leverage to afford for data retrieval.

Also, as the drivers were lying un-used for quite sometime, don't hurry up the tunning process. It will vary a lot till the drivers are settled up, and it will be quite a while by the time they are.

Are you going for measurements of the drivers ?

Aditya

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back