Suggest me options for a speaker + sub upgrade

Vandal

Hi guys,

I've been happily settled with my M-audio BX-5's and Velodyne Impact 10 for more than 3 years now.

My source is an my computers optical out -> Audio GD Reference 5 DAC -> Audio GD NFB-6 preamp.

I think I'm ready for the next level of quality. I listen to a lot of music, but also the odd game + movies on my computer. Still musicality/clarity is more important that big thuds and loud noise. I listen at lower to moderate volumes

Shopping for an upgrade of active monitors + subwoofer. I might buy these items one by one, to ease the cost of ownership.

Do you guys have any suggestions for an upgrade on both fronts? Any advice/suggestions/recommendations/ownership experience will be appreciated.

BTW, I stay in Delhi.

the genelec and adam actives are really good if you can afford them

KRK rokit is another option

HOwever the sonodyne studio monitors ( recording masters ) are vry very good as well
Please note : the recording masters are not as cheap as their commercial regular lineup of hifi speakers

SONODYNE
the SM series is good however not cheap

the SRP series is what you can think of getting
the SRP 400 would be my pick if not the SM series or the genelecs

Hi Magma,

Thanks for the advice. You have given me plenty of options to consider. Had one question, the Rokit's are well considered, but are they any good, or better than the BX5's? What about KRK's VX series?

Also, M-audio has something called the M3-6, and M3-8, which are supposedly tri-amped, with a dedicated driver for each of the frequency ranges. Actually, since I'm going with a sub too, I won't look at the larger bookshelves (read 8" and above drivers) unless they're very good, and very cheap (read 5-6k more than the 6" equivalents).

What are your thoughts on the actives mentioned above?

^Adam seems a little out of my budget. I was hoping for the bookshelves to be in the range of 40k to 55k for the pair.

Hi Vandal,

Since you are supposedly looking at Active monitors (studio kind of line up)...see this link...

Buy Monitors/Speakers at lowest prices, free shipping, warranty in India from BAJAAO.COM

I am sure there are countless reviews over the internet and youtube for you to make a proper decision...all the best

Hi, I'm very familair with Bajaao, and believe me I have read a dozen opinions each on various online sites. I was hoping for some personal experience of somebody who has come before me faced with a similar upgrade path.

The BX2's aren't lacking. I am just looking at the next level. Does anybody have personal experience with any of the speakers mentioned?

I would recommend checking out Genelec speakers, they are fantastic value for money. I have owned them in the past, but heads up they are not to everybody's liking. A bit too dry and analytical for some.

The BX2's aren't lacking. I am just looking at the next level.

Next level is as next level does. Go slow and save up if you really want to go to the next level. Incremental upgrades are not really next level.

HI

Vandal

All speakers i adviced are 6 inch and below drivers
thats what i recommend too
the 8 inchers are not as fast as the 5.25 inchers

the M3-6 i have heard
the sonodynes SRP's better them

you have great budget
enough for an upstep rather than a sidestep

hear a genelec ( see if it suits you )
if not the sonodyne pro series
i personally prefr them to the rokits

Hi guys,

I've been happily settled with my M-audio BX-5's and Velodyne Impact 10 for more than 3 years now.

My source is an my computers optical out -> Audio GD Reference 5 DAC -> Audio GD NFB-6 preamp.

I think I'm ready for the next level of quality. I listen to a lot of music, but also the odd game + movies on my computer. Still musicality/clarity is more important that big thuds and loud noise. I listen at lower to moderate volumes

Shopping for an upgrade of active monitors + subwoofer. I might buy these items one by one, to ease the cost of ownership.

Do you guys have any suggestions for an upgrade on both fronts? Any advice/suggestions/recommendations/ownership experience will be appreciated.

BTW, I stay in Delhi.

