Suggest A Voltage Stabilizer

ram_mohan_p

Dear All,
Please suggest a suitable voltage stabilizer for the following setup.
Onkyo HT-SR800 (670W)
Onkyo Powered Sub-Wooofer (140W)
I will be connecting tatasky stb, lg-dvd player and a worldspace apart from the onkyo stuff. I will not be connecting the tv as it has the feature built in and an additional one is not recommended by the manufacturer.
I had zeroed in on V-Guard DIGI 200 model but is not in stock in Bangalore.
Please suggest a model at the earliest.
Ram Mohan P

Hi, DIGI 200 is avilable at Sonovision, Jayanagar 4 th Block, Tel #080 26639855 & 080 26548325

Anil

Dear All,
Please suggest a suitable voltage stabilizer for the following setup.
Onkyo HT-SR800 (670W)
Onkyo Powered Sub-Wooofer (140W)
I will be connecting tatasky stb, lg-dvd player and a worldspace apart from the onkyo stuff. I will not be connecting the tv as it has the feature built in and an additional one is not recommended by the manufacturer.
I had zeroed in on V-Guard DIGI 200 model but is not in stock in Bangalore.
Please suggest a model at the earliest.
Ram Mohan P

Hi Ram,

The Voltage Stabilizer that you have short-listed i.e. the V-Guard Digi 200 is an excellent choice. Well the V-Guard warehouse is located in Mission Road (on the adjacent lane next to Indian Oil Corporation corporate office) where I am sure you would get one bcoz I used to buy here regularly for my customers. You can also contact me if you need further assistance (My contact no. is 9844404269).

I would like to express two points which I felt that I should share with you ...

1) Ensure that while connecting a sub-woofer to an Volt/Stab the sub-woofer dosen't overload the Volt/Stab i.e., the output capacity (VA) of the Volt/Stab should be good enough to withstand the load of all the equipments that you are connecting. For various reasons, I personally suggest that you connect the sub-woofer to the raw power instead to an Voltage Stabilizer.

2) To my knowledge, generally the power section of any television has only basic protection at the primary stage (230V AC) and a proper power regulation circuit only at the secondary stage (low voltage output). So you cannot expect a complete role of an Volt/Stab from a built-in circuit of a television. In that case why many leading Volt/Stab manufacturers still continue to manufacture separate Volt/Stabs for Televisions? I personally suggest that you use an Volt/Stab for your television so that it gets complete protection from Surges, Spikes & Over/Under voltage problems.

(Also please take inputs from Qualified technical fellow-pals in this forum )

Hi,

Ideal stabilizer for you should a 1.5 or 2 kva one ! if budget permits try to go for servo ( though not good one's available) I think Anil knows some places where you can get a decent servo stabilizer.

I don't know the spec of this digi200,but recon since it says 200 its a 2kva ( Am sure it cannot be 200Va) and should be good enough !!

Just give it thought and decide !!

Regards.

A servo is a better option as it gives a more constant output voltage than a voltage stabilizer and offers faster response to fluctuations. Most of these on their own will not provide protection for surges, spikes, etc. For that you could use a good quality surge suppressor strip. 1.5 Kva should be sufficient for your given load.

Would a UPS work well here?
Connect the electronics (amp/receiver/player/STB) through the UPS and the sub through a regular voltage stabilizer?

~dichkaun

Ram mohan,

What is the Ampere spec of this DIGI 200 and how many o/p sockets ?
I think you should look at the Power consumption of your equipments if you plan to connect all to one stabilizer.

-Sunil

Dear All,
Thanks to all who have advised me and for their suggestions.
I have managed to locate the availability. Its also available at Modern World apart from Sonovision. I have chosen Modern World as its closer to my wife's workplace.
Its a 6 amp rated stabilzer. i.e, its a 220*6 = 1320W model. I am not very sure of the power factor to be applied (for the type of equipment-Home theatre, Sub woofer, Tatasky STB, and DVD player). upon considering a power factor of 0.75, the VA rating of the model comes to 990VA (1 KVA). The AVR and Sub Woofer are rated at 670 and 140 respectively. This adds to 810W. Add another 10 + 10W for STB and the DVD player. This comes to 830W. This is less that 1320W. From this basic calculation, it looks like 1kva model is sufficient. In fact the people at Modern World even suggested that I can go for a 3 amp model. I did not want to take a chance and would be settling for the 6amp model.
I hope that I am correct with the calculations. Any advice on this would be highly appreciated.
Regards

Ordinary (economy)UPS provides a stepped Sine wave , use of this type of waveform is harmful to your audio gears. You must use a A pure sine wave UPS which is very expensive further Amp/receiver has got high inrush current during start up and while reproducing some complex / dynamic / high energy music , so UPS rating must be much higher than steady state requirements, consider this while deciding on VA ratings of the UPS. This translates into a very expensive UPS perhaps costing more than your entire setup.

