Suggestions for 5.1.4 setup

Vkdking

Hi friends, I am setting up a home theatre in my living room. The idea is to set up a decent system and enjoy movies/TV shows and also use that room as a living room. This puts the restriction of not being able to go whole hog but restrict myself due to dual usage.
The room size is 18.5’(l) x 13’(b) x 9’(h) = 2165 cu ft. The room has a French window on one side. That has been covered with two heavy curtains for sound proofing purpose. False ceiling has been done with perforated gypsum sheets for the same reason. The overall outcome is pretty decent.
The usage would be 80% TV/ movies and rest music. I already have a 65” LG OLED TV and would continue to do service for a while, till projector is finalised. The sound duty is being done by LG Soundbar that came with the TV.
The wall behind the TV has been covered with gypsum panels and given a finish to be able to do the duty as projector screen later. During construction and interior works I got wiring done for projector, and rear speakers.
For Atmos I have already installed 4 JBL Arena 6IC in the ceiling. This was done to avoid cutting the false ceiling later. That can get messy and for Atmos purpose these speakers appeared adequate.
Now the dilemma.
I have done some homework and kind of shortlisted the following:-
AVR - Marantz 6015 or Denon 4700H. Both appear very close on a lot of parameters. Marantz prices have increased recently and is costing 18K more. This is making me tilt towards Denon.
Centre Channel - Paradigm Premier 500C, Kef Q650 C and Revel Concerta 2 C25. I have auditioned Paradigm and Kef. Both appeared solid. I have read about Revel ones and have been liked by everyone who has auditioned them. Centre channel appears to be the most important speaker for movies. That’s why I am ready to spend a little more on them compared to surround speakers.
Surrounds - Paradigm Cinema 200 and Kef Q150. I have auditioned both, but at different times and location. Paradigm appeared quite good. Any other suggestions in the similar price band? Paradigm ones are available for 22 K a piece.
Subwoofer - SVS SB1000 Pro and Klipsch SPL 120. I haven’t been able to audition SVS one’s. But there are loads of reviews for both of them. They are available at similar price points in India. As of now I am thinking of one Subwoofer. Having read through the forum, I am sure a lot of FMs would suggest a dual setup.
I have worked out my budget for separate components and not for the whole setup.
AVR - 1,60,000
Centre Channel - 75,000
Surrounds - 25,000 each (Total 1 lac for four. FL, FR, RL and RR)
Subwoofer - 80 K.
Total works out to ₹ 4,15,000. It can go upto 4.5 Lacs with one SW.
I can stretch it a little if something very promising comes my way.
Please also suggest anything that appears to be better than what I have listed at these price points.

Tha
Hi friends, I am setting up a home theatre in my living room. The idea is to set up a decent system and enjoy movies/TV shows and also use that room as a living room. This puts the restriction of not being able to go whole hog but restrict myself due to dual usage.
The room size is 18.5’(l) x 13’(b) x 9’(h) = 2165 cu ft. The room has a French window on one side. That has been covered with two heavy curtains for sound proofing purpose. False ceiling has been done with perforated gypsum sheets for the same reason. The overall outcome is pretty decent.
The usage would be 80% TV/ movies and rest music. I already have a 65” LG OLED TV and would continue to do service for a while, till projector is finalised. The sound duty is being done by LG Soundbar that came with the TV.
The wall behind the TV has been covered with gypsum panels and given a finish to be able to do the duty as projector screen later. During construction and interior works I got wiring done for projector, and rear speakers.
For Atmos I have already installed 4 JBL Arena 6IC in the ceiling. This was done to avoid cutting the false ceiling later. That can get messy and for Atmos purpose these speakers appeared adequate.
Now the dilemma.
I have done some homework and kind of shortlisted the following:-
AVR - Marantz 6015 or Denon 4700H. Both appear very close on a lot of parameters. Marantz prices have increased recently and is costing 18K more. This is making me tilt towards Denon.
Centre Channel - Paradigm Premier 500C, Kef Q650 C and Revel Concerta 2 C25. I have auditioned Paradigm and Kef. Both appeared solid. I have read about Revel ones and have been liked by everyone who has auditioned them. Centre channel appears to be the most important speaker for movies. That’s why I am ready to spend a little more on them compared to surround speakers.
Surrounds - Paradigm Cinema 200 and Kef Q150. I have auditioned both, but at different times and location. Paradigm appeared quite good. Any other suggestions in the similar price band? Paradigm ones are available for 22 K a piece.
Subwoofer - SVS SB1000 Pro and Klipsch SPL 120. I haven’t been able to audition SVS one’s. But there are loads of reviews for both of them. They are available at similar price points in India. As of now I am thinking of one Subwoofer. Having read through the forum, I am sure a lot of FMs would suggest a dual setup.
I have worked out my budget for separate components and not for the whole setup.
AVR - 1,60,000
Centre Channel - 75,000
Surrounds - 25,000 each (Total 1 lac for four. FL, FR, RL and RR)
Subwoofer - 80 K.
Total works out to ₹ 4,15,000. It can go upto 4.5 Lacs with one SW.
I can stretch it a little if something very promising comes my way.
Please also suggest anything that appears to be better than what I have listed at these price points.
That's a good sized room. :)
Also, good job on pre-wiring the set up...