Two Suggestions from my side :

Mackie MR5mk3 + MR10Smk3 Sub ---> Cost Around 70K

PreSonus E5 + Temblor T10/T8 ---> Cost Around 90K

I have done a lot of research on Active Speakers and bought Genelecs @ the end :)

Please do some research, you will have so many Active speakers in every segment and every budget.

Hi music4mhell, magma, I will not be able to sample Genelec's here in Delhi (Pandam in Mumbai distributed them AFAIR), but looking at the output wattage, can the 8010 go loud (I will pair with a sub)? But at times, I do like to play a bit louder, when I am moving around rooms, doing some household chores. They're only rated at 50 watts, compared to others, at 70~+ watts.

I have heard Genelec's, when in Mumbai, but that was in 2009, and memory doesn't serve well.

FYI, I am looking at 6" drivers or slightly smaller, not more.

Sub for music, you would recommend 10" or 12" size of driver? Remember I also game, and watch some movies.

Reading up on the options you guys have recommended.

The combo mentioned above comes to 59k if I buy off Bajaao.com.

Since I spent around 40k the last time, I was just wondering if this combo would be a noticeable step up?

Yes sorry, i was thinking about the Presonus E8 + Temblor 10 :)

Obviously it will be a big step up, Presonus is a very good brand, you can check so many online reviews on Presonus Studio monitors (Mostly positive).

Coming to your Questions about Genelecs, 50 Watts per channel is more than enough for a big Hall even :) , i play in bedroom and can enjoy from Hall and kitchen.

Let me know, if you need more clarification. And please check out on Mackir monitors also, they are really good.

Yes sorry, i was thinking about the Presonus E8 + Temblor 10 :)

Obviously it will be a big step up, Presonus is a very good brand, you can check so many online reviews on Presonus Studio monitors (Mostly positive).

Coming to your Questions about Genelecs, 50 Watts per channel is more than enough for a big Hall even :) , i play in bedroom and can enjoy from Hall and kitchen.

Let me know, if you need more clarification. And please check out on Mackir monitors also, they are really good.

Thanks. The 8010 has a 'mere' 3" driver for mid range. Is that fine? Compared to the presonus that has a 5" driver. Won't the Genelec sound a bit tinny? Reviews say they can lose it at higher volumes. Is this true?

Thanks. The 8010 has a 'mere' 3" driver for mid range. Is that fine? Compared to the presonus that has a 5" driver. Won't the Genelec sound a bit tinny? Reviews say they can lose it at higher volumes. Is this true?

In presonus the 5 Inch driver gives total 80W (45W+35W) where as Genelec 8010 has 50W. So on the paper 8010 has less power.

But i am playing 8010 on full volume i nev felt any distortion :)

Genelec also has 5 Inch model, that will cost you around 70K each. :D

You can't have both quality and power in a small package :D

A friendly advise. There are tons of unhappy customers who bought something from baajao.com. Just Google it.

Thanks in advance, So can you get 5.1 with the Genelec's without a pre-amp? and with a blu-ray player? or a Laptop as a source.(dts audio)

I would like to keep the setup minimum as possible.

Active speakers are great for 2.1 setup,but for HT they terribly confusing.

pre-amp/audio interface/aes/ebu?

Thanks in advance, So can you get 5.1 with the Genelec's without a pre-amp? and with a blu-ray player? or a Laptop as a source.(dts audio)

I would like to keep the setup minimum as possible.

Active speakers are great for 2.1 setup,but for HT they terribly confusing.

pre-amp/audio interface/aes/ebu?

No you cant get 5.1 with just a player, you have to get an AV receiver which has Audio Pre-outs.
You can get cheap Sound cards which convert 5.1, but again there will be no fun , because the DAC inside them will be of cheapest quality.

So can you get 5.1 with the Genelec's without a pre-amp? and with a blu-ray player? or a Laptop as a source.(dts audio)

You can if you get hold of a blu-Ray player or media player with analog audio out. Oppo BDP 105 has it and some other players too, but you need to scout for them. If you can afford the Genelec then you can go the extra mile and get the Oppo :).

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back