Any economy grade (cheap) voltage stab, servo, isolation transformer, power conditioner, surge suppresser etc will serve nothing . It will give you a false sense of security and nothing else .

Further anything between AC mains and audio gear will some way or other affect the performance .

I am against of putting anything between your AC mains and the system. But if at all you are so determined then you can consider Audiophile grade Power Conditioner / Re-generators made by PS Audio (USA) , but these products are way expensive (Rs 200K+)!

Hope this helps

SUhas

Last edited:
670W and 140W? I think these are the audio power values of your HT and Sub right? This has nothing to do with the stabilizer selection. I would easily allocate min 3 amp for any HT Receiver. ( In between 3 and 4 ideally.. ). You can refer the spec for power consumption.

Sunil

Thank you for the suggestions.
Could somebody quickly comment on the calculations. I strongly feel that 1KVA would be sufficient. 2kVA would be an overkill. Has anybody used a V-Guard DIGI 200 for this purpose?
Regards
Ram Mohan P

Dear Mr. Sunil,
Yes, 670W and 140W are listed under power consumption in the specifications sheet. I zeroed in on VGUARD DIGI 200 based on this. Please comment on this and the calculations too.
Thank you for your post.
Regards
Ram Mohan P

Yes, i am using DIGI 200 from past 6 months. 1 kva might overload your system. Contact Manjunath, they also make 1 kva Voltage Stabilizer.

Anil

Thank you for the suggestions.
Could somebody quickly comment on the calculations. I strongly feel that 1KVA would be sufficient. 2kVA would be an overkill. Has anybody used a V-Guard DIGI 200 for this purpose?
Regards
Ram Mohan P

Dear Mr. Anil Kumar,
Nice to know that you are using a Digi 200 stab. Is it for a home theatre. What is its VA rating?
Regards
Ram Mohan P

Hi,

The 670W for AVR is seems ok but the 140W for the sub is what Am not able to digest !! even if the sub is 80W RMS it will consume more power then the specified !!Anyway 2Kva is the Safest and the ideal is 1.5Kva ! the reason is, as already mentioned earlier the initial surge of the equipments and the transients of the same has to be kept in mind while selecting, so if you go for a 1Kva, then the 670+140watts (according to the spec) is already 810 watts plus your dvd another 25watts + TATASKY another 25watts + world space 10watt ,so all on all it will be around 900watts of actual load so 100watts buffer is hardly anything and will not make much sense (not to me atleast) so I'll stand by recommendation !! Even now if you think its an overkill then....

Regards.

Last edited:
i'm using a monster powercleaner ht 800, i got it for rs. 6k from sumaria,in mkt it is avbl for 8.5k.

i got a better audio and video quality and zero voltage problems.

krish

Hi!!

I am not sure about the DIGI200 but I am using a 2kVA servo. For your setup as well, I will recommend a 2KvaServo. Stabilizer's are relay based and most of them don't have an intermediate setting.Voltage changes can be erractic when a bad fluctuation occurs. Servos are also relay based but they have direct contact system. They will only give you precise output and voltage changes will be smooth. Plus , there is always added protection min-max voltage cut-off. Rating of my Servo is 2kVA,140-280V. Any input in between this band will only give me 220V. Anything else will shut off the system. Thats it.

I was using a stabilizer earlier. Once I turned on the stabilizer and it blew the fuse of my DVD player abd SUB in one go. The power switches of both were already on. Then i upgraded on to a Servo. Three years and haven't lost a component. And, I live in UP. We all know the power condition here.
When you turn on a servo, it doesn't give output instantly. It waits for a second to adjust itself and then gives good 220V.

I have been observing the output Voltmeter of my servo with the music on. During low volumes there is no deflection of the meter needle. But, when u turn the vol. way up i.e. when the receiver is working overtime, one is able to see slight deflection. This is because the servo is working continuously to keep up with the demand. It never stops. I am not sure what a stabilizer will do in this case.

Also, to stop surges u may use a surge protector or a 1:1 transformer.
And, if u have the budget u may use a line conditioner.

Designer Audio - Products
Hit the DAC link on the page. You will spot a HI-fi Line filter.

Hope this info helps you. Again, my experience with stabilizers was bad. Maybe there are people who are more than happy with them. Its your call.

Sumit

Hi
I am looking for a Power Conditioner for my CDP and AMP . I stay in Faridabad, Haryana and the electricity is a huge problem in terms on availability and voltage fluctuation. We have a 6 KVA Voltage stabilizer at the mains but I am looking for a power conditioner which also acts as a battery backup when the electricity goes off. I would like to know your thoughts on using an Online UPS from APC which not only cleans the power and protects against surges and spikes but also provides power from it's batteries which are constantly charged. The bonus is that when electricity goes off it also gives me power backup for atleast 5 mins for the song to finish and shut down the system.
Your views, thoughts......

Krish: How would you recommend the Monster Power cleaner and is it available in Delhi? The pricing seems to be attractive provided it does a good job.

Regards
Rahul Pandit

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back