Suggestions for improving forum experience

captrajesh

Staff member
Hi all

I've been looking to put across suggestions to the Mods for improving the members' experience while browsing the forum & hence started this thread. I'm sure many of us would chip in with their 2 paise. Here are mine.:)

1. When we log into the forum we are at this page: India's Audio Video Home Theatre and Hi-Fi Discussion Forum In addition to browsing the forum, many of us simultaneously browse other sites, check mails etc. by opening new windows. To check the latest posts, we have to manually refresh the home page every now & then to see the latest posts or click 'unread posts' button.

My suggestion is that the above mentioned home page must be auto refreshed say every two or three minutes or when a certain number of new posts are made, whichever is longer similar to many sites like rediffmail, who refresh the cricket score periodically.

2. When we report a post to the mods, we must be able to highlight only the portion of the post that we want the mods' attention drawn to rather than the entire post. This would save a lot of mods' time who are presently constrained to read the entire post. Also, we must have an option of explaining why is the post being reported.

I had reported posts of a commercial member using inappropriate language but such an option was not available and I had to report the entire post.

Hmmm ... auto refresh when "n" number of posts are made requires tracking state information and polling by browser. Too much coding work involved. I think HFV is using ready made bulletin board s/w. Not sure if hacking this to add features is a priority considering time and cost involved.

And hey do you plan to spend the whole goddamn day in front of HFV waiting for every refresh? :eek:hyeah: This forum is already eating into some precious amount of office time :)

Didnt mean to shoot your proposal, just my Chaar Annas.

Cheers

You can do that yourself in your browser (Firefox) itself

Just right click to find the menu given below!

ebc1mt.jpg

Hi skdMrk,

Thank you very much for the info. I use IE & Safari. Will check out the option in these & if not available, try to download firefox.

Rgds

Rajesh

Hi skdMrk,

Thank you very much for the info. I use IE & Safari. Will check out the option in these & if not available, try to download firefox.

Rgds

Rajesh

- Sticky Threads(or forum sections) on best price available for HIFI equipment (any sort)
- Sticky Threads(or forum sections) for best online dealers and deals
- Sticky Threads (or forum sections) on stuff to avoid.

Id suggest a new forum section dedicated for this . (Best worse) so that user does not have to hunt and can get it from one location only thus avoiding repeat questions (Can you help me getting best Equip?? etc etc)

The auto refresh page is a great idea, i have seen many of these which are of great help especially to members who log in for longer time.

The 2nd point holds good validity. Alternatively we can copy the portion of post and report.

V.

My suggestion is that the above mentioned home page must be auto refreshed say every two or three minutes or when a certain number of new posts are made, whichever is longer similar to many sites like rediffmail, who refresh the cricket score periodically.

When we report a post to the mods, we must be able to highlight only the portion of the post that we want the mods' attention drawn to rather than the entire post. This would save a lot of mods' time who are presently constrained to read the entire post. Also, we must have an option of explaining why is the post being reported.

2. When we report a post to the mods, we must be able to highlight only the portion of the post that we want the mods' attention drawn to rather than the entire post. This would save a lot of mods' time who are presently constrained to read the entire post. Also, we must have an option of explaining why is the post being reported.
You can always QUOTE it in your report

You can always QUOTE it in your report

Logged in as captrajesh
Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

Hi Thad,

When you report, only the above text is displayed. As you can see, there is no place to report any other aspects than what are listed above i.e. report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

Right now few I can think is off ......

1. Desperately need a "Delete" option for your own posts. (with a mandatory option of reason for deletion)
2. Option to change the thread heading, atleat once after you click on submit
3. Basic editing option like "bold", "Itallic" and 3 simple smilies on the quick reply box and when you edit your post (without the need to choose "Go Advance" everytime)

I will add more as and when I get new ideas......

When you report, only the above text is displayed. As you can see, there is no place to report any other aspects than what are listed above i.e. report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.
What I meant was to cut&paste the text to which you want to draw the mods' attention into the message box. You can use the QUOTE tags --- but my only experience is of vB-based board; can't be sure that will display a box for the mods

1. Desperately need a "Delete" option for your own posts. (with a mandatory option of reason for deletion)
Desperately do not need! Has been under discussion in another thread.
2. Option to change the thread heading, atleat once after you click on submit
In vB-based boards you can do this, by going "advanced" on edit, and changing the title there. Haven't tried it here yet. It is frustrating and embarrassing to realise that there is a typo in one's thread heading.
3. Basic editing option like "bold", "Itallic" and 3 simple smilies on the quick reply box and when you edit your post (without the need to choose "Go Advance" everytime)
It'd be very nice to have the link and quote icons on the quick reply. For text formatting, ctrl-B and ctrl-I work already, and are even easier than reaching for the mouse. but hey, why not to have all the basic icons!

Hi,

Regarding the "Delete" and "Edit" option, I feel the removal of those options is good per se, as we will be more cautious with our posts.

I would like to cite my experience here. I mentioned in one of my posts, about my relative's visit here with a "humorous" (what I thought) phrase, seeking advice on a DVD player. He could not buy the player as he could not find the model available there, but I insisted that the model is available there. When we tried to google by keying in the player model and the location from where he came, the second result was the post by me in hifivision. He got mad for a moment after seeing the post, but he took it in a sportive manner, as it was meant to add some humor to the post.

http://www.hifivision.com/blu-ray-d...rders/3674-oppo-981h-pioneer-dv-610-a-16.html

Now, I am very careful about what I post here as there is so reversal!

Cheers!

P.s.: I would be happy if mods can delete a portion of the thread at least!

Ok......One more

Subscription to a thread should be automated.........

4. Subscribtion to the thread should be automated, i.e the moment you reply to thread you are subscribed automatically, instead of manually going in to thread tools. To un-subscribe we can keep the manuall way...you go in to thread tools and do the same.

Ok......One more

Subscription to a thread should be automated.........

4. Subscribtion to the thread should be automated, i.e the moment you reply to thread you are subscribed automatically, instead of manually going in to thread tools. To un-subscribe we can keep the manuall way...you go in to thread tools and do the same.

You can do that...

UserCP-> Edit options

subscription.gif

hey do you plan to spend the whole goddamn day in front of HFV waiting for every refresh? :eek:hyeah: This forum is already eating into some precious amount of office time :)

:lol:Thank god you are not my boss:( This is precisely I'm asking the auto refresh option. One can login in the morning, check the posts, minimise the window & check once in a while.

It is frustrating and embarrassing to realise that there is a typo in one's thread heading.

That is why I preview my post before posting. It helps.:)

vB-based board

Forum Handle

:confused:What are these?:confused:

Forum handle just means user id. I think that the jargon comes from the radio world.

vBulletin in a widely used commercial forum software. Two forums that I frequent that both use it are indiamike.com and Team-BHP.com

:DAbility to change the Forum Handle too...only with the approval of MOD
Maximus Decimus Narelius is right. Even I would like to change my id 'santhol2' to just 'santhosh' please. I joined HFV with the handle 'S@~+#0$#', but it was changed by mod to santhol2 as I had provided my office email address([email protected]) at the time of joining. I feel odd when someone refers to me as santhol:lol:.

Some suggestions on how this can be implemented:
We PM a mod requesting a name change
Mod does the needful
Mod can update a sticky thread with whose handles has been changed to what recently

ebc1mt.jpg

Which version of Firefox you are using? I cannot see the "Reload Every" link when I right click. I am using Firefox v3.6.3.
Have you installed any plugin?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back