However, what you have done as of now might not be enough in terms of treatment and proofing. So, I'd suggest first of all mentally prepare yourself to spend some money on later treatment. If you need soundproofing, it will be quite expensive.

AVR:
Both are good AVRs, and if it is working out in your budget, Denon might just work out better.
Also, I don't think the Marantz supports Auro 3D, while the Denon does. In a room like yours, you could even try Auro 3D... I recently experienced it in FM Rajith Kumar's place and it was far superior to DTS and Atmos.

In another thread, one FM said they got the 4700 for 132K recently. So, keep that as your target while bargaining with the dealer.

Centre: The Premier 500C is the only three-way. If you intend to have more than one seat, that will be the best Centre for you.

LRs and Surs: I'd suggest you skip the Cinema 200; at best they could be your surrounds. For L-R, try their SE 3000. If you are set on only Bookshelves, try the SE Atom.

Ditto with KEF. I'd say keep the 150s for side surrounds and consider the 350s for L-R. You could even look at Q series floorstanders for your room size.

Sub: Considering your room size, I'd suggest a 15" sub, and tell you not to settle for anything less :D FM Nitin K has the predator 1508 and can help you with his impressions. Rythmik and Mission are other brands with good 15" models. Check them out too...

In all, go slow, and consider all options before purchase.

Wishing you all the best!

So, I'd suggest first of all mentally prepare yourself to spend some money on later treatment. If you need soundproofing, it will be quite expensive.
Ok. Will keep that in mind.
. I recently experienced it in FM Rajith Kumar's place and it was far superior to DTS and Atmos.
Will do that.
The Premier 500C is the only three-way.
It seems centre channel is sorted out. 500C did look very good.
I'd suggest you skip the Cinema 200; at best they could be your surrounds. For L-R, try their SE 3000. If you are set on only Bookshelves, try the SE Atom.
Actually there is space constraint on the front wall due to presence of a door on the right wall. Due to future usage of the front wall as projector screen (120” size) I can’t install anything wider than 7 inches. That removes the possibility of most of the floor standards.
I was torn between SE Atom and 200. Spec wise they both look similar.
I need few more suggestions in this regard. Something decent in less than 7” width.
Seems some more homework would have to be done in this aspect.
I request FMs to help me in this regard and suggest a solution.
Considering your room size, I'd suggest a 15" sub, and tell you not to settle for anything less :D FM Nitin K has the predator 1508 and can help you with his impressions. Rythmik and Mission are other brands with good 15" models. Check them out too...
I was considering two 12” rather than one 15”. Buy one 12” now and add one more a little later.
How would that go?
@Nitin K , could you please pitch in and guide on this?
I also request FMs to suggest dealers for sourcing these components in Hyderabad. The AVR price of 134K for 4700 H as suggested by @k-pad does appear very good to me. Haven’t come across that though at this place. Any sources in this regard would be great.
@ankitbhargava can you have a look on this thread and give some suggestions?

Last edited:
Few aspects were missed out by me while laying down the constraints.
The wall where the front speakers would be installed, doesn’t have 13’ width (Room width). That is due to a door on front edge. Considering space for 120” projection there is space just enough for 7” wide FL and FR speakers. That is the reason I didn’t consider tower speakers which would have provided much better sound than the ones I have shortlisted.
Moreover the maximum width of centre channel has to be less than 24”. While designing the cabinet I had presumed that 24” should be adequate for decent centre ch speakers.
Since the C,FL and FR have very limited available depth I couldn’t consider rear ported speakers. Now, I could be wrong in this aspect but my understanding is that the rear ported speakers would need to be kept a little away from the rear wall.
I am attaching a picture below that clears these aspects.

