SVS Subwoofer Owners Thread

Hi

Finally decided to take the plunge and picked a SB1000 ..my first sealed sub. Still setting up and needs its mandatory break in..(20 to 40 hours of use). Will run Audussey soon as need to recalibrate.

Some Unboxing pics. Took almost 5-6 days to reach me due to current restrictions etc.

4373971e-83a9-4f09-99c2-5b11fe5a81d2.jpg5060fd76-b311-479e-86c4-0cea0e207e24 (1).jpg515db71f-4a81-4390-9196-66c6d9cc3ce9.jpgc5fb382e-978c-4715-8386-e7fc4da87646.jpg80707b66-0dcd-47bc-826d-3fd0ce925207.jpg098c4c9b-1e83-417a-ade2-9e8deda44bf3.jpgcad8aeb3-549e-40b0-ba29-7d2ff2163430.jpg1e86b5e4-c370-40a2-808a-94c8063c2672.jpg

Detailed review later once it is set and possible after a week of use.

Hi

Finally decided to take the plunge and picked a SB1000 ..my first sealed sub. Still setting up and needs its mandatory break in..(20 to 40 hours of use). Will run Audussey soon as need to recalibrate.

Some Unboxing pics. Took almost 5-6 days to reach me due to current restrictions etc.

View attachment 56399View attachment 56400View attachment 56402View attachment 56403View attachment 56404View attachment 56405View attachment 56406View attachment 56407

Great, let us know your impressions!

Hi

View attachment 56399View attachment 56400View attachment 56402View attachment 56403View attachment 56404View attachment 56405View attachment 56406View attachment 56407

Congrats Eddie ! Finally after the wait, time to enjoy your new gear. :)
Pls take your time and give your opinion after the break in and calibration.

Just as one would protect their mobiles with scratch guards, covers etc, same needs to be done for subs since they are at ground level and prone to accidental bumps etc if space is limited! It may look a bit ugly but safety is guaranteed.

I did this and have been doing this for all my subs....keeps the sub safe to some extent and in the best condition for a reasonable resale value in future (provided the upgrade bug bites me ;) )

This is just layer one and have ensured that the Amp plate is not covered for connections and for heat to escape! Will cover another medium to make it look neat.

d5e02332-7b15-49f0-831b-3f9670cee7da (1).jpgcae24778-58cb-42c8-b286-20fde15be6f2 (1).jpg5869841a-5185-486c-b71b-2809ea6c2d16 (1).jpg

So far calibrated and the sound is nice, smooth, needs more time for break in....so will gather my thoughts based on what I experience and provide a detailed review to help others.

Just as one would protect their mobiles with scratch guards, covers etc, same needs to be done for subs since they are at ground level and prone to accidental bumps etc if space is limited! It may look a bit ugly but safety is guaranteed.

I did this and have been doing this for all my subs....keeps the sub safe to some extent and in the best condition for a reasonable resale value in future (provided the upgrade bug bites me ;) )

This is just layer one and have ensured that the Amp plate is not covered for connections and for heat to escape! Will cover another medium to make it look neat.

View attachment 56411View attachment 56412View attachment 56413

So far calibrated and the sound is nice, smooth, needs more time for break in....so will gather my thoughts based on what I experience and provide a detailed review to help others.
Are you trying out the high level connection or will you be using the .1 lfe ?

If only HSU was available here would've jumped in a heartbeat.
HSU was available a decade ago. Audire who was the first distributor of SVS was selling the HSU, but they stopped selling them after few months as the subs produced some problem. They were not so cheap though. Even a decade ago, the HSU ULS15 was selling for more than a lakh. For reference, the SVS PB13ultra was selling for close to 1.5 lakh.

HSU was available a decade ago. Audire who was the first distributor of SVS was selling the HSU, but they stopped selling them after few months as the subs produced some problem. They were not so cheap though. Even a decade ago, the HSU ULS15 was selling for more than a lakh. For reference, the SVS PB13ultra was selling for close to 1.5 lakh.
I'd still like to have an option rather than being forced with horrible SVS pricing. What that inculcates is toxic culture, look how Rythmik followed in it's shoes.

