Tatasky HD Or Dish TV HD Or Reliance BIG TV HD Or Sun Direct HD Or Airtel HD?

we're in India and anyone can claim anything and get away with it here.

India seems to be adopting old technology and calling it new. 3G is planned when 4G is already rolled out in other countries. HD is planned when 3D TV is already out abroad. We get the left overs.
Carefull buddy, some of us here are really sensitive about any negativity towards our India, after all Mera Bharat Mahan. All this 3G/4G stuff is nothing but stuff that the corrupt westerners are using to turn brainwash you. So don't you go criticizing our culture and civilization. :rolleyes:

By the way I'm just kidding (In case someone did not catch the drift of my post).

Well in terms of technology it is still an advancement and step in the right direction.

Wish we could do similar advancement in Broadband also, as the current schemes and offer sucks big time. We have unlimited plans which are not unlimited in any way and comes with a stupid FUP. Sometimes i wonder what is the use of having 2mbps plans with FUP of 15 GB gb.

Either they themselves have not used those speeds or they feel the end users are fools.

TRAI should look into the same.

Sorry from deviating from the topic guys but i feel this is one area where we are certainly lagging behind.

Ok Guys,

Here is a nice article which states abt all the HD services in India. The most interesting thing is dat Dish TV HD is the most costliest HD service also without any Surround sound.

Suddenly everyone is going HD. Sun TV was the first to take the plunge, though with limited availability and just a handful of channels, but now all satellite TV providers seem to have joined the bandwagon. Some weeks back, when asked why that hadnt launched HD services, guys at Airtel had told me that by the time of the World Cup finals everyone would have switched over. And this is coming true with Dish TV, TataSky and Airtel all announcing the availability of their HD DTH boxes.

M_Id_161583_tech2.0.jpg

What is HD video?

I know this is a basic question and most of you will have your own set of answers. Well, technically High Definition video is any video system of higher resolution than standard definition. HD video is any image between 1280x720 pixels (also called 720p, or HD Ready) and 1920x1080 pixels (1080p, HD). Remember, the higher the pixels, the better the definition. So it is essential that your TV supports 1080 pixels for it to show real HD quality.

So what do the various HD services offer?

TataSky: The service offers 1080i, 16:9 aspect ratio and 5.1 Surround Sound. The box costs Rs 2,599 and has an installation fee of Rs 1,000 which is waived off for now, plus there are additional charges of Rs 30 per month to get the channels in HD. If you are an existing TataSky customer, you will get the High Definition Channels ESPN, Star Sports, Discovery HD World, National Geographic free for the first 12 months.

Airtel Digital TV HD: The service has 1080i and 16:9 aspect ratio. But going one up on TataSky, the Airtel box offers 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus Surround Sound, if you have a home theater capable of reproducing the signal. The box is priced at Rs 2,940, but only offers ESPN and Star Sports in High Definition. Other channels are expected to be added soon. You must also remember that though the channels are in HD, not all broadcasts are hi-definition as of now the Wimbeldon and the FIFA World Cup are in hi-definition.

DishTruHD: Rs 2,990 plus installation charges of Rs 200 + taxes. Customers are required to buy a Platinum pack with the HD Box which will put you back by Rs 325 per month, whether you like it or not. You will also have to pay for an HD Pack of Rs 100 per month, taking your monthly bill to Rs 425 + taxes, making it the costliest service in the market. The service is 1080i with 16:9 Aspect Ratio, but there is no clarity on the sound output of the box. Though Zee has two of its own channels Zee Cinema HD and Zee TV HD in addition to what the others are offering, not all content on these channels are in HD.

Big TV HD: Big TV is the only one offering an HD DVR box right now at Rs 7,490. The box offers 1080i, 16:9 aspect ratio, and 200 hours of standard definition storage on its 160 GB built-in hard disk. Only National Geographic HD is available on the HD Box for now.

Sun Direct HD: The first one off the block has announced a new package where you get the box with two-month subscription for Rs 2,940. They have SunTV and Colours in HD along with what others are offering. The Box offers 1080i, 16:9 aspect pictures, and 5.1 Stereo Sound.

The scenario is confusing with all the players jumping in to cash in on the football craze with not much additional content. The market is just evolving and it would be better to wait a few weeks to see how the players mature. Also wait for the HD recorders from the other players before upgrading. Things should look up as more channels start making and beaming content in HD. Till then, hold your guns.

