Tannoy F1 Custom for Denon 2309

You will need to spend another 6K on speaker stands. So a 15K speaker will actually end up costing 21K. Better you go for Lithos Noa-1 2.1 system. the satellites can be screwed to the wall. The sub can be placed anywhere and forgotten.

The WFs require 70cm minimum clearance from side and rear walls. I detect problems with resonance/reflections otherwise. So minimum room dimension should be 12 feet.

Regards

Hi, I have tried various options and now fnally using HDMI to connect the pio and denon.
When I had connected the pio to denon with RCA (ana out) , i found that the bass was not good, and had to sometimes up the sub volume. But with HDMI the denon does a good bass managment, and with audyssey in "flat" settings, sounds really good.

Hi Sviyer,

You got good deal on Tany as price of frt has gone to 18k.

Guys thanks for all valuable inputs...just to add to this my room size is 12 (Width) X 20 (Length) (not sure about the length though..it might be more than 20 coz the dining area is also included in the main hall). The room is rectangular. The main listening area is nearly 12 X 15 (not more than that). Going by all the discussion will it not be quite boomy with the floorstanders if we consider the limited main listening area. Also considering Wharfe 9.4/9.6 the power rating is more than Denon 2309 output power so isn't there a danger of burnout on receiver?
I am more leaning towards 9.2. The latest edition of AV Max (Feb 09) has good reviews of Tanny F4 floorstanders (seems to be cheapest among all that were reviewed) but again living in an rented apartment with large speakers does not sound cool (as neighbours can always shout at you for the volume and bass vibrations).

Also considering Wharfe 9.4/9.6 the power rating is more than Denon 2309 output power so isn't there a danger of burnout on receiver?

I dont think this is true. Denon's 6 ohm rating will be much higher. So I think it should be able to drive the 9.6 pretty easily. Correct me if I am wrong...

I dont think this is true. Denon's 6 ohm rating will be much higher. So I think it should be able to drive the 9.6 pretty easily. Correct me if I am wrong...

Since it is 100W@8ohms, going by calculation it would be around 140 at 6 ohms which still is insufficient to drive Wharfe 9.6 (which at peak is 200).

Guys thanks for all valuable inputs...just to add to this my room size is 12 (Width) X 20 (Length) (not sure about the length though..it might be more than 20 coz the dining area is also included in the main hall). The room is rectangular. The main listening area is nearly 12 X 15 (not more than that). Going by all the discussion will it not be quite boomy with the floorstanders if we consider the limited main listening area. Also considering Wharfe 9.4/9.6 the power rating is more than Denon 2309 output power so isn't there a danger of burnout on receiver?
I am more leaning towards 9.2. The latest edition of AV Max (Feb 09) has good reviews of Tanny F4 floorstanders (seems to be cheapest among all that were reviewed) but again living in an rented apartment with large speakers does not sound cool (as neighbours can always shout at you for the volume and bass vibrations).

Tannoy flr can give heavy sound than smooth deep Bass.
Listen then select.

Monitor Audio dealers are

ARN Systems Pvt Ltd
#133, 1st Floor, M.M Road ,
Fraser Town
Bangalore 560 005. Karnataka.
India
Contact [email protected]

Telephone:+91 80 41459999

Sridhar of ARN is a member of this forum he goes by the name odyssey check with him for details.

Also check out the Usher S520 which is also in that range thk around 20k

Monitor Audio dealers are

ARN Systems Pvt Ltd
#133, 1st Floor, M.M Road ,
Fraser Town
Bangalore 560 005. Karnataka.
India
Contact [email protected]

Telephone:+91 80 41459999

Sridhar of ARN is a member of this forum he goes by the name odyssey check with him for details.

Also check out the Usher S520 which is also in that range thk around 20k

Will Usher sound equally good for movies too? I know they are sonically brilliant when music is the prime consideration.

Sorry alladinkachirag I have not heard the Usher till now though I hve been wanting to listen to them and the Monitor Audios for a long time now :eek:. Never got time. Whatever I have heard and read its definitely better for music and do not think it would be equally good for movies but You need to check that for yourself, sorry about that jus wanted to help you by giving their contact and since they also stock the Usher thought you would be interested in that too.

You will need to spend another 6K on speaker stands. So a 15K speaker will actually end up costing 21K. Better you go for Lithos Noa-1 2.1 system. the satellites can be screwed to the wall. The sub can be placed anywhere and forgotten.

The WFs require 70cm minimum clearance from side and rear walls. I detect problems with resonance/reflections otherwise. So minimum room dimension should be 12 feet.

Regards
Any idea of Noa-1 and Q10 cost in India? I sent a mail to Lithios and still awaiting reply.:(

Sorry alladinkachirag I have not heard the Usher till now though I hve been wanting to listen to them and the Monitor Audios for a long time now :eek:. Never got time. Whatever I have heard and read its definitely better for music and do not think it would be equally good for movies but You need to check that for yourself, sorry about that jus wanted to help you by giving their contact and since they also stock the Usher thought you would be interested in that too.

Oh thats okay. I will be definitely checking the options in their store. Wharfe9.2 seems to have this limitation that they cannot be kept too close to the wall (back ported). Will have to look for alternatives.

Oh thats okay. I will be definitely checking the options in their store. Wharfe9.2 seems to have this limitation that they cannot be kept too close to the wall (back ported). Will have to look for alternatives.

You can mount the 9.2s on the walls using small TV Wall brackets. This will give the speaker a distance of 12 to 18 inches from the wall that is sufficient. In addition, these wall brackets can be turned in any direction allowing you to toe in the speakers to your sitting position.

I have tried this with the PSB Alpha B1s, and they work very well indeed.

Cheers

You can mount the 9.2s on the walls using small TV Wall brackets. This will give the speaker a distance of 12 to 18 inches from the wall that is sufficient. In addition, these wall brackets can be turned in any direction allowing you to toe in the speakers to your sitting position.

I have tried this with the PSB Alpha B1s, and they work very well indeed.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat. But alas!! I live in a rented apartment..and you know how hard it is to dig into the walls of a rented apartment and if you do then be ready to shell out a lot of money to the owner at the end of your lease term. I have old speaker stands which I will be using for mounting of 9.2. Is it really necessary to keep at least 70cm from the rear wall?

alladinkachirag,

Another set of speakers you can audition are the

Mordaunt Short Avant series
or
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2(around 25k)

check them out and see if you like it. You can audition them at their dealers behind BDA complex Koramangala.

alladinkachirag,

Another set of speakers you can audition are the

Mordaunt Short Avant series
or
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2(around 25k)

check them out and see if you like it. You can audition them at their dealers behind BDA complex Koramangala.

Are you referring to the "Audio Planet" store in Koramangala?

Since it is 100W@8ohms, going by calculation it would be around 140 at 6 ohms which still is insufficient to drive Wharfe 9.6 (which at peak is 200).

I think if the speakers have high sensitivity figures like > 89db then even a 30w RMS per channel amp might be able to drive the 200W speakers well.

any comments on this idea?

Regards

Thanks Venkat. But alas!! I live in a rented apartment..and you know how hard it is to dig into the walls of a rented apartment and if you do then be ready to shell out a lot of money to the owner at the end of your lease term. I have old speaker stands which I will be using for mounting of 9.2. Is it really necessary to keep at least 70cm from the rear wall?

Yes the Manual accurately says min 70cm to 1 mtr from rear and side. I find SQ improves at these values.

Regards

Back