TATASKY+ ::::: YPbPr (Component Video) distorted

The only reason I am still on TS+ is for their implementation of the PVR, and in some small part to their approachable customer support.
Airtel IPTV has a much better 'PVR' implementation than TataSky.

The day anyone else gives me a better option and I will jump that very instant! WAKE UP TS!
'Sun Direct HD' is a 'much better' option.

Airtel IPTV has a much better 'PVR' implementation than TataSky.

'Sun Direct HD' is a 'much better' option.

Will be great if you can explain the how/why - both their websites make no mention of any PVRs

Apparently TS+ continues to remain the largest selling (only?) PVR solution. I would like it if Sun can give better solution though - their bouquet of Malayalam channels is more comprehensive.

Secondly I will NEVER deal with AIRTEL... I just don't like their attitude!

Last edited:
Airtel IPTV provides a feature called timeshift. You can watch most TV programs upto one week old. This is better than PVR.

Check here: Timeshift from Airtel Digital TV

With Airtel IPTV, you get landline, broadband and TV all in one. They have excellent packages. I was willing to go for this but Airtel is not able to provide service in my area.

Airtel IPTV has very limited coverage. Not sure if there is coverage outside the NCR area. Atleast not there in Blr, so no point for others.

I am not sure if IPTV allows stuff like recording an entire serial or choosing what you record, does it?

Yes. Coverage is a problem. Exactly what I said in my post.

But in timeshift, we do not record anything. Airtel does that automatically for you for almost all channels. We can sift through the timeshift menu and select the channel and program that we wish to watch.

But in timeshift, we do not record anything. Airtel does that automatically for you for almost all channels. We can sift through the timeshift menu and select the channel and program that we wish to watch.

Okay.. I see this is available only over 41 'selected' channels, and 'very soon' the same apparently will be available over 'lots more'. Second glaring problem is the 7 day limit..... but does this allow me to play back these programs whenever I want (as in I should not have to define a viewing time - difficult now-a-days)... interrupt it as many times as I want... pause, rewind, fast forward etc multiple times? If not - it can no way compare, or compete, with a PVR.

And you still have not mentioned how exactly Sun Direct HD is 'much better' option (esp with just two channels truly HD - and at that price - and with no PVR!!)

Last edited:
Okay.. I see this is available only over 41 'selected' channels, and 'very soon' the same apparently will be available over 'lots more'. Second glaring problem is the 7 day limit..... but does this allow me to play back these programs whenever I want (as in I should not have to define a viewing time - difficult now-a-days)... interrupt it as many times as I want... pause, rewind, fast forward etc multiple times? If not - it can no way compare, or compete, with a PVR.

Within the 7 day time limit you can play the time-shift recorded channels anyway you like just like a PVR. You can use all the functions like Stop and restart (but restart will happen from beginning again), rewind, FF, etc.

And you still have not mentioned how exactly Sun Direct HD is 'much better' option (esp with just two channels truly HD - and at that price - and with no PVR!!)

I did not say that. sanjay0864 said that. :)

Within the 7 day time limit you can play the time-shift recorded channels anyway you like just like a PVR. You can use all the functions like Stop and restart (but restart will happen from beginning again), rewind, FF, etc.

Oh.. Thats good! Lets see how long they will take to offer it across the entire bouquet of channels - at least all the ones that I watch!

I did not say that. sanjay0864 said that. :)

Opps... Meant to quote him and ended up quoting your quote! Sorry! :p

The fight with the urge to ditch TS is a daily affair - every evening when watching IPL!! Horribly pixelated, artifact-ridden transmission!

Last edited:
Re: TATASKY+ ::::: YPbPr (Component Video) distorted - Problem resolved

Folks,

The problem is resolved.

(1) Connect the component cable
(2) Set the MPEG Noise Reduction to High
(3) Reduce the Sharpness to optimum level (10/30)

The PQ is good now and I can see the difference in color quality.

Thanks a lot for your support!

For others, who hijacked the thread to discuss between TS+ and Airtel....good information. Thank you! ;)

Without getting into too much details, let me just say, that the two, 'advertisement free', HD channels, 'Discovery HD' & 'National Geographic HD' in addition to the IPL matches in HD, by themselves make 'Sun Direct HD' a better option, atleast for me. Secondly, the quality of the other regular SD channels is also far superior on 'Sun Direct HD' compared to all other DTH operators. The 'Sun Direct HD' set-top box is far superior to the absolutely crap boxes of all the other DTH operators. Bottom line, if money is the only criteria, buy anything else, but if it's quality you are looking for, then buy 'Sun Direct HD'. The expensive DVR set-top box from Tata-Sky does not even have a HDMI output nor does it support HD. Thus when they do finally launch HD, you will have to buy a new HD set-top box and it will be atleast as expensive as the 'Sun Direct HD' box, if not more.