I'd still like to have an option rather than being forced with horrible SVS pricing. What that inculcates is toxic culture, look how Rythmik followed in it's shoes.
Imho, better not be attached to any brand and be concerned only with the price to performance ratio and the service in India.
You can try XTZ or even the Rel pricing is on par with the international pricing.
In India, sadly what goes up very rarely comes down. Audio gear has become quite expensive off late due to Covid related short supply.The other causes as usual are the taxes/duties and the dealer margins.
One thing though, SVS after sales service along with their warranty is stellar and hard to beat.

Last edited:

View attachment 56411View attachment 56412View attachment 56413

Congratulations on your purchase!

Further Update...

Covered the sub again....this is the final look, will help to protect from dust, a nice wet wipe at regular periods will help.

5d2d3649-db13-4122-8b8b-5ed2035dc855.jpg898a134b-61b5-4fdd-994e-a148d5657bef.jpgad14a15d-f81c-4354-82ea-cd2b686fbdff.jpg

So far used the sub for music and movies....approx 10 hours completed...another 30+ to go for proper break in....these are the settings I kept for this sealed sub...note the phase control knob...kept at 9 O Clock position....tried 0 and 180...didnt like the sound...on this it seems fine.

7e6fda84-7f4b-46e6-8104-1652375a7bbc.jpg

Lets see over this weekend easily another 10 to 15 hours will get clocked...lets see the SQ then.

Detailed review will follow.....

Finally my simple review....hope its not a drag for readers! I am not a professional certified reviewer or writer!

Gear part of Review:

• Oppo Blu Ray Player BDP 103 (Hooked with HDMI Cables)
  • AVR – Marantz SR6010
  • Front (Main Speakers) Bose 301 Series V (Upgraded from Vintage Bose 301 III)
  • Surrounds & Centre (Def Tech)
  • Sub: Sealed SVS SB 1000 (300 Watts RMS, peak 700 watts as per specs).
  • Laptop – Hooked through braided HDMI cables (Blue Rigger). Used for YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Virtual DJ program etc etc.
  • Room Size Approx. 200 to 300 Sq. Ft.
  • Sub connected as LFE using Blue Rigger Sub cable.
  • Sub Volume 45% (AVR sub level -2db)
  • Volumes in Room for testing (Around 45 to 55 as per Marantz count , which is very room filling, as per Eco View onscreen seems around 50 to 60%).

Background:

Spent I guess almost 2 years contemplating to go for an SVS or not. Missed out on some great deals over the forum since 2019 and even a nice deal over olx along with prime satellites. Anyways I am sure I will get those soon if budget and luck permits.

I was using a BIC America Subwoofer which really served me well for the last 3+ years and prior to that another BIC model for almost 2 years. Both were ported subs and offered real VFM performance.

Arrival:

Received this sub on April 19th 2021. Packed really well, Box into Box with plastic sheet and also thermocol.

First impressions from my 11-year-old daughter who loves systems like me, found it very small and compact (a cube). Was wondering if this small thing which claims to be a monster will really fill the bass as the BIC did in the past! Built quality is top of the line, looks good, my only complaint was the short power cable, I need a 7 feet cable, so will hunt on Amazon and get one!

Setup:

Hooked it up and found first that the subwoofer plate was emitting a small level of electric current. The power supply for this sub is 2 pin and has no earthing. I checked online and it seems such compact High current subs emit some current.

Anyways I reported the concern t o Audiophile India (who look after SVS official warranty in India) and they said if required a new sub amp plate can be sent across…this is how unconditional SVS warranty works! I informed let me see if it’s a momentary issue as the shipping came through Fed Ex surface transport so some shaking up could have happened.
Professionally as a DJ faced such instances for many equipment for big shows especially when using UPS thru a Genset! Unplugged it and after 2 hours plugged it back. No current flow once Subwoofer cable was connected. Checked if AVR had any current flow as I didn't want the HDMI boards getting fried etc. Luckily nothing.

