Studio Monitor Vs Hi-Fi Speaker

@ OP Recording may also be one of the problems or may be you won't like or are used to listening to a revealing or a neutral speaker.
Placement could aslo be part of the problem or you could also try diff cables.
Cheers.

from some reviews the s520 is supposedly a speaker on the brighter side when compared to the popular warfedales

snkumar probably likes the laid back variety
i wouldnt describe them as neutral , so they definetely arent laid back.

arent the Tannoy reveal's -studio monitors?
most of the monitors i know of tend to be on the brighter side (when compared to regular bookshelf speakers)
except the Epos(well if the ELS 3 is called a monitor)

I am using studio passive monitors K&H P110 . They are small monitors but they give such sound ,when driven with quality amps like Quad 909 ,as I could not get from Dyns, Quads,monitor audio gs10 etc. They are extremely natural to listen with ample details . I have listened to Home Audio Brands up to 80k.But I liked K&H better.The frequency response is quite flat . Manufacturer has given a correct and true frequency range measurement from 72 hzs to 22khz (+/- 3db) for these speakers
believe me I do not miss the bass also.
I came to know about these speakers while trying studio monitors and when I heard them I just loved the effortless detailed natural and quite uncolored sound of singers and instruments.
I have enjoyed other active monitors like Adam A7 , Dyn bm5a.

I can only say that these studio monitors with in their price range often offer great values and are good for home audio as well.

I can only say that these studio monitors with in their price range often offer great values and are good for home audio as well.

hi binoymehra,

good to hear about these studio monitors.

when you use these at your home, where are you seated in relation to these studio monitors?

Are you less than three feet from the studio monitors or are you more than 8 feet from them when you listen to music?

most home use of speakers involves listening to music while seated at a desk and working at the computer, so would like to know how (your position in relation to the speakers) you listen to your music with these studio monitors.

regards

Me too taken a plunge - sold My Solid ( Second Brand of B&W) MiniBookshelfs and passive Sub woofer and bought JBL Pro iii - mini monitors and JBL Active Sub

I used JBL Control 1 and liked it's sound ,these speakers are same sized one

will post my impressions

hey kumar,

i'd agree that the S520 is a shade on the brighter side of neutral, but paired with my NAD C320BEE amp and placed in a room with a decent amount of deadening, including a king size mattress on the floor (and several pillows), and reasonably thick curtains on the rear wall, they sound absolutely perfect. I've listened to them for hours and if anything I would classify the overall sound as a touch too smooth, I could do with a tiny bit more sparkle. And yes I have them toed in.

But I've also listened to the Ushers on the setup you refer to at ARN, and never found it bright. I listened extensively (though admittedly not to any Beatles or Lata) and I found it quite fatigue free. The Lata recording being shrill I am fairly certain is a function of the recording, check out how it sounds on other revealing speakers and maybe you will get an idea.

About the Beatles I really can't say. I haven't heard Drive My Car in a long time. If I can get my hands on it on CD, I'll listen to it on my setup and tell you.

Not sure if i should continue this thread, nevertheless...

I listened to the Ushers s520 for around an hour and a half at Arn Systems., with NAD ampl and Usher CDP.

The positives:
The clarity was realy excellent, probably the best i heard amongst the the other budget speakers i heard so far (Wharf 9.1,9.2/Tannoy FS/Maudaunt Short 9.2i). The clarity was probably as good as the Tannoy Reveal.
The bass was also nice and precise. Indian classical (Mansur) also sounded really good.

The doubts and issues:
This is where i need some help and answers:
1) I listen to a lot of Beatles. I listened to "Drive My Car" on the Ushers. Clarity was great but towards the end of the song i could feel my ears were slightly hurting. I also felt the same for some Clapton songs. The speakers somehow sound bright on the treble. The studio expert (Mr Sridhar) suggested reducing the treble in the NAD ampl and on doing so i felt the speakers were more listenable. Probably Beatles songs are a bit treble heavy. But i would like to other opinions ?

2) I next heard some old songs of Lata Mangeshkar. Specifically "Aja Re Pardesi" from Madhumati. Every time Lata's voice would hit a high note, the sound was really "SHRILL", again rather ear-hurting!! Sridhar attributed this to the "mono" nature of the original recording (Vs modern stereo recordings). Since i did not listen to Lata while demoing other speakers i cannot have a reference. Maybe the volume was a bit loud... not sure.. ...Nevertheless i really would want some feedback about this :Is this really true that high notes of mono recordings do NOT sound good on stereo speakers ?

To summarize my thoughts were: The Ushers speakers are really great in clarity, the bass is also nice, I liked them a lot. But i am not sure how "listenable" they are for long hours...

I would be great to know the feedback of Psychotropic on these points, since he choose these speakers.

Hi All,

Magma and Psychotropic, thanks for your responses.

