TECHNICS DIRECT DRIVE TT MODEL SL D-21 Reviews needed

mstillalive

Hello all,

I am a complete noob to the TT world and was wondering if someone could help me understand how good is the TECHNICS DIRECT DRIVE TT MODEL SL D-21 as a Turntable. I see one listed under the classifieds and any thoughts/opinions will be much appreciated. Also, what are the upgrade possibilities available ?

Cheers
~m

Hello all,

I am a complete noob to the TT world and was wondering if someone could help me understand how good is the TECHNICS DIRECT DRIVE TT MODEL SL D-21 as a Turntable. I see one listed under the classifieds and any thoughts/opinions will be much appreciated. Also, what are the upgrade possibilities available ?

Cheers
~m
Technics TTs are always considered good and they are better than modern day plasticky turn tables. Upgrades you can always do with the cartridges.

Here are the tech specs:

Technics SL-D21 Manual - Fully-Automatic Direct-Drive Turntable System - Vinyl Engine

Specifications:
Type: semi automatic
Drive method: direct drive
Motor: brushless DC servo
Drive control: FG servo control
Platter: 312mm aluminium die-cast
Speeds: 33 and 45rpm
Wow and flutter: 0.025% WRMS
Rumble: -78dB
Tonearm type: straight, static balanced with plug-in connector
Effective length: 230mm
Overhang: 15mm
Dimensions: 430 x 110 x 375mm
Weight: 4.4kg

However, no personal experience with this player.

It might not be the right thing to ask for opinions on the open forum about an item put up for sale by a fellow FM. Should someone jeopardise the sale by a negative view? Or conversely, praise it to the skies ? You're really on your own in such matters - with Google as your best guide.

Just out of curiosity - are we breaking the forum rules by asking for feedback? i was in a similar dellima regarding a speaker on sale, but refrained from asking due to the same reason you mention! if i put myself in the seller's shoe would i like to hear negative feedback, No! but as a buyer i may heavily rely on fellow FMs the very reason we visit this forum so often. I realize however, that we could ask for feedback on the equipment/model in question without having to mention the classified part, that is just beating the system! i'm thinking to myself loudly are we shying away from being "open"?

Last edited:
It might not be the right thing to ask for opinions on the open forum about an item put up for sale by a fellow FM. Should someone jeopardise the sale by a negative view? Or conversely, praise it to the skies ? You're really on your own in such matters - with Google as your best guide.
hi G401fan,
In hindsight it is indeed not the 'wise' thing to ask for in the forum. As a due deligence i did try to look up for reviews but nothing much really turned up. I should have had not mentioned the For sale bit. Did I break Forum rules though ?
If so, I shall be more careful going forward.

Cheers
~m

Not sure about the forum rules, just thought it logical from a seller's point of view. Not that a prospective buyer should be denied information relevant to his potential purchase, but perhaps this could be sought in a more discreet manner, maybe by reaching out through PM posts to FMs they know, or to those they think might be more knowledgable. No self respecting FM is likely to post a negative review on the open forum about anything offered for sale by another FM, but, who knows, they just might be more forthcoming in a PM. Likewise, for something positive.

With all due respect to all forum members, Like i said earlier, perhaps it was not a wise post. Having said that, would I rather be intrusive and send personal messages or instead choose to open a thread and let people decide if they wish to comment or ignore, i would choose the later . Additionally, the review was for the product not the individual selling it. I do fail to understand why would a review be tied up to an individual's self respect? Hypothetically speaking if a particular item on sale is not worth the money or effort( in case it is some sort of barter ) would it not be unfair to deny the buyer an information that you already have? If a forum should be fair to a seller, it should be fair to buyer as well. As i said earlier, the review was for product.
Or would you rather let a buyer ( and a relatively new one at that ) be short changed because you thought an honest review would be unfair to the seller? All i wanted to do was to make an informed decision!
cheers
~m

I think as per the forum rules which were changed sometime back FM's were not allowed to post comments/enquiries on the sale thread and instead were asked to send PM. But as the OP suggested I think getting this information through a separate thread should be fine as long as it does not comment on the sale in question.

Edit: Forgot to add that I brought my one and only TT which is listed in my signature from Shafic a very nice guy and a TT lover.

Last edited:
Any of the Technics direct drives are a good buy if they are in good condition and decently maintained. When buying turntables, keep an eye on the tonearm and type of cartridge. These are very important factors in a turntable's performance.

Its not fair to comment on a sale thread on the forum but I can definitely say that whatever transactions I've had with FM Shafic have always been completely hassle-free and pleasurable experiences.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back