Subwoofer Suggestion for my Setup!!

edjamesx

Hi All,
I am looking for good sub with deep BASS , My main usage is movies.
My room Size : 16*10
My budget is 80k , can extend max 1.2L if i can get real additional value for the extra amount spent :).

Recently i have auditioned XTZ 1217 Edge (700 watts) RMS , and SVS PB2000 (550 watts RMS).
I felt they are super powerful , and it is shaking room like major earth quake. But how ever i did not feel the real deep bass.
They seems to produce like more mid BASS , not like real deep LFE bass.
The dealer has placed the subs in middle of room , not sure this is the reason for not getting real deep bass. Hearing these subs supposed to be great as per reviews.

I have also gone through Kilpsch R115 SUB woofer through youtube link below , and this seems to be great and produce great low end.
But, this is 15" subwoofer , would it be overkill to my room size?. Let me know if anybody knows where i can audition this sub in bangalore.
Also would it blend correctly with my current speakers?.

My current setup
Denon 3600H AVR
Emotiva Gen-3 3 Channel power Amp. (275 watts RMS) - Powering my Front LCR speakers
Sonodyne Sonus 3165 Towers as Mains (150 watts RMS)
Sonodyne Center Speaker (150 watts RMS)
Sonodyne 10 " Sub (150 watts RMS) <---- Sub become very weak after i introduced the Emotiva power AMP. Speakers sounding great . I am looking to upgrade my sub here. Also i have plan of upgrading the LCR speakers down the line. May be after 2-3 years.

I also heard that we need to match the sub power to the max power output of speakers?. like 150*3 (450 watts RMS > Sub ?).
Or my Power Amp output here :) ( 275 *3 ?) , more than 900 watts RMS Sub ?.

Please suggest. Thank in advance.

Last edited:
Hi All,
My budget is 80k , can extend max 1.2L if i can get real additional value for the extra amount spent :).

Recently i have auditioned XTZ 1217 Edge (700 watts) RMS , and SVS PB2000 (550 watts RMS).
I felt they are super powerful , and it is shaking room like major earth quake. But how ever i did not feel the real deep bass.
The dealer has placed the subs in middle of room , not sure this is the reason for not getting real deep bass. Hearing these subs supposed to be great as per reviews.

I have also gone through Kilpsch R115 SUB woofer through youtube link below , and this seems to be great and produce great low end.
But, this is 15" subwoofer , would it be overkill to my room size?. Let me know if anybody knows where i can audition this sub in bangalore.

My current setup
Denon 3600H AVR
Emotiva Gen-3 3 Channel power Amp. (275 watts RMS) - Powering my Front LCR speakers
Sonodyne 10 " Sub (150 watts RMS) <---- Sub become very weak after i introduced the Emotiva power AMP. Speakers sounding great . I am looking to upgrade my sub here.

I also heard that we need to match the sub power to the max power output of speakers?. like 150*3 (450 watts RMS > Sub ?).

To achieve deep low that is 5-15hz it’s impossible with a budget of 1.2L IMO. Also you need properly treated room to enjoy such bass. Extend your budget and get dual xtz or pb2000 and use mini dsp. This should help you achieve till 15hz. Klipsch 15 inch also is good but not below 17hz. Subs like pb3000 and rythmik 15 inch may give you the deep bass but will cost more.

To achieve deep low that is 5-15hz it’s impossible with a budget of 1.2L IMO. Also you need properly treated room to enjoy such bass. Extend your budget and get dual xtz or pb2000 and use mini dsp. This should help you achieve till 15hz. Klipsch 15 inch also is good but not below 17hz. Subs like pb3000 and rythmik 15 inch may give you the deep bass but will cost more.
Thanks. Not aware of DSP ?. Any reference link ?

