Struck Gold; gotTannoy 15" Monitor Reds

Re: A little off-topic

Bigger cones have distinctive charm with LF. With modern days pro-audio drivers, coaxial units are still available and are used in many places where coherency is main objective.

Beyma Coaxials featuring Neodymium magnets and compression driver HF embedded in motor structure just like Altec and Tannoy drivers. Added bonus is Perfect Time-Alignment.

beyma-15xa38nd-650012.jpg

horny7bv.jpg

2011_1.jpg

Interesting! I thought no one really bothered too much about large cone coaxial drivers other than Tannoy and KEF kinda oldies.

The problem with large cone coaxial drivers is their inability to cope with fast paced music. If there are any large cone coaxial drivers that can cope with fast transients as well as smaller drivers do, I'd like to build a system around them someday.

Contrary to popular notion, even I feel a solid state amp with a medium damping factor should be used with these large cone driver. Large cones are heavier with higher momentum and hence need greater current to be controlled properly. If not they will add their own signature to the sound as well as will be slow.

Interesting! I thought no one really bothered too much about large cone coaxial drivers other than Tannoy and KEF kinda oldies.

The problem with large cone coaxial drivers is their inability to cope with fast paced music. If there are any large cone coaxial drivers that can cope with fast transients as well as smaller drivers do, I'd like to build a system around them someday.

Contrary to popular notion, even I feel a solid state amp with a medium damping factor should be used with these large cone driver. Large cones are heavier with higher momentum and hence need greater current to be controlled properly. If not they will add their own signature to the sound as well as will be slow.

HI Ranjeet,

IMHO, Home audiophiles have less exposure regarding the pro-audio drivers and their availability. The driver mentioned above in picture is THIS

If you google, Beyma Co-axials have huge fan following among European people and lot of them have interesting DIY projects.

Yes the moving mass is higher than the moving mass found in smaller cones. But one must also notice that the BL product of motor structure is much higher in the large cone pro-driver coaxials giving higher efficiency and control.
And having a neodymium magnet makes it high in performance. Though much not of use in home audio.

If you have good damping factor available at your amplifier's output, then these large cone co-axials are the way to go because they are perfectly time aligned , better in phase. Provided they are actively interfaced using active XO, thier performance would be remarkable. Also the bass feel is very distinctive with large cones and no doubt my favourites.:D

Kanwar

Last edited:

HI Ranjeet,

IMHO, Home audiophiles have less exposure regarding the pro-audio drivers and their availability. The driver mentioned above in picture is THIS

If you google, Beyma Co-axials have huge fan following among European people and lot of them have interesting DIY projects.

Yes the moving mass is higher than the moving mass found in smaller cones. But one must also notice that the BL product of motor structure is much higher in the large cone pro-driver coaxials giving higher efficiency and control.
And having a neodymium magnet makes it high in performance. Though much not of use in home audio.

If you have good damping factor available at your amplifier's output, then these large cone co-axials are the way to go because they are perfectly time aligned , better in phase. Provided they are actively interfaced using active XO, thier performance would be remarkable. Also the bass feel is very distinctive with large cones and no doubt my favourites.:D

Kanwar

Hi Kanwar,

I didn't know about Beyma. Interesting to know about it. I'll read up. Thanks for sharing :)

Large cone speakers do have an entirely different sound. Remarkable ease they play with. They sound different.

I am now leaning towards building a DIY 3-way small driver line array. But I am not very knowledgeable in those areas. I will pm you when I have more details. Your knowledge will be extremely helpful.

THREAD SUBSCRIBED!!!:licklips:

Congrats Captain Ji... Wish when these beauties start singing you still be here in Chennai.

PS: Hope you still have some soft corner for GR kits.

Wish when these beauties start singing you still be here in Chennai.

PS: Hope you still have some soft corner for GR kits.

Unfortunately not. I'll be moving out to Trivandrum and start my build there.

Yes I would be making the GR 5.1 kit for my family folks. Somehow it is getting struck up somewhere or other.

