Tatasky HD Or Dish TV HD Or Reliance BIG TV HD Or Sun Direct HD Or Airtel HD?

I am using DISH DTH, and now would be getting free Airtel HD with new PLasma....

In dilema is I should sell out both n buy TATA.. or use Airtel HD..

can someone guide?

I am planning to get a DTH service for my house and I have shortlisted Tata Sky HD and Airtel HD Dth. I must say that I am inclined towards Airtel due to the lower cost. But, I am in a dilemma over the following points (based on priority). My main priority is HD transmission.

1. Airtel offers one HD channel while Tata Sky offers 2. Is Airtel going to launch Discovery HD channel anytime? Is it worth waiting for them both to launch new channels.

Airtel has ran out of TP space, recently they added SD channels but also removed few. Discovery HD may be added.

Also dont forget that TS has mentioned in the website dat Star Plus HD and Star Movies HD will be added soon.

When other service providers are providing 2 channels (true HD, not upscaled), why can't Airtel do that?:sad:

2. Tata Sky is a bit expensive considering that I have to invest extra on sports channels apart from the base package, while Airtel supposedly provides most channels at a better price. This was a reason I was inclined towards Airtel

Yes TS is expensive but I'd rather advice u to go for Annual Mega pack which will cost arnd Rs 460 pm and u'll get all channels.

3. Some members of the forum had posted that Airtel discontinued it's free topups and asked the user to pay for them even if they have paid for a year in advance. Has this problem been rectified or is it still on?

No idea

4. Picture Quality - I have seen Tata Sky (SD) and I liked the picture quality. I have not seen Airtel PQ as yet, but which is better in terms of picture quality(both SD & HD)?

Both have similar PQ, personally for me. HD channels are stunning in both

Btw, I have a plasma tv. Someone here mentioned that Airtel has its logo on the TV which might be retained on the screen (image retention?), while Tata Sky has a transparent logo. Does this make a difference at all?

Doesnt make any difference

Now u can decide urself.

Yesterday i called TS customer care and after 3-4 attempts finaaly i was able to connect and than i asked the TS guy that i want to upgrade from my SD box to the HD one but i dont want to keep the SD box so will u buy it back or not and the answer was NO.
so now i m confused wether to buy the TS HD or not also they are not givinng any special discount to thier existing subscribers.

so what u guys suggest.

Yesterday i called TS customer care and after 3-4 attempts finaaly i was able to connect and than i asked the TS guy that i want to upgrade from my SD box to the HD one but i dont want to keep the SD box so will u buy it back or not and the answer was NO.
so now i m confused wether to buy the TS HD or not also they are not givinng any special discount to thier existing subscribers.

so what u guys suggest.

My experience with DishTV upgrade has been bad. Read more about it in another thread. It seems they (TS, DishTV) generally don't want people to upgrade. Not sure why this would be the case. DishTV got a working old SD STB for Rs. 400 from me. That should be a good deal for them as well. After all a customer facing a problem with their SD STBs can take that as a replacement. DishTV franchise should earn a decent profit in this process. I guess I don't really understand how their revenue/expense works.

The only benefit you get as an existing TS customers is that u get the HD package free for 1 yr. Though right now its only 2 channels but they will eventual add more and you are at least shielded against any price hike for HD channels(which is Rs.30 currently but might increase substantially once they start adding more channels..esp. movie channels.

Also i received a call/an offer from TS to pay 3600 for ALL the channels for a year(which i think is ~ 5500 otherwise)..maybe they saw that i recharged my a/c after a year(i had moved over to Airtel IPTV) and didn't want to lose me again :)

Also i received a call/an offer from TS to pay 3600 for ALL the channels for a year(which i think is ~ 5500 otherwise)..maybe they saw that i recharged my a/c after a year(i had moved over to Airtel IPTV) and didn't want to lose me again :)

Wow that's a great offer! Where do you live? Anything special you did other than rejoin?

The only benefit you get as an existing TS customers is that u get the HD package free for 1 yr. Though right now its only 2 channels but they will eventual add more and you are at least shielded against any price hike for HD channels(which is Rs.30 currently but might increase substantially once they start adding more channels..esp. movie channels.

great deal :licklips: grab it and give them my no. as a reference :D

i live in noida. and yep i grabbed the offer with both hands :)..will surely ask about the offer/if its available to others ..if they call again.

I got my TATA SKY HD installed today(5 hours after ordering the same) for rs. 2600 and 200 for additional 20mts of wiring for my old STB(that i used in my Dad's TV) also got 2 month subscription for that STB and 1 year free suscription of HD package.

until know the HD channels alre still not activated(atlest take 24 hrs to do so) but the PQ for other channles is also better campared to old SD STB.
rest i ll post my reivews after seeing PQ of HD channels.

