Suggestion required for Digital Audio

Which bdp do you have currently?

I have a basic Philips 2180 BD Player. It bitstreams content to my Marantz 1504. Currently its connected via HDMI. I am thinking of running a Coaxial from the player to the receiver via a DAC and this would be for Music only. So it would be switching sources at the receiver level from HDMI to Analog. Do you think this effort would yield better results?

MaSh

Last edited:
Coax cable from BDP to DAC and analog RCA from DAC to AVR.
AVR must be switched to the analog input and select source direct.
Worth a try to hear the difference in sound quality.

Cheers,
Raghu

Coax cable from BDP to DAC and analog RCA from DAC to AVR.
AVR must be switched to the analog input and select source direct.
Worth a try to hear the difference in sound quality.

Cheers,
Raghu

That is exactly what the plan is.

@mash directly ordered from Schiit website and order placement was smooth, immediately they dispatched and gave the shipment number.

my question to you, since you are not going to play from computer, then why the DAC, you can go for good CDP.

@mash directly ordered from Schiit website and order placement was smooth, immediately they dispatched and gave the shipment number.

my question to you, since you are not going to play from computer, then why the DAC, you can go for good CDP.

Ahh okay.

Well I am thinking of trying to place the DAC between my BR Player and receiver. Coaxial to DAC, Analog to receiver. Do you think its worth a try?

Ahh okay.

Well I am thinking of trying to place the DAC between my BR Player and receiver. Coaxial to DAC, Analog to receiver. Do you think its worth a try?
Yes I believe so. Given the fact that the external dac is better than the internal dac of marantz.

As per your current scenario, when bdp is connected with any digital cable (like HDMI/coax), the dac inside bdp is bypassed and avr's dac comes into play.

One more thing...at a fixed price point, bdp is a better transport than a cdp IMHO. So in any Audio chain, if a dac is introduced (irrespective of transport like bdp/pc/SBC), I think it will sound better.

Last edited:
@gilfredpaul @mash

Since we are all in Bangalore, we can get together in a convenient place and try Schiit M2U in your chains. I am in S. Bangalore.

Cheers,
Raghu

Our Fm's gave a good review, based on the i am going to try...may be in two weeks i can give my review.

Super, will wait for it, that is, if I can hold on to my horses till then.:D

Yes I believe so. Given the fact that the external dac is better than the internal dac of marantz.

As per your current scenario, when bdp is connected with any digital cable (like HDMI/coax), the dac inside bdp is bypassed and avr's dac comes into play.

One more thing...at a fixed price point, bdp is a better transport than a cdp IMHO. So in any Audio chain, if a dac is introduced (irrespective of transport like bdp/pc/SBC), I think it will sound better.

Super. That is my feeling too. DAC in the philips, dont intend to use it ever.

@gilfredpaul @mash

Since we are all in Bangalore, we can get together in a convenient place and try Schiit M2U in your chains. I am in S. Bangalore.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi I am in E.Bangalore, lets try on some convenient day

Good idea, I am in Whitefield. We could catch up over a weekend.

Just a side note.
Philips is the pioneer in dac technology. Some of dacs based on Philips tda1541/1543 are one of the best dacs and can even beat today's advanced dacs hands down.

Imo, now a days, in consumer electronics, plilips is not putting these dac chips. [emoji4]
Super, will wait for it, that is, if I can hold on to my horses till then.:D

Good idea, I am in Whitefield. We could catch up over a weekend.

Just a side note.
Philips is the pioneer in dac technology. Some of dacs based on Philips tda1541/1543 are one of the best dacs and can even beat today's advanced dacs hands down.

Imo, now a days, in consumer electronics, plilips is not putting these dac chips. [emoji4]

Not only DACs, even their basic music systems sound absolutely amazing to me. Sadly, they are not pushing those products here in India. I have a Philips MCD388/98 at my parents home and man that little thing rocks.

directly ordered from Schiit website and order placement was smooth, immediately they dispatched and gave the shipment number

Sir please help me out with the following queries as I intend to buy this item:

1. Is there any difference in SQ between Modi2 and Modi2 Uber apart from I/O options - given that the price difference is 50$.

2. Which Shipment mode did you pick - USPS/Fedex

3. Any custom related issues did you face?

Hi, There should be difference in SQ that's what's users claim. It's a blind buy. I have ordered my device to friend in USA, he will bring it when he is back to india.

Sir please help me out with the following queries as I intend to buy this item:

1. Is there any difference in SQ between Modi2 and Modi2 Uber apart from I/O options - given that the price difference is 50$.

2. Which Shipment mode did you pick - USPS/Fedex

3. Any custom related issues did you face?

@nuvo
I have the M2U. The $50 is not for sound quality. It is for 2 extra inputs, a dinky select switch and an external power supply.
Some say the linear power supply (wall wart) addresses some of the USB power related noise issues. But the guys at Schiit are non-committal about this.
On its performance, it does its job well according to me, at its price point.
If you can, have a friend order it in the US and have it carried by them. No intl shipping and no customs.

Cheers,
Raghu

@nuvo
I have the M2U. The $50 is not for sound quality. It is for 2 extra inputs, a dinky select switch and an external power supply.
Some say the linear power supply (wall wart) addresses some of the USB power related noise issues. But the guys at Schiit are non-committal about this.
On its performance, it does its job well according to me, at its price point.
If you can, have a friend order it in the US and have it carried by them. No intl shipping and no customs.

Cheers,
Raghu

@Raghu,

I think you are misleading nuvo. 'Uber' is the analog output stage. So apart from the additional inputs and wall wart, this upgrade has different analog output stage as well. Most of the users claim that they found real noticeable difference in SQ with this upgrade.

Oh. Thanks saikatbiswas82!!
I bought it for the extra inputs. Now that I went back and re-read Schiit site, yes they have an improved analog stage. Wonder how I missed it when I was deciding between the 2 models.

@nuvo
Sorry for the unintentional mislead. If you are deciding between non-uber and uber, get the uber version (assuming it will not pinch the wallet). More flexibility and improved analog stage.

Cheers,
Raghu

Oh. Thanks saikatbiswas82!!
I bought it for the extra inputs. Now that I went back and re-read Schiit site, yes they have an improved analog stage. Wonder how I missed it when I was deciding between the 2 models.

No problem at all brother. [emoji4]

Came across this DAC on Amazon. FiiO D03K Coaxial/Optical to R/L Audio convertor: Amazon.in: Electronics

Any one using it? It may not compare to the other more acclaimed brands or models, nevertheless, is it worth getting a feel of using a DAC?

It would be connected either to Coaxial or Optical out of my DVD player and will feed into my receiver. Suggestions/Views are welcome. Advice on alternate models in this price range are also welcome.

MaSh

As the price is low, it would be worth a shot. You can get one and test it out yourself.
One thing I do believe - what you pay is what you get.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back