Or alternatively, use two of these
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390hf-4-15-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-468

The drivers shipped to India will be around 60k, to build another 20k; a class D amp at 20k; and a DSP at another 20k. At 1.2L you will get something that will go really deep.
This looks to be good deal and very good VFM!. But i have zero knowledge on Sub building && equipments. Also it will be tricky & will be no guarnatee unless someone expert really can help in building stuff.
Can you also audition the rythmik as they do have demo in Bangalore?
Can you pm me the dealer no where to get audition of rythmik sub.

DSP

There is a thread from an FM prateek on how he achieved subsonic bass with a single 18inch driver. Check it out

Hi @Love4sound
Going 5-15hz will be great to add but add more costs .
Even my current Sonodyne subwoofer 10" can deliver good LFE ,which like feel good, but not rocking. This setup in the below video before i added Emotiva power AMP. After adding it Sub become too weak.

I was going through my mobile , got some old videos recorded in my phone :)

Though XTZ , SVS far more superior than Sonodyne Sub in specs/power , i did not even feel Low as Sonodyne. May be due to the tuning , or placement??? i think. Or Could it be because its ported Sub . ?. I think My current sub is sealed sub it has ports on back.

I am planning to check with sealed sub with XTZ , SVS next time.

Could it be possible to post video of your setup?.

Last edited:
Hi All,

My current setup
Denon 3600H AVR
Sonodyne 10 " Sub (150 watts RMS) <---- Sub become very weak after i introduced the Emotiva power AMP. Speakers sounding great . I am looking to upgrade my sub here. Also i have plan of upgrading the LCR speakers down the line. May be after 2-3 years.

Hi Edjamesx,

Ideally you should get deep bass from the XTZ 12.17 edge or the SVS PB 2000 for your room size. Maybe they needed some positioning or more fine tuning with the subs .
For my room size ( 14 ft X 11 ft X 11 ft ) the SVS PC 2000 gives deep bass apart from the room shaking bass at 50 to 60 % of the volume. I have tested it with a track that plays below 20 hz & it plays it well where I feel only the vibrations. I do not have any means of measuring it though. That track was suggested by Mark Henninger of AVSForum who had tested it on the PC 2000 ( rated to play till 16 hz).
If you still have doubts then you can try the Rythmik fv15hp or the SVS PB 3000 which should resolve your doubts once & for all, but they are big subs especially the Rythmik.

Regards.

Hi Edjamesx,

Ideally you should get deep bass from the XTZ 12.17 edge or the SVS PB 2000 for your room size. Maybe they needed some positioning or more fine tuning with the subs .
For my room size ( 14 ft X 11 ft X 11 ft ) the SVS PC 2000 gives deep bass apart from the room shaking bass at 50 to 60 % of the volume. I have tested it with a track that plays below 20 hz & it plays it well where I feel only the vibrations. I do not have any means of measuring it though. That track was suggested by Mark Henninger of AVSForum who had tested it on the PC 2000 ( rated to play till 16 hz).
If you still have doubts then you can try the Rythmik fv15hp or the SVS PB 3000 which should resolve your doubts once & for all, but they are big subs especially the Rythmik.

Regards.
Thanks Nitin. Could ported sub matters here?. Aren't they supposed to produce deep bass effect?. Could be due to the tuning or sub placement in the Demo , i did not feel LFE. Its sounded like more mid bass.
My current sub have ports on the back. Where as SVS , XTZ have ports (holes) in the front.

Planning to check again these subs sometime again /also sealed sub.

I will check Rythemic also.

Hi @Love4sound
Going 5-15hz will be great to add but add more costs .
Even my current Sonodyne subwoofer 10" can deliver good LFE ,which like feel good, but not rocking. This setup in the below video before i added Emotiva power AMP. After adding it Sub become too weak.

I was going through my mobile , got some old videos recorded in my phone :)

Though XTZ , SVS far more superior than Sonodyne Sub in specs/power , i did not even feel Low as Sonodyne. May be due to the tuning , or placement??? i think. Or Could it be because its ported Sub . ?. I think My current sub is sealed sub it has ports on back.

I am planning to check with sealed sub with XTZ , SVS next time.

