Thank God, its Winters...

ishlesh

Hi All,

First look on the thread title, and thinking what has this forum to do with Winters...

But I have always waited for winters to enjoy my music, since winters ensure all your Fans/ ACs are switched OFF, and you can enjoy your hi-fi in a noise free surroundings.

Couple of years back I replaced the Window AC of my Living Room (The Room in which my system rests) with an Split AC - just to ensure minimum noise interference in Summers, and was much pleased (I seldom run ceiling Fan above 1st level on regulator).

But still yearn for Winters/ Monsoon during Summers, so that I can shut both these down (AC / Fan), and have real pleasure of music....

Any comments:)

Hi,

It is good to listen music in winters as we do not use fan, ac, etc. and therefore no unwanted noice. The main problem is with powoer interruptions which is too frequent in winter.

rgds,
Venu

Besides winter is a:

time to go for Jazz concert; (Jazz utsav boosted morale ! )

time when one go into the 'depression mode'

and so a time to enjoy 'Kind of Blue' to reclaim your spirit;

a time to salivate on the X'mas electronics sale at Singapore !

a time to eat more ground nuts ( along with couple of your favourite drinks) !

a time to draft new year resolution ( that I will not indulge in electronics shopping this year) ; above all a time to lick the wounds of the past year !

So enjoy winter !

Regards,

vjc

A pity Chennai really does not have a season called 'Winter'. On most years, there is summer and then a slightly milder version of it with interspersed showers.

Then there is another version of a classical Chennai season. Hot during summer and pouring cats, dogs and buffalos when it should be winter. It can be real messy during these times. And with the infrastructure here, driving around can be really dangerous.

Absolutely - I agree 100%. Was listening to music other day and felt like my system dynamics had improved significantly as there was no stupid ac noise:lol:. Ofcourse the shot of scotch could aslo be the reason:clapping:
Cheers
Sid

I envy audiophiles in Bangalore.....throughout the year except for maybe a month or two, the weather is uniformly pleasant and dry.....so you can sit in a room without an AC or fan and listen to music.

In Chennai there is a window between December 15th and January 15th when you can try this....and you might still be a bit uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any ideas on the most silent split ACs available? or should i make that another thread?

I am using Hitachi split a/c's in my house, they are quite good, they have an option of silent mode, which helps a lot while watching movies or listening to music. Diakan too is quite silent, there will be more brands which are quite silent.

The people living in places like Shimla, etc are very lucky that way, they do not require fan through out the year, so a/c is like a alien there.

V.

I envy audiophiles in Bangalore.....throughout the year except for maybe a month or two, the weather is uniformly pleasant and dry.....so you can sit in a room without an AC or fan and listen to music.

In Chennai there is a window between December 15th and January 15th when you can try this....and you might still be a bit uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any ideas on the most silent split ACs available? or should i make that another thread?

You should make another thread alright:)! But quickly in the economical range you have Carrier. If you want to spend a little extra for further refinement, there is Hitachi. And then if you are absolutely particular you have OGeneral! Thats about it.

Just to put things in perspective here - Do we all mean to say that in concert halls, auditoriums and other places where live music or concerts are played, there are no ACs or ceiling fans...or crowd murmurs or rustlings? Do we enjoy the music any less because of these background noises?

Maybe finding the 'optimum','synergistic' AC/fan , whose noise tonal characteristics match the 'refined smoothness' of your audio system is carrying things a bit too far? :rolleyes:

In Central Airconditioning it is general practice to Acoustically insulate the supply air duct from the AC Blower to the first Outlet opening. This cuts down the air noise substantially. Also the air velocity in the duct, is restricted to the limit it begins to create noise and vibration.

Also the split AC can be acoustically treated to avoid noise, subject to availability of space inside, at least theoritically.

N.Murali

while i agree with you that in concert halls there are usually extraneous sounds, perhaps the fact of it being a live performance compensates for it, because even while keeping this perspective in mind it is undeniable that the enjoyment that you get from your stereo is much higher if you can turn off your AC and your fan. The difference in the experience is 'night and day' for me personally :)...and i'm not even that discerning.

Just to put things in perspective here - Do we all mean to say that in concert halls, auditoriums and other places where live music or concerts are played, there are no ACs or ceiling fans...or crowd murmurs or rustlings? Do we enjoy the music any less because of these background noises?

Maybe finding the 'optimum','synergistic' AC/fan , whose noise tonal characteristics match the 'refined smoothness' of your audio system is carrying things a bit too far? :rolleyes:

From my limited knowledge, Daikin (don't know the model) and General ('Stealth' i think)...

Ajinkya, I would invite you to go to a concert hall without A/C in Chennai and try and enjoy the concert. I can tell you that that is a physical impossibility. I dont know if you have visited Chennai, but the humidity here is what it is. And yes ceiling fans intrude into the audio experience in a significant way. A/Cs not so much. At least for me.

one more strategy i sometimes use is called the "ice box" strategy. My listening room cum bedroom (no bed only mattress) has an old Godrej window AC (with a reciprocating compressor, not even a rotary compressor)....it's a noisy beast......but it cools well and fast.....so i set the temperature to 16....and leave it on for an hour, then switch it off. That gives me at least one hour of AC-less, fan-less pleasant listening.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back