Is It time to Switch to HD?

Football craze is over. Only 2 HD channels from today.

Any news on when Star Movies/World or any other English channels will be added? I hope the cricket telecasts go HD soon; let the people with the 4:3 TVs suffer now.. for a change.

Football craze is over. Only 2 HD channels from today.

FWIW I am using DishTV Tru HD STB for last 2 weeks. I can confirm that the box is crappy and a step backwards as compared to the previous STB. Here are some issues:

1. The MUTE is not honored as soon as you change channels
2. The STB needs to be powered OFF/ON every time I power on the TV otherwise I get a blank screen
3. The only HD content is available on NatGeo and Discovery. Star Sports is taken off the air and I am sure same would happen to ESPN HD. So not many HD channels.

TS people said they wont launch in kerala for atleast a month,so not many options:sad:

FWIW I am using DishTV Tru HD STB for last 2 weeks. I can confirm that the box is crappy and a step backwards as compared to the previous STB. Here are some issues:

1. The MUTE is not honored as soon as you change channels
2. The STB needs to be powered OFF/ON every time I power on the TV otherwise I get a blank screen
3. The only HD content is available on NatGeo and Discovery. Star Sports is taken off the air and I am sure same would happen to ESPN HD. So not many HD channels.

HD STB is more vulnerable to signal inconsistencies. While a single channel is being played (no channel switches), picture goes out for a second or so and then comes back. "Goes out" is seen as several random large size colored squares on the whole screen. That happens just too many times compared to old SD STB.

I too am annoyed by the need to do a power off from mains switch. I am used to doing a power off from remote (can do that for all my devices using a single button from a programmable remote). If I power on again from remote, no picture is visible. It's visible only when I do a power off-on from mains switch. Too bad.

Last edited:
TataSky: you will get the High Definition Channels ESPN, Star Sports, Discovery HD World, National Geographic free for the first 12 months.
That is not correct. ESPN HD and Star Sports HD were only event based broadcasts and thus are not free for 12 months, since so far no such channels exist.

Airtel Digital TV HD: But going one up on TataSky, the Airtel box offers 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus Surround Sound, if you have a home theater capable of reproducing the signal.
More marketing bull. '7.1 Dolby Digital Plus Surround Sound' is a misnomer as far as DTH is concerned. For, nor are there any channels equiped for this, nor is there much programming.

Airtel Digital TV HD:You must also remember that though the channels are in HD, not all broadcasts are hi-definition as of now the Wimbeldon and the FIFA World Cup are in hi-definition.
What channels is this referring to. There are no channels that show some HD programming and some SD programming. All channels are either HD or they are not.

DishTruHD: but there is no clarity on the sound output of the box.
Actually there is complete clarity on this issue. Dish Tru HD only has MONO sound.

DishTruHD: Though Zee has two of its own channels Zee Cinema HD and Zee TV HD in addition to what the others are offering, not all content on these channels are in HD.
This is totally incorrect. There is absolutely ZERO HD content on these channels and in fact these channels are not even HD. They are simply the regular SD channels upscaled to 1920*1080i. Which by the way, every HD set-top box and HD TV will do anyhow.

Sun Direct HD: They have SunTV and Colours in HD along with what others are offering.
Once agin, this is totally incorrect. These channels are not HD channels and are simply the regular SD channels upscaled to 1920*1080i.

Sun Direct HD: The Box offers 1080i, 16:9 aspect pictures, and 5.1 Stereo Sound.
What exactly is "5.1 Strereo Sound"? The meaning of the word 'stereo' defines 2 channels and 2 channels only. 5.1 channels would make it 'Surround sound' and 'NOT stereo'. Also, SunDirect HD does not have 'National Geographic HD' in DD 5.1, rather it is only 'MONO'.

As usual a very poorly written and researched article form the Indian media. Instead of educating the consumer and warning them of the lies and deceipt by the DTH companies, articles such as these only help in the cause of fooling and cheating the Indian consumer. The least people can do is atleast not post such misinformation on forums such as this, where people come to learn and find out the actual facts.

