suggestion for this layout

htseeker

hello...please have a look at the below pics, in the first pic, I'm planning to have the projector on the wall that you see and want to know what sort of material I can use to cover the wall.

In the second pic, you can see 3 large windows, unfortunately, I cant get rid of them totally but please suggest what I can do to have minimal impact from them. Also, the angle from which this pic is taken is actually an open space that leads to the home theatre, and am planning to have a sliding door end to end, what material can I possibly use on the surface of the door.

Also, I'm using wooden floor in the HT, someone suggested that I have sand underneath the wooden floor-is this feasible. I'd appreciate all your comments. Thanks.

Attachments

• Image0042.jpg
    Image0042.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Image0043.jpg
    Image0043.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 131
The wall in the first picture has a depression. I am not sure whether you want to use this depression for the projector or for the screen. This wall does not look good for a screen. The opposite wall will be better. If it is the projector, ceiling mounts are available. Alternatively, you can mount a simple wooden shelf and just place the projector on that.

Depending upon where you plan to keep the equipment, ensure that you do all the wiring now.

The windows can be covered with a heavy drape. That is the easiest option.

Regarding sand beneath the floor, it has no value other than raising the floor and acting as an semi-inert material to restrict sound movement to some extent.

The sliding door can be mounted with sound absorbing material to stop movement of sound as well as restrict reflections. If you use a hollow frame and fill that with glass wool or equivalent, that will be far better. The frames with glass wool can then be covered with perforated ply or this sound absorbing or sound isolation plys.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks venkat for your response.

Any specific reasons for suggesting not to use the depression in the wall for the screen? Also, do you suggest any sound absorbing material in the depression?

Also, I'm using wooden floor in the HT, someone suggested that I have sand underneath the wooden floor-is this feasible. I'd appreciate all your comments. Thanks.

Htseeker - sand is usually used to fill empty spaces in structures like a stage or elevated second row so as to prevent a reverberant cavity that can play havoc with low frequencies. Unless there is going to be a significant amount of space between the wooden floor and base concrete I would advise against it and if at all possible consider wall to wall carpeting vs. wooden floor - a better, acoustically friendly material IMO, though harder to clean in this dusty atmosphere.
Cheers
Sid

Any specific reasons for suggesting not to use the depression in the wall for the screen? Also, do you suggest any sound absorbing material in the depression?

Unless you are planning to mount in-wall or on-wall speakers, the space behind the screen need not be treated for sound.

Mounting a screen on a restricted area will be troublesome. The depression will limit your screen size as well have problems in terms of mounting speakers as well as placing sub woofers. A flat wall is a much better option.

Cheers

Unless you are planning to mount in-wall or on-wall speakers, the space behind the screen need not be treated for sound.

venkat, I'm exploring the possibility of having the screen on the opposite wall. My speakers will be on the wall, in that case:

1. should I treat the depression for sound?
2. the space on the flat wall for sound?
3. if yes, what material

many thanks.

What is the distance? I initially planned ot mount my speaker in a defined locatoin, then i realized that it was along the width of the room, the speakers sounded boomy, so I had o orevise the projector location. I too suggest you avoid wooden flooring and look at carpets instead.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back