Ran Audyssey setup (32 XT version) and completed all 8 listening points. Finally, it populated a “Reference” setting which I tend to ignore as I like setting it to what pleases my ears. Set it to “FLAT”. Increased each channel by 1db (since conservative levels were set by Audyssey).

Sound Quality / Performance:

Played some music through the Oppo using CDs, HDD and Thumb Drives. I played FLAC files, Mp3s (320kbps) etc and found the sound to be punchy. Front speakers were set to Large (CrossOver Freq set to 110hz..tried 60, 80, 90 and 100 too…110 seems to balance off well). Modes used was Stereo, Multi Channel Stereo, Neural X etc. Music is best at Stereo mode unless its very late and you want to enjoy music everywhere, low volume and Multi Channel stereo works best.

Streamed through Laptop Netflix, all possible movies with action scenes...Batman , Joker, 2012, Gravity, etc etc. Modes used, Multi Channel Stereo, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital + and DD Atmos. Stellar performance. The room did vibrate for some real deep action scenes. Tried some movies through Oppo and it was a nice experience, a little better than streaming from Laptop.

Clearly the sub required some time to break in…recommended was (20 to 50 hours). Thanks to my wife who was/is still watching “The Crown” Webseries over Netflix, easily 3-4 hours a day helped to burn in. I also had my share of music and FM radio for approx. 2 hours a day. It has been 7 days now and average 5 hours…35 hours complete more or less….has helped the sub to open up well so far!

The Bose 301s lived up to my expectations of detailed sound and effects from its rear tweeters. (All you need is to place and tweak it properly..it will deliver). The 301s are rear ported, I get my missing rumble bass effect which helps to complete the frequency spectrum for my listening pleasure.

The experience with different movies / web series is awesome, nice and detailed. Not Muddy or Jarring!

Given Lockdown, for most of us its late sleeping nights (almost 2am). At low volumes I still can hear the bass for music or movies which is good!

Verdict:

If you are a pure bass head and like to hear room shaking bass with floor vibrations, you need a ported powerful sub. Sealed subs are mostly meant for those who are more into music. I tweaked the phase behind to the 9 O Clock position so to get some oomph for movies, it has helped to fill the bass void (BIC was able to do that). I guess some more hours in the next couple of weeks will definitely open the sub more.

You may need TWO SB 1000s if you want balanced bass in the room. This should be done provided you have a AVR which has a proper setup for each sub in terms of outputs and frequencies. (I believe one of our FMs had posted about this).

As per my experience using Home and professional gear for shows etc, if you want the best of bass, if you have the space and budget, get one SB1000 and one PB1000 and set the subs up, you will get the best bass..Tight as well as the rumble! Bigger rooms please see the higher models.

Bottomline a subwoofers job is to fill the missing frequencies that the fronts and other speakers can’t deliver and this SVS has done that for me. I like bass to behave as "Presence" One should feel that there is no sub in the room trying to fill/ compensate the missing low frequencies.

Conclusion

+1 to @NitinK @MaSh @spirovious @Murlidher @insane79 @sl4yer and the countless other FMs for support, encouragement and good wishes.

I think maybe SB2000 would be nice to have (a little extra 200 RMS won’t hurt anyone). Let’s see later if I plan to upgrade and get a good deal.

I had a lot of rumble bass flowing through my place with the BIC in the past including vibrations which pissed my wife at times. A Sealed sub delivers tight impact bass and does meet my requirement for movies and music. Setting it and placing it is very crucial! I was a Bass head in older times and still is to some extent, but now with age, time to mellow down a bit. But still my die-hard habits may not totally change and hence keep tweaking settings to find the sweet spot of audiophile bliss. For now, it seems fine…..further updates to follow if something GREAT happens in performance. Else this is what is my take on the SB 1000.

My next experiment is to hook the sub later not using LFE but High Level available connections. I am sure there will be some difference. That's for another day and time!

Hope this helps future buyers (if any) considering SVS subs.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back