Tannoy F1 Custom for Denon 2309

Any idea of Noa-1 and Q10 cost in India? I sent a mail to Lithios and still awaiting reply.:(

18K. My home PC is down for chasiss change, but Lithos will probably respond with a XL sheet pricelist. Else i will mail you weekend.

cheers

Oh how much time I devote to this place and how less money I have to buy the enticing stuff...:(
I auditioned Tannoy F1 at one of my friends place. He has paired it with Denon 1909. I liked the sound and am thinking I would buy it if I had a fat purse anytime in next couple of months. Then I was also considering about the bass response of tanny's as compared to Wharfe 9.2. Again the placement factor comes into play as I cannot place the speakers too close to the rear wall. I think I would have to settle for some front ported (bass) speakers if I am looking for great bass for front else I would have to leave that stuff to the subwoofer.
Following other threads I found some of the members have paired Denon 2309/1909 with Wharfe 9.6 which I found quite surprising (forgive me guys as I just want to understand this better!). From my understanding the amp peak power rating should be higher than the speaker peak power rating else the amp may suffer. Is this true? If yes then how is it possible to drive Wharfe 9.6 safely on Denon 1909/2309 without actually using a Power Amp to drive those speakers. The peak power handling rating of Wharfe 9.6 is definitely higher than that of Denon 1909/2309.... Am I missing something here?

-Ashish

Wharfedale 9.2s are not rear firing, thye just need to be placed away and I feel the SQ improves as per recommendations in manual.

A speaker rated at 30w to 100w will play fine with a 30w per ch amp if the amp rating is not exaggerated and it can really play @30W continuously. But a speaker that scores high in sensitivity around 90db is recommended for driving amps at the lower end of the power specs. There are heavy and bulky class A amps that output only 30W at the higher end pricing spectrum that need such sensitive speakers to work well with them.

So an average 50w amp that in reality outputs only 30w per channel should work - but I heard many speakers begin to shine only when driven at the higher end of their power rating.

Atleast that is my understanding.

HTH

Last edited:
Following other threads I found some of the members have paired Denon 2309/1909 with Wharfe 9.6 which I found quite surprising (forgive me guys as I just want to understand this better!). From my understanding the amp peak power rating should be higher than the speaker peak power rating else the amp may suffer. Is this true? If yes then how is it possible to drive Wharfe 9.6 safely on Denon 1909/2309 without actually using a Power Amp to drive those speakers. The peak power handling rating of Wharfe 9.6 is definitely higher than that of Denon 1909/2309.... Am I missing something here?

Ashish,

This has been explained many times before, what you say is correct on paper. The Wharfedale 9.6 has a power handling capacity of 40 watts to 200 watts. This is at 6 ohms.

The Denon 1909 and 2309 have a power generating capacity of 90 watts and 100 watts at 8 ohms. This works out to 120 and 130 watts roughly at 6 ohms.

When a speaker manufacturer says 40 to 200 watts, what he means is that after 200 watts the speaker will start distorting sound. But the human ear will start bleeding much before that, if you continue to bombard it continuously with high amplitude sound. Generally in a room that is not noisy, if you go beyond 50 watts, you ears will start complaining. This is represented better in dB, but I don't want to confuse the issue.

At around 125 watts or so, the Denons should be able to drive the speakers much beyond our ears capability to hear comfortably. Believe me, you can never see a movie in a HT room anywhere near 200 watts per channel.

Cheers

@Venkatcr thanks for the detailed post.

So you say it is quite safe to drive higher power rating speakers (say 200 Watts) using an amps of lower wattage (say 100 watts) if not driven at higher volumes? Coz I am concerned about power matching between the two components (as one should not be a cause for blowup of the other)....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back