TATASKY+ ::::: YPbPr (Component Video) distorted

senthilsss

All:

I bought a Component Video cable (YPbPr) expecting it would give better quality output than Composite Video cable (Yellow).

However, I am disappointed that YPbPr actually gave me grainy output than Yellow cable.

Is there anything I should do in my TS+ or LCD to get a better output?

PS: When I connected, YPbPr in my LG DVD Player to SONY LCD, I got a very good quality output.

Thanks
Senthil

@spirovious:

I have only one Component Video Out in TS+ and one Component Video in Sony NX500. I connected the cables after double checking the colors. My Sony detected the cable and said the resolution as 576i/SD. However, I noticed that PQ was bit lower than my Composite Video. I switched between these two and checked again along with wife/son suspecting my eye sight. :lol:

They also felt Composite Video is better than Component Video. That's why I have a feeling that I might be doing something wrong in my settings in TS+ or Sony 40NX500.

Well, both are PAL...but will do a double check on this today.

Please let me know.

FWIW I hardly see any difference using the component video of the sky+ in my 40" sony LCD vs the regular sky (I have both connected to 2 diff tvs) . In fact the PQ is pretty awful on the sky+ and I prefer watching TV on a SD CRT. I cannot wait for HD to show up on Tata sky.
Cheers
Sid

The cable cost me Rs.599/- in Croma, Bangalore. They told me that they also have Panasonic but out of stock that time.

The same cable gives superlative output when I connected through my LG DVD player.

So, I am assuming the cable is not the problem here.

I am using a mono price component which IMO is a decent cable. Still no improvement in PQ over composite. So I tend to agree that cable is not the culprit, yet I am open to upgrading the cable if that is what it takes.
Cheers
Sid

Senthil:

Given the fact that the same cable and TV works well with a DVD Player, the issue could either be in the settings or in the TS STB. Try the following:

1. See of you can adjust the resolution in the TC STB. Start from 480 and increase it step by step to see what you get. when it start getting grainy, you have reached the limit.

2. If you cannot do this on the STB, see if you can adjust the settings on the TV.

3. Also switch between Interlaced and Progressive in the same resolution.

If none of these help you, I guess it is time to call TS and scream at them.

Cheers

Senthil:

Given the fact that the same cable and TV works well with a DVD Player, the issue could either be in the settings or in the TS STB. Try the following:

1. See of you can adjust the resolution in the TC STB. Start from 480 and increase it step by step to see what you get. when it start getting grainy, you have reached the limit.

2. If you cannot do this on the STB, see if you can adjust the settings on the TV.

3. Also switch between Interlaced and Progressive in the same resolution.

If none of these help you, I guess it is time to call TS and scream at them.

Cheers

I don't know if there are different models of tatasky+, but mine does not have any special settings for adjusting resolution et al. would be thrilled if you could give some info as to how to access these settings.

I found component to be a significant step up over composite, better colours, better edge definition. noise is more visible; as is the blockiness; but it is mostly mpeg2 noise due the low bandwidth video bitstream. I guess you can say more visible noise is also a good indication that you have a sharper picture ;-)

for me, the TV's mpeg noise reduction works well (LG LC37R) and the DCDi interlacer is also good... it's nowhere near dvd quality, but it is way better than composite.

OP: you could try fiddling with the video noise-reductions settings on your TV. turning down the sharpness also helps.

regards

Component out is capable of resolutions up to 1080i. But that does not mean that we will automatically get better output. I am suspecting that TS+ component out may not give any significant advantage. But I am speculating - I do not have TS+.

But whatever, it should not give "distorted" output. It wouldn't do any harm to check for loose connections.

@kapvin:

I don't remember seeing any settings for resolution in TS+, but may be there in my SONY NX500. I need to check that out.

And also, I guess you are right. May be, I am seeing more noise because of sharper picture. By default, MPEG noise reduction is ON in the Sony. I will check it one more time. I will also try to reduce the sharpness and get back.

@just4kix:

Composite Video is capable of producing only 476i (closer to this not the exact) resolution, where as Component Video has the capability of 1080i but TS+ provides the output at the rate of 576i. So, we should see better PQ when we connect Component Video. My thoughts.

Last edited:
Since TV has different settings per connection, maybe setting that you are using for AV1/AV2 connections are different from Component 1/2/3.

@kapvin:

I don't remember seeing any settings for resolution in TS+, but may be there in my SONY NX500. I need to check that out.

And also, I guess you are right. May be, I am seeing more noise because of sharper picture. By default, MPEG noise reduction is ON in the Sony. I will check it one more time. I will also try to reduce the sharpness and get back.

@just4kix:

Composite Video is capable of producing only 476i (closer to this not the exact) resolution, where as Component Video has the capability of 1080i but TS+ provides the output at the rate of 576i. So, we should see better PQ when we connect Component Video. My thoughts.
As I said, I was speculating.

I am not sure but I think that 480i/480p is the NTSC US SD standard while the European PAL SD standard is 576i/576p.

Check the signal on LCD,what it shows?
I can check that with info button,I get 576i with composite(dishtv)
I have found one thing with my old DVDp which cant upscale that PQ with video out was Bright,sharp & same with component out was rich is colour,little soft & dark.

@NetFreak:

Good tip! I will check that and get back.

@just4kix:

You are right about the standards. I will check.

@spirovious:

I am going to check the resolution today again. I remember seeing 576i when I switched to Component Video. Sony displays {576i/SD} for Component, however for Composite it just displays {SD}.

The problem with all DTH service is with the high level of image compression so changing the connection from composite to component will not help much......8-((
Wait for HD to arrive and prices to fall.......

I have the same issue with my TS+. The Sony telecast of the IPL is HORRENDOUS! Every time they pan, the screen dissolves into snow..well almost!

I have been using TS+ now for over 14 months, and I have noticed the PQ has been deteriorating all the time!

The only reason I am still on TS+ is for their implementation of the PVR, and in some small part to their approachable customer support. The day anyone else gives me a better option and I will jump that very instant! WAKE UP TS!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back