Could it be possible to post video of your setup?.
I don’t have any videos. Only when you calibrate the sub at your place you will know if it will be better then Sonodyne. Room, calibration is the most important factor. You have tuned the Sonodyne sub to the best and hence taking demos at showroom where the subs are not calibrated to its best won’t give you the true potential of the subs you demo. If u can get u mic run rew and measure how low the Sonodyne sub goes. Xtz for sure will give good performance till 19hz. The pb 2000 as far as I know will be good till 18hz. Also if your sub has rear ports then it is not a sealed sub

Last edited:
Try Rythmik FV15HP. Very popular among people and VFM. You need to stretch your budget.
I am going to buy this subwoofer once I have enough cash for it.

Thanks Nitin. Could ported sub matters here?. Aren't they supposed to produce deep bass effect?. Could be due to the tuning or sub placement in the Demo , i did not feel LFE. Its sounded like more mid bass.
My current sub have ports on the back. Where as SVS , XTZ have ports (holes) in the front.

Planning to check again these subs sometime again /also sealed sub.

I will check Rythemic also.
Most welcome, ports do matter for that extra loudness you look for especially for movies.
In the pc 2000 that I am using, there is a 4 inch port at the back. The earlier models svs pc and pb 2000 are similar in specs with the PC 2000 going down an extra hertz to16 hz .
The driver size, the cabinet size, the amplifier and whether sealed or ported ( with openings/holes) do affect the quality, quantity and the authority with which the bass is played at the lowermost frequencies.

Regards.

Last edited:
I don’t have any videos. Only when you calibrate the sub at your place you will know if it will be better then Sonodyne. Room, calibration is the most important factor. You have tuned the Sonodyne sub to the best and hence taking demos at showroom where the subs are not calibrated to its best won’t give you the true potential of the subs you demo. If u can get u mic run rew and measure how low the Sonodyne sub goes. Xtz for sure will give good performance till 19hz. The pb 2000 as far as I know will be good till 18hz. Also if your sub has rear ports then it is not a sealed sub
Thanks @Love4sound . Yes i was definitely expecting XTZ or SVS will be sounding more great deep bass. Their specs are far superior than sonodyne. But they sounded like mid bass to me in the demo and they are super powerful to paralyze hands when touching :)

For example SVS sounded like : powerful--> HHHMMM. (because of big ported box)
XTZ sounded like : powerful--> hhhmmm
My Sonodyne Sub : less powerful -> hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmm..... (which is supposed to be correct LFE sound , but lacks power)

I thought something to do with phase control in sub in the demo and I also tried increasing this till mid position , and little up. still same sound.
Any other specific settings i have to try ?. I will try again same with placement /and any settings again.

Last edited:
Thanks @Love4sound . Yes i was definitely expecting XTZ or SVS will be sounding more great deep bass. Their specs are far superior than sonodyne. But they sounded like mid bass to me in the demo and they are super powerful to paralyze hands when touching :)

For example SVS sounded like : powerful--> HHHMMM. (because of big ported box)
XTZ sounded like : powerful--> hhhmmm
My Sonodyne Sub : less powerful -> hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmm..... (which is supposed to be correct LFE sound , but lacks power)

I thought something to do with phase control in sub in the demo and I also tried increasing this till mid position , and little up. still same sound.
Any other specific settings i have to try ?. I will try again same with placement /and any settings again.
What avr and speakers are paired with the sub? Xtz performs best when right port is blocked with eq at ref for movies. Bass is very tricky man you see here fms with Svs, xtz upgrading infact recently one fm sold his rythmik 15 inch which was just few months old. Only way you can be sure which sub will perform best in your room is you get one for home demo. Subs that’s sound amazing at demo won’t perform the same at your room. Do you have space for dual subs? Also one more sub I would like to recommend in your budget. Xtz cinema sub. I heard it’s amazing and it’s even better then the xtz edge and pb 2000 based on fm’s who auditioned it.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back