Attachments

• 712061F2-699D-43E7-A1D1-DF6C8800C3FA.jpeg
    712061F2-699D-43E7-A1D1-DF6C8800C3FA.jpeg
    921.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Few aspects were missed out by me while laying down the constraints.
The wall where the front speakers would be installed, doesn’t have 13’ width (Room width). That is due to a door on front edge. Considering space for 120” projection there is space just enough for 7” wide FL and FR speakers. That is the reason I didn’t consider tower speakers which would have provided much better sound than the ones I have shortlisted.
Moreover the maximum width of centre channel has to be less than 24”. While designing the cabinet I had presumed that 24” should be adequate for decent centre ch speakers.
Since the C,FL and FR have very limited available depth I couldn’t consider rear ported speakers. Now, I could be wrong in this aspect but my understanding is that the rear ported speakers would need to be kept a little away from the rear wall.
I am attaching a picture below that clears these aspects.
Haha, you have made the problem, how do I put it, very interesting. :D
Jokes apart, I run the Monitor Audio Radius 225 LCRs.
They are 24" x 5.5" and have a decent cabinet depth too (2.75").
you can see my temporary set-up here:

If you get a chance, give them a listen. There are a couple of capable surrounds in the Radius 45 cubes and the Radius 90 bookshelves, too...

Alternatively, you could try and accommodate some slim FS + Sub in the spaces you have marked for Subs...

Regards

I run the Monitor Audio Radius 225 LCRs.
They are 24" x 5.5" and have a decent cabinet depth too (2.75").
Depth and length is not a problem. It is only the width that is most critical. Sure will look at Monitor Radius ones. How are they compared to Paradigm Cinema 200s. Price and performance wise? For centre channel I guess Paradigm 500C would be better than monitor one’s. For L and R I would definitely reconsider.
Alternatively, you could try and accommodate some slim FS + Sub in the spaces you have marked for Subs...
SVS 1000 pro dimensions are one of the smallest for 12” SWs. There would be a little spare space left in that area if I go for 1000pro. I can place Fs there but then they would be lower than the ear level in seated position. I had planned that area marked in the pic above for L and R.
If I put them at lower level then would that be ok? If yes than I can put decent quality bookshelf ones right next to Subs.
Thanks.

Last edited:
@Nitin K , could you please pitch in and guide on this?
Hi Vkdking,

For your room size two 1205 should be better than a single 1508 to avoid nulls and for even bass. A single 1508 also can effortlessly fill your room size ( it's an overkill for my room 14ft X 11ft X 11ft). I don't mind it as I would prefer some headroom).
For my needs I am very happy with the 1508 for music and movies in the current scenario & had got it just approx a month before the prices shot up insanely. The current escalated price of 2 lakhs is too much and you should explore other options too like Arendal, SVS, PSA, Rythmik Fvx12 for 12 inch or even 15 inches subs. For the price Mission seems to offer good vfm for movies which FM DB 1989 can speak about as he has them. All of the above are good brands.
If possible pls audition in your room before buying one. First buy a single sub and see if you require the 2nd one. In my case mlp is only for one person hence I don't need a 2nd sub as a single one is more than enough. All the best. For your room size, I would have probably gone for a 15 inch sub.

Regards,
Nitin

Last edited:
Did you compare 1205 to any SVS model in the same price range? Which ones were the front runners that you considered?
No. I couldn't compare since I purchased it during Covid times last year in April. There was no showroom in Mumbai to my knowledge where I could take a demo of the 1205 or 1508. I had asked some FM's who had heard these and after reading a lot of reviews of these subs and taking advice from FM's, I took the decision and absolutely no regrets about it.
Since I wanted a compact sealed sub for the room, my initial picks were the SVS SB 3000, Rythmik F12SE and Rel HT 1205.
Before HT 1508, I was using the SVS PC 2000 (ported). This was my initial impression of the HT 1508.

I was using the SVS PC 2000 (ported). This was my initial impression of the HT 1508.
You were using an SVS, so you would know. Moreover, you were considering SVS 3000 but went for 1205 and very happy.

Since I am considering PB1000 Pro, I am sure 1205 would definitely make the cut here.
Now I need to demo 1205.😀

At this point Paradigm 500C appears to be the front runner for centre channel.
For others new options have opened up. F L/R Monitor audio 225 and Paradigm Cinema 200 are the contenders. Would love to hear from any FM who has demoed both these. Width constraint of 7” and requirement of sealed speakers does make this a little difficult.

For subwoofers the options now are SvS1000 pro, REL 1205 and Klipsch SPL 120. I would buy one now and add on a second one later as suggested by FMs.

Folks, could you please also suggest from where to source these components?

Thanks

Last edited:
You were using an SVS, so you would know. Moreover, you were considering SVS 3000 but went for 1205 and very happy.

Since I am considering PB1000 Pro, I am sure 1205 would definitely make the cut here.
Now I need to demo 1205.😀

At this point Paradigm 500C appears to be the front runner for centre channel.
For others new options have opened up. F L/R Monitor audio 225 and Paradigm Cinema 200 are the contenders. Would love to hear from any FM who has demoed both these. Width constraint of 7” and requirement of sealed speakers does make this a little difficult.

For subwoofers the options now are SvS1000 pro, REL 1205 and Klipsch SPL 120. I would buy one now and add on a second one later as suggested by FMs.