I finally got done a home demo of PSB Alpha, PSB Image 15 and the PSB Image 25. The demo was done with NAD 355 amp and a NAD 315 source.

The Lakozy representative said that he needs the NAD 355 amp since the NAD 325 (which i preferred) will not be enough for both the I15 and the I25.

First thing, the doubt about the shrill sounding Lata song (mono recording ) "Aja Re Pardesi" on the Ushers. I found the same problem even on the PSBs. So Odessey (Mr Sridhar) was probably correct in suggesting that the shrill sound was a nature of the recording itself and NOT a problem in the Ushers.

I'm a novice as far as sound engineering is concerned. So i would suggest that other readers (looking to buy budget speakers) should not take my impressions seriously but rather try it out themselves.

The main reason i am posting my thoughts/impressions is to seek clarifications and advice from the experts available in this forum. Also i feel it is always good to interact with folks (like Magma and Psychotropic) who happen to be current users of speakers i intend to audition. They can point out where i could be wrong in my impressions and also re-inforce other thoughts.

Here are my impressions of the PSBs.

PSB Alphas (Rs.14K):
I wasn't impressed with the PSB Alphas. Clarity was not that great and somehow weren't fun listening to.

PSB Image 15 (Rs.20,900):
These are far, far better than the Alphas.
I liked these speaker a lot. The clarity is great and the best part is that they are immensely listenable! Thanks to a lot of patience from the Lokozy representative, i listened to entire songs of Hotel Calf, Take it Easy (Eagles), Drive MY Car, Norwegian Wood (Beatles), I am Yours , Keep on Growing(Clapton) etc.. Also listened to some carnatic (MS), Lata songs (this time stereo recordings!) Tere Bina Jiya Jaye Na, Asha songs from Ijazat etc...

At no point did i feel my ears hurting. I must say it was great fun!

Probably the clarity and the bass-perciseness is just short of the Ushers but the I15s are really smooth and listenable.

I did feel that while listening to Beatles and especially in the Lata song (Tere Bina Jiya ..) that these speakers probably allow the vocals to dominate the music a bit. I felt the vocals slightly louder than normal, but still i wasn't complaining.

PSB I25. (Rs 26K)
More or less repeated all the songs again.
These speakers retain all the positives i mentioned about the I15s.
The clarity is better. The bass is also better.
Lastly the issue of vocals sounding louder is not there in the PSB I25.

I am almost convinced that PSB I25 are the speakers i like, bcos i heard them at home and was immensely satisfied with the sound. So I can throw away doubts about how these might sound at home (vs studio) etc.

Probably other speakers (Ushers/Wharf/Tannoy) are also good but i would like to give importance to my home demo impression rather than what i heard in a professional studio.

The problem with PSB I25 is that it needs an amp like NAD-355. These amps cost Rs 40k. :-(. If i go for this combo, I will probably have to postone buyng the CDP for now.

Moreover, What-hi-fi magazine seem to says that the NAD-355 amp is Not good or atleast not good VFM.

Can anyone suggest other amps i can consider for the PSB I25 ? Should i try things like Rotel- RA4 (Rs 30 K) or Marantz or CA ? I am basically looking for an amp in the same price range, that can drive the PSB I25 and also is good VFM. Moreover how do i try these combos out ?

Or should i just trust my ears and go ahead with NAD 355 amp ?

Another option could be to go instead for the PSB I15 and NAD-325 (25k)combination. I think Magma has this combo. OFcourse this would involve trying out this combo.

I am confused, so any inputs would be a great help.

Snkumar,

I think a home audition would always be better than one done in the show room. The day before i had been to Lakozy in Mumbai too but unfortunately they dod not have the PSB Image 25. Fresh stocks are to arrive in about 4 weeks only :mad:

I am looking at the PSB I25 for my Harman Kardon AVR 255 too ( 70W RMS, 8 ohm, 2 channels )

Have you considered Norge for your amplifier needs ? ( Norge Audio )

do keep us posted on your final choice..

mpw

Hemant waghe,

Do you use JBL Control One's as fronts ?

I use them as fronts and rears. Center is JBL Control Now. AVR 255. I find the need for better output / punch from the Control One's . So planning to change only the fronts ( to keep budget minimum ).

JBL in India does not have good wall mountable speakers. They offer the Infinity P150 for about 18K in MUmbai. Thats a discontinued model and there is no need to spend that much according to me.