Last edited:
There is a very simple way to confirm whether a signal is mono or stereo. If you have a pre/pro with Dolby Logic then simply feed the mono/stereo signal to the pre/pro. If the signal is mono then you will only have sound coming from the center channel, which will not be the case with a stereo signal.

This is exactly what I used to determine if the HD channels were mono or in stereo. The FiFA WC broadcasts, Wimbledon were both in stereo. With DTS Neo 6 Music or PL II Music mode, I could get some good fake surround sound effects. The same is the case with Nat Geo and Discovery HD. I think the SD channels might be in mono, but I have not done many tests withh those.

Now Discovery HD & Nat Heo HD are the only 2 true HD channels on Dish Tru HD. And with the number of repeats on these 2 channels, I do not see much reason to continue the HD service.

-- no1lives4ever

Now Discovery HD & Nat Heo HD are the only 2 true HD channels on Dish Tru HD. And with the number of repeats on these 2 channels, I do not see much reason to continue the HD service.
HD channels without DD 5.1 sound is totally unacceptable. Thus, Dish TruHD will be history once the two months of free service are over. Hopefully by then there will be more clarity as to which DTH company is doing what and I will decide then which one to get installed. In any case I am stuck with the rip-off SunDirect HD service for a year anyhow.

I ahve just bought a samsung 32C530 and was wondering which HD setup to install. TS or Airtel but after going through these discussions the best option seems to wait till September for better prices and more channel. But if i buy now, say a TS HD wont they give me the new HD channels automatically, FOC?

I ahve just bought a samsung 32C530 and was wondering which HD setup to install. TS or Airtel but after going through these discussions the best option seems to wait till September for better prices and more channel. But if i buy now, say a TS HD wont they give me the new HD channels automatically, FOC?

Right now, it's not really worth upgrading if your existing setup is fine. Buying a 32" TV though, is a mistake as you'll discover soon you should have at least bought a 40".

I have a Tata Sky SD connection for my pana 42C10D, i m willing to get a HD setup box but than i have no use of my old STB as i already have 2 multiroom connection and dont need the third one .

right now Tata sky is costing me :

Semi annual super save pack , 1550 i.e arnd 258 PM
Cosmo pack = 45 PM
Life Style gold pack= 45 PM
Sports Bonanza Pack = 1350 annually i.e. 112 PM

so total is RS 460 PM

so i m paying a lot of money so as my semi super save pack is over than i ll switch to Mega pack 5500 per year (458 PM) or semi mega pack(3000 for 6 months (500 PM)

i think Tata sky bit expensicve so i m also looking to get a Airtel DTH but than i have to also by 2 additional multi room STBs and my 3TS STB will be no use for me so i want to now that if i ll stop using TS service will they buy back their STB or not.

the other thing i want to is that DTH companies are saying that u ll get 5.1 sound from their HD STB's so do ill get the 5.1 sound like we get from a DVD player. ex( do i ll get 5.1 sound from all the movie channels or not)

Kamal: Can you qualify your statement? What are others are you comparing to?

Infact, when i compared, the quality of Tata Sky Airtel etc was very similar and sun was bad in audio quality

I am planning to get a DTH service for my house and I have shortlisted Tata Sky HD and Airtel HD Dth. I must say that I am inclined towards Airtel due to the lower cost. But, I am in a dilemma over the following points (based on priority). My main priority is HD transmission.

1. Airtel offers one HD channel while Tata Sky offers 2. Is Airtel going to launch Discovery HD channel anytime? Is it worth waiting for them both to launch new channels.

When other service providers are providing 2 channels (true HD, not upscaled), why can't Airtel do that?:sad:

2. Tata Sky is a bit expensive considering that I have to invest extra on sports channels apart from the base package, while Airtel supposedly provides most channels at a better price. This was a reason I was inclined towards Airtel

3. Some members of the forum had posted that Airtel discontinued it's free topups and asked the user to pay for them even if they have paid for a year in advance. Has this problem been rectified or is it still on?

4. Picture Quality - I have seen Tata Sky (SD) and I liked the picture quality. I have not seen Airtel PQ as yet, but which is better in terms of picture quality(both SD & HD)?

Btw, I have a plasma tv. Someone here mentioned that Airtel has its logo on the TV which might be retained on the screen (image retention?), while Tata Sky has a transparent logo. Does this make a difference at all?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back