Without getting into too much details, let me just say, that the two, 'advertisement free', HD channels, 'Discovery HD' & 'National Geographic HD' in addition to the IPL matches in HD, by themselves make 'Sun Direct HD' a better option, atleast for me. Secondly, the quality of the other regular SD channels is also far superior on 'Sun Direct HD' compared to all other DTH operators. The 'Sun Direct HD' set-top box is far superior to the absolutely crap boxes of all the other DTH operators. Bottom line, if money is the only criteria, buy anything else, but if it's quality you are looking for, then buy 'Sun Direct HD'. The expensive DVR set-top box from Tata-Sky does not even have a HDMI output nor does it support HD. Thus when they do finally launch HD, you will have to buy a new HD set-top box and it will be atleast as expensive as the 'Sun Direct HD' box, if not more.

Advt free HD channels is definitely great for those who watch those channels.

The tatasky+ box costs more due to hard disk. Also it really doesnt make sense to have a HDMI in it, since it is SD

Re: TATASKY+ ::::: YPbPr (Component Video) distorted - Problem resolved

Folks,

The problem is resolved.

(1) Connect the component cable
(2) Set the MPEG Noise Reduction to High
(3) Reduce the Sharpness to optimum level (10/30)

The PQ is good now and I can see the difference in color quality.

Thanks a lot for your support!

Hey, where are these settings in the Tata SKY+ digibox?

The tatasky+ box costs more due to hard disk. Also it really doesnt make sense to have a HDMI in it, since it is SD
Actually that is not correct at all. DTH is a digital technology and so are Plasmas and LCD, thuus logically and technically a digital connection between the two will always be superior and this has nothing to do with, whether the signal is SD or HD. Why would you want to convert the digital signal beamed down from a DTH satellite to analog before sending it to a digital (Plasma or LCD) display which has to convert the analog signal back to digital anyhow before it can display it. By the way this Digital -> Analog -> Digital takes a toll on the audio video quality which would be totally avoided if a HDMI connection is used between the DTH set-top box and the plasma or LCD tv.

PS: It really is beyond my comprehension why everyone wants to buy a HD tv in this country, but do not have any inclination to try and get a HD source to watch on that HD tv. The strange part is that, the old CRT televisions show a far superior SD picture than the HD tvs being sold today.

By the way this Digital -> Analog -> Digital takes a toll on the audio video quality which would be totally avoided if a HDMI connection is used between the DTH set-top box and the plasma or LCD tv.
Thanks for the explanation. I agree.

PS: It really is beyond my comprehension why everyone wants to buy a HD tv in this country, but do not have any inclination to try and get a HD source to watch on that HD tv.
oh well, some use it for watching DVD in better quality. Some wants to be future proof, when they get HD channels (current list is not sufficient). Some are plain uninformed !

PS: It really is beyond my comprehension why everyone wants to buy a HD tv in this country, but do not have any inclination to try and get a HD source to watch on that HD tv. The strange part is that, the old CRT televisions show a far superior SD picture than the HD tvs being sold today.

So true! has been a constant source of befuddlement to me as well!

Does it allow you to fast forward through Ads?

oops.. shouldn't say this... my livelihood depends on you watching those ads (And buying the stuff advertised therein..):p

Yes! You can fast forwards all advertisements while watching programs via 'timeshift'. In fact, in our house, we now very rarely watch anything in real time. Reason being that we can fast forward the advertisements. There is another major bonus in not watching channels in real time, there is no 'obnoxious' Airtel logo superimposed onto the screen when watching programs via 'Timeshift'.

oops.. shouldn't say this... my livelihood depends on you watching those ads (And buying the stuff advertised therein..):p

Definitely. You can FF anything - ad's, boring bits, previously watched content, etc.

By pressing the "->" key, each time the speed increases twice: 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x. 32x is the max. Pressing "->" key again, takes the speed back to 1x. You can revert to 1x by pressing the center "OK" button.

FWIW I hardly see any difference using the component video of the sky+ in my 40" sony LCD vs the regular sky (I have both connected to 2 diff tvs) . In fact the PQ is pretty awful on the sky+ and I prefer watching TV on a SD CRT. I cannot wait for HD to show up on Tata sky.
Cheers
Sid

I have a sony 25" CRT(2 yrs old) connected to my TataSky set top box with composite cables-PQ is quite good.Are there any other options for video cables that might improve PQ

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back