Whats the update Anil?

well the HD channels are now on and the PQ is great, watched some HD program on Net geo HD and the PQ was so detailed and mindblowing than you can even notice Jeff crowns badly bruised hands and fingures :D but as far as sound (i donr have a latest home theater) so my old HT prgrade stereo 2 channel out put to 5.1 channel out put) its not very good to me may be its only beacuse of my HT but still sound its pretty low compared to other SD channels.

also all the other channels are upscaled to 1080i(i think) because whenever i switch on my TV with tata sky it says 1080i input.

So i dont think its a bad idea to get good HD STB with a stylish black look and small remote and 2 HD channels(Net geo HD) is best out of two for just 2600 bucks.

so its 10/10 to it from me.

Yeah, this investment will not get bad anyday. In India though we always have to wait a bit long but what ever options we have, its going somewhere atleast. Make sure u have a good TV as well and use all good quality cables. The chain is as weak as the weakest link.

Upgrade to BIG HD DVR or buy TS HD?

Guys

I currently have a BIG SD and I wish to upgrade to HD .. I can opt for BIG HDDVR which would cost me Rs. 4990 - Rs. 500 (discount for existing BIG customers). A new TSHD connection would cost me Rs. 2600.

For BIG HD-DVR:

1. Upgrade discount of Rs. 500
2. Familiar support, channel package, recharging etc...
3. Recording feature (though not sure how much I would use)
4. If I buy TS, then what to do with BIG- have to sell or gift it to somebody- installation charges would be levied..

For TS HD:

1. Two true HD channels against one in BIG
2. Less by Rs. 1900 though no recorder is available

So you can see the kind of confusion I have. :sad: Any advises?

Re: Upgrade to BIG HD DVR or buy TS HD?

Guys

I currently have a BIG SD and I wish to upgrade to HD .. I can opt for BIG HDDVR which would cost me Rs. 4990 - Rs. 500 (discount for existing BIG customers). A new TSHD connection would cost me Rs. 2600.

For BIG HD-DVR:

4. If I buy TS, then what to do with BIG- have to sell or gift it to somebody- installation charges would be levied..

For TS HD:

if i m not wrong i can see lots of people have suggested and choosen TS HD over other HD DTH providers, as you already kow that there are only 2 HD channels right now in TS HD and i dont even know when the next HD channles will e added next.
the other factor is money, TS HD will cost a new subscriber for RS 2600 + 2 months free subscription of HD channels(i.e. Rs 60)
if you want to see all the channels in TS you need to pay atleast arnd 450 to 500 PM, i dont know this cost for BIG TV
I m a TS HD user for last few weeks and i m really enjoying it, other SD channels are also OK
but as you already have BIG SD and it will be a waste of your old SD box if u switch to TS (but it will still be waste for u if dont want to use ur old SD box for another TV or the BIG TV will buy replace it with the HD one and give u some additional discount)

so u have all the factors here now its your choice

Re: Upgrade to BIG HD DVR or buy TS HD?

Guys

For BIG HD-DVR:

For TS HD:

My advice, especially if you need the recorder function of the STB, would be to pay the extra money and exchange your old box with the Reliance HD DVR box. Otherwise you'd have to sell/gift your Reliance SD box and and start from scratch with TS.

Last edited:
Well the main advantage big tv HD is apart from being a HD-PVR is the picture quality.
It will be a downgrade if you go with TS HD in terms of SD channel quality.
Big tv uses the least amount of channels /transponder,so with lesser compression= better quality.

yesterday I decided to buy TS HD and give away my BIG TV to my colleague staying one floor down so that there is no hassle of re-installation. Now looking at adder's remarks that the PQ in TS is poorer than BIG, I am again confused.

I am not interested in DVR as of now. Either retain BIG for some more time or go with TSHD. What other TS/ BIG users have to say, is there any significant difference which can be seen on screen?

Well big tv is also supposed to launch a HD STB without PVR in the coming months.Considering how competitively the HD-PVR is priced the big HD stb may also turn out to be the cheapest.
Put up a the query in saveondish.com forums .

I cant figure out why we need to by DVR, you cant even get the content out of STB and watch it on other TV or can share it with others and just to watch repeat telecast of some thing one has to pay 3 to 4K extra. in recent there is hardly any program on TV that is not repeated again and again.

so for me there is no need to addition money for a feature that is so lilimted.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back