Any suggections for the front speaker ( whilst retaining the JBL Control NOW as centers ) or do i move over to PSB's or Wharfedales ( 6 ohm ) ( fronts and centers ) ?

mpw

Me too taken a plunge - sold My Solid ( Second Brand of B&W) MiniBookshelfs and passive Sub woofer and bought JBL Pro iii - mini monitors and JBL Active Sub

I used JBL Control 1 and liked it's sound ,these speakers are same sized one

will post my impressions

snkumar

hmmm. you ae bang on correct with the PSB demo.
i think i would agree with your entire post above.

i bought the I15 for exactly the reason you say!
the vocals dominate. i like it that way.furthermore this speaker is very listenable.and has good measure of liveliness too.
note:the I 15 will easily be driven by the NAD 325

you are also correct about the B25s
both dinyaar and me felt this speaker was not driven well by the nad amp.
we didnt find it lively enough.
the speaker we felt did need a maybe a more lively amp
i would strongl recommend a marantz PM 7001 for this speaker.
A rotel/arcam would also be better if you can afford those

Last edited:
mpw,

Which norge amp is good for the PSB IB25 ? The 2060 or the Concerto Gold 1000 ?

here is the tech spec of PSB IB 25: PSB Speakers - Image B25 Monitor.

I generally heard good things about Norge Concerto Gold 1000 amp. Its output is about 125 RMS. Is this too much for the PSB IB 25 whose inout power is recommended at 10- 100 watts ?

magma,
I shall also consider marantz 7001. Net searches seem to reveal that the 7001 KI is even better, at not much higher cost.

Need to figure out how to audition these combinations. To do the home demo i transported the PSB speaker sets (alpha/B15/B25) + amp + source, in my car, from the dealer (Lakozy) to home and dropped them back. Not sure if the dealer will agree for another round. :-(. Sadly the dealer does not have a demo room of his own.

i dont think the norge concerto gold is a 125 rms ( continuos amp)
its probably much less than that.may be even half
(125rms is probably the max rms)

i dont know how both would pair
if you didnt like the NAD 355 and B25 pairing and thought the B 25 was begging for more juice i wouldnt recommend any norge amp

however if you dont think the above the norge concerto gold would do

However ideally i would advice the marantz 7001 or higher .
i think i would go with that even without an audition

I've heard the Marantz 7001 with the B25. Dont think they pair well (both bass and treble seemed a wee bit exaggerated). Much preferred the smaller sibling (B15) with that particular amp. This reflects my preferences and yours may vary. However, do listen to the combo before buying.

Magma,

One correction from my side.

Its not that i did not like the NAD-355 and the PSB-IB25 combination.

Well... its the only configuration i have heard the IB25s in. I am probably ok with the combination.

What bothered me is the not so good reviews that NAD-355 generally has. What-hifi etc, even in this forum in various threads. I felt if i spend 40K on an amp then it better be good. Most reviews seem to suggest that NAD-355 is poor VFM.

This is what prompted me to ask about other amps for IB25s.

Good to know that you have a great confidence in the Marantz 7001.

again, thanks for all your inputs.

if you're spending 40k and laidback is what you want, isn't there an Arcam option for around 50K? i am not sure of the model number, but i seem to recall someone talking about it

EDIT - Yeah it's the Arcam FMJ A18, isn't that around 50k?

Magma,

One correction from my side.

Its not that i did not like the NAD-355 and the PSB-IB25 combination.

Well... its the only configuration i have heard the IB25s in. I am probably ok with the combination.

What bothered me is the not so good reviews that NAD-355 generally has. What-hifi etc, even in this forum in various threads. I felt if i spend 40K on an amp then it better be good. Most reviews seem to suggest that NAD-355 is poor VFM.

This is what prompted me to ask about other amps for IB25s.

Good to know that you have a great confidence in the Marantz 7001.

again, thanks for all your inputs.

Last edited:
snkumar,

Hey - i do not own Norge as yet. I suggested Norge as the amp is in the 10k range, Norge has some very good reviews and my own interaction with Mr Bajaj on phone has been very good.

I wish you luck with your auditions and decision !!

Maybe you may like to talk to Mr Bajaj on phone and ask him is 125W is at 8 ohm speaker load.

mpw

Hemant waghe,

Do you use JBL Control One's as fronts ?

I use them as fronts and rears. Center is JBL Control Now. AVR 255. I find the need for better output / punch from the Control One's . So planning to change only the fronts ( to keep budget minimum ).

JBL in India does not have good wall mountable speakers. They offer the Infinity P150 for about 18K in MUmbai. Thats a discontinued model and there is no need to spend that much according to me.

Any suggections for the front speaker ( whilst retaining the JBL Control NOW as centers ) or do i move over to PSB's or Wharfedales ( 6 ohm ) ( fronts and centers ) ?

mpw

Hi
I used JBL control 1 as Fronts now ue a small 5,1 spk set.
I sold them now I have acquired JBL PRO 3 and JBL 8" active sub for 2 channellistening

Fankly not yet connected as I am stuck in other things... I bought them USED

Now which sub u r using ,. Frankly I am not at all expert in speakers matching . But I feel first add SUB and then change fronts ,,, in fact you can get good JBL bookshelfs used which you can use as fronts

Also is control now a good center speker? Cause a lot of dialougues are localised to center spk .If you need JBL center used lemme know ---I can see if I can arrange one..

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back