Hi Kanwar,

I am now leaning towards building a DIY 3-way small driver line array. But I am not very knowledgeable in those areas. I will pm you when I have more details. Your knowledge will be extremely helpful.

Hi Ranjeet,

Would love to help if i can in anyway. :)

Cheers,
Kanwar

Our forum member Rajiv has Tannoy Monitor Gold 15" DC speakers and has made active crossovers which he brought over. The idea was to see how my Monitor Reds would play with those.

Another FM Thad brought his McCormack passive preamp for the experiment.

We connected the CDP to the preamp whose output was given to the active crossover. The LF was connected to Class D power amp and the HF was connected to the tube integrated.

Since the speakers were not in the box but placed on the ground bass response was rather subdued. However the crossover flattened the shrillness that the passive crossovers imparted. Posting pics of the active crossover.

y7u9a4em.jpg

6u4uqazy.jpg

se9u4y2a.jpg

Last edited:
Since the speakers were not in the box but placed on the ground bass response was rather subdued. However the crossover flattened the shrillness that the passive crossovers imparted. Posting pics of the active crossover.

I'm reasonably sure (admitted audio memory restrictions) that this Sunday's active listen was better than last Sunday's passive listen, but...

Perhaps we should not have bi-amped.

1. because of the changing-more-than-one-thing convention

2. because we were balancing the hi/low by controlling the levels of the respective amplifiers.

So, it was an interesting session of both hardware setup and music enjoyment, but perhaps not a definitive comparison of passive v active crossovers.

What was the crossover frequency and slope?
Crossover frequency is 1000 Hz which is as per the original design. Not sure of the slope. May be Rajiv would answer that better.
I'm reasonably sure (admitted audio memory restrictions) that this Sunday's active listen was better than last Sunday's passive listen, but...

Perhaps we should not have bi-amped.

1. because of the changing-more-than-one-thing convention

2. because we were balancing the hi/low by controlling the levels of the respective amplifiers.

So, it was an interesting session of both hardware setup and music enjoyment, but perhaps not a definitive comparison of passive v active crossovers.

We did play through passive crossover after playing through the active xover, both with the McCormack-Class D combo and lastly the Tube amp before switching over to the Aristas if you remember.

Since the active crossover splits the signal into HF and LF, we would compulsorily require two stereo amps or a four channel amplifier. Yes I agree that both the amps should be power amps and of similar make and model.

We did play through passive crossover after playing through the active xover, both with the McCormack-Class D combo and lastly the Tube amp before switching over to the Aristas if you remember.

Oh, right. Well, I vaguely remember.

Never mind audio memory, my ordinary memory is not so good! :eek:

Hi,

What was the crossover frequency and slope?

You can find details about the crossover here.

tannoy

A few years ago a few of us from the Tannoy Yahoo Groups undertook to build this crossover. It was a truly global effort with the boards being made in England,parts sourced from Australia,New Zealand etc. Top quality parts were used .

The crossover works well but I have moved on to big Altec compression drivers and horns so it does not see much use neither do the Tannoy Golds.:eek:

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Struck Gold again. Got ready made Tannoy Rectangular GRF cabinets, which is what I intended to build, courtesy forum members, Santhosh & Rajiv. Someone had Tannoy Monitor Gold drivers in these cabinets and Santhosh & Rajiv did a great favour for me by tipping me about it. Santhosh spoke to him and requested this gent to pass on just the cabinets to me. Taking it up from there and after discussing with him, I was to visit Bangalore to audition how they sound. But fate (Luck) had something else in store from me. Another forum member Balagopalan had his sent his truck to Bangalore and was visiting this very gentleman and Rajiv not only tipped me off about it but also convinced me to get the cabinets across in the very same truck.

And today, I have the nicely made cabinets with me. :D

I'm posting some pics forwarded to me by this gentleman so the drivers are not mine but the cabinets, now are.:yahoo:

R-GRF5_zpsf71d6539.jpg

R-GRF2_zps73bcf78c.jpg

R-GRF3_zpsea350b16.jpg

R-GRF1_zps70eb86d6.jpg

Dimensions are humungous. 40" tall, 24" wide and 18" deep.:eek:hyeah:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back