Folks, could you please also suggest from where to source these components?

Thanks
Actually the SB 3000 would be in a category above the Rel 1205 price and specwise.Rel 1205 and SVS SB 2000 would be the subs to compare with.
The 1508 and the SB 3000 would be the competitors specwise.
I went for the 1508 since I had a feeling that in the movies dept., the 1205 would fall short when compared to the PC2000 which was ported and very good. But the 1205 would be better for music.
Since I did not want to complicate matters , I went for the 1508 which would have the best of both worlds for my preferences and room size.
But pricewise and vfm , pls check the Arendals, SVS SB/PB 3000, XTZ 12.7 edge and Rythmik FVX 12 or the FV15hp if you have the space.

Last edited:
From the above options, my inclination would be towards the Rythmik FVX 12 for your room size which would give you the best of both, music and movies. But the size and weight of the FVX 12 would be more than the subs in your list if you are ok with it. I am not aware of the current price & whether it is in the range of the subwoofer options you have mentioned. There is a review of a happy fm for the Arendal in the forum & he purchased it from Hyderabad. The dealer's name is in the thread.

For Rel, Prince AV Concepts, contact person is Mr Shiv +91 98194 07473
Mumbai

SVS , Audiophile India, Mr. Samay +91 98 10 154288
Delhi

Rythmik, Avenue Sound , Mumbai, Mr. Ashish 1800 121 8625

Would be great if the FM's in Hyderabad could give you a dealer's number for demo.

Last edited:
Hi friends. I also have a concern regarding ported speakers.
Is my concern about ported speakers correct? Since I plan to install FL and FR with minimal clearance from the back wall , compared to non ported ones. I am thinking that ported ones would need to be a little away from the walls while non ported ones can be kept relatively closer. Is that correct?

While trying to find a workaround for limited space for FL and FR, I realised that a decent centre channel speaker can also be used in that space. Few decent sealed ones are available and would definitely sound better than Paradigm 200 or similar size L & Rs.
Few decent ones are DT procentre 2000, Polk audio reserve R300 and Oberon Vokal (front ported).
What would be the issue in this? Is it workable?
Did some legwork and got to audition a home theatre based on B&W bookshelves and Centre paired with Bose dual 10” SW. B&W ones were 606S2 and HTM 6S2. I found the setup to be very impressive. I found it to be better than Emotiva C2+ based system. Also checked Bose professional FS5Se and FS4SE in stereo setup. They were also very good with a lot of clarity and detail. Seriously considering them for surround and FL n FR if nothing else meets the requirements.

Last edited:
Few decent ones are DT procentre 2000, Polk audio reserve R300 and Oberon Vokal (front ported)

Between DT procenter 2000 & Oberon Vokal, I would go for the Vokal any day. I had the procenter2000 before. Don't know about Polk though.

Hi friends. I also have a concern regarding ported speakers.
Is my concern about ported speakers correct? Since I plan to install FL and FR with minimal clearance from the back wall , compared to non ported ones. I am thinking that ported ones would need to be a little away from the walls while non ported ones can be kept relatively closer. Is that correct?
Yes, they would.
But on looking at the pic again, I am wondering if you could not convince the people at home to place a good pair of FLs on the floor in front of the area marked SW1 and SW2.
Logic being: Isn't it better to buy the best speakers your money can get you, for the space you have, instead of imposing these restrictions on yourself?

Of course, you might find a competent slim, front ported FL (again offering you an MA option, though I assure you I have no vested interests :D -- like the Radius 270s, nothing beats a full blooded tower, especially for a 2000+ cu-ft room, which from the picture opens on to other spaces, meaning the the area you need to take to calculate is even higher...

Regards

While trying to find a workaround for limited space for FL and FR, I realised that a decent centre channel speaker can also be used in that space. Few decent sealed ones are available and would definitely sound better than Paradigm 200 or similar size L & Rs.
Few decent ones are DT procentre 2000, Polk audio reserve R300 and Oberon Vokal (front ported).
What would be the issue in this? Is it workable?
Did some legwork and got to audition a home theatre based on B&W bookshelves and Centre paired with Bose dual 10” SW. B&W ones were 606S2 and HTM 6S2. I found the setup to be very impressive. I found it to be better than Emotiva C2+ based system. Also checked Bose professional FS5Se and FS4SE in stereo setup. They were also very good with a lot of clarity and detail. Seriously considering them for surround and FL n FR if nothing else meets the requirements.
If you didn't like the Emotivas, then Vokal for sure.
But while there are many FMs happy with their Vokal, there are a few who have moved away from it also...

How many seats are you planning for? If more than one, look for a three-way with tweeter-mid-bass in the centre...

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back