The Movies I Liked

"Ye kaali kaali ankhein" on netflix.... what a load of crap. The series thinks it is showing something great when actually it is as generic as any UP Political gundaism torturing love stories which we have seen a zillion times already. It doesnt even reach a minimum level conclusion by end of last episode. Just a cliffhanger for next season such overconfidence ! A serious borefest. Avoid at all costs

"Ye kaali kaali ankhein" on netflix.... what a load of crap. The series thinks it is showing something great when actually it is as generic as any UP Political gundaism torturing love stories which we have seen a zillion times already. It doesnt even reach a minimum level conclusion by end of last episode. Just a cliffhanger for next season such overconfidence ! A serious borefest. Avoid at all costs
Commiserations sir

For someone who has watched 4 episodes and debating is it worth completing the series. This is really helpful ;) Although, I was hoping it will end with a bang.

The Ghost Writer : A very intriguing political thriller by Polanski. Ewan Macgregor ( he is not named in the movie ) is hired by a publisher to ghostwrite the memoirs of a beleaguered ex-British PM caught in the shenanigans of the West’s war on terror. Much of the action happens in Old Haven in the presidential retreat at Martha’s Vinyard. As the ghostwriter does some forensic work on the PM’s manuscript he discovers some unsavoury truths whose resolution is withheld till the very last scene — when the unexpected intrigant is revealed — by what is a very tautly written script. There is a certain period , neo-noir vibe to the movie. The cinematographic aesthetic is engaging without being intrusive and the acting is expert and understated as well. All in all a great movie. A cerebral political thriller devoid of profanity and gratuitous violence but with a menacing premise nonetheless.

The Ghost Writer : A very intriguing political thriller by Polanski. Ewan Macgregor ( he is not named in the movie ) is hired by a publisher to ghostwrite the memoirs of a beleaguered ex-British PM caught in the shenanigans of the West’s war on terror. Much of the action happens in Old Haven in the presidential retreat at Martha’s Vinyard. As the ghostwriter does some forensic work on the PM’s manuscript he discovers some unsavoury truths whose resolution is withheld till the very last scene — when the unexpected intrigant is revealed — by what is a very tautly written script. There is a certain period , neo-noir vibe to the movie. The cinematographic aesthetic is engaging without being intrusive and the acting is expert and understated as well. All in all a great movie. A cerebral political thriller devoid of profanity and gratuitous violence but with a menacing premise nonetheless.
In similar vein would recommend the following
cerebral political thrillers / drama :

- Hands over the City ( Francesco Rosi )
- The Confession ( Costa Gavras of Z fame )
- The Interrogation (Bugajksi)
- The Lives of Others ( Donnersmarck)
- The Conversation (Coppola - probably most have seen it already )
- Illustrious Corpses (Rosi )

A Stunning drama called 'Pleasure'
So stunning Plex couldn't find suggestions after the movie was over. :)
But, stunning it is, and it's a pity it came out in a pandemic year.

Without any spoilers, it is about a person who wants to become the greatest adult star.

No gore, lots of implied violence, a new director, a new actor, and the rest of the front-end crew are apparently all adult stars.

Superb movie, very nice sounding, background music, overall good movie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220125-191618_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220125-191618_Gallery.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 39
Last night in SoHo: Having watched almost zero films in this genre, found it wonderfully weird. Enjoyed it thoroughly.
And, of course, great soundtrack, which will give a superb workout for your system :)

Along with another weirdly wonderful (*for me) gem - Prisoners of the Ghostland - I think I have watched two great gateway pictures into the world of non-slasher, non-zombie horror within a span of a few days.
Look forward to more such wacked out stuff.

It’s a documentary about grumpy old men and their dogs. But scratch beneath the surface and you find …. truffles.
The Truffle Hunters is highly recommended. It documents an enigmatic underground delicacy that only the uncanny nose of a trained dog can detect.
Sometimes the camera is a fly on the wall catching the quotidian conversations of these frazzled men with their terriers and their labs, at other times it shows you the pov of the dog as it leaps from the truck and scurries through the beautiful North Italian undergrowth to frenetically paw for some lumps of the subterranean fungus.
Some forage for their own table others to sell. The market is lucrative and comes with its own ecosystem of middle men , appraisers , sellers and consumers.
And this unleashes the dark forces that cause dogs to be poisoned with strychnine , suspicion and hostility amongst old acquaintances , turf wars and temptations.
It reminded me of another documentary I watched earlier — Taming The Garden. This one is darker as it documents a vanity project of a billionaire to populate his garden with the most stately of trees from all over his country (Georgia).
So contractors scout, stalk , dig , scaffold , uproot , raise and transfer them one by one.
The telling visual of this movie is when they show a beautiful tree in all its arboreal glory rising above what looks like an ocean. Actually it’s a lake and the tree is being transported on a flatbed shipping container to its new home in the crazy billionaire’s own private forest.

The Pledge (2001)
Wow! What a pic. My first experience of a Sean Penn directorial.
It's a fully moody police procedural. But boy, what moods Penn creates.
I really want to watch more of his films as a director!

Full props to the sound design and mixing department - No small town American crime film came as close to this as much as that three billboards ebbing picutre.

Of course, Penn must be like a Nepo Kid of Hollywood and all (kidding you, not) but look at this cast:
(one has about seven to eight minutes, but none of the rest has more than five minutes)

Attachments

• the pledge cast.png
    the pledge cast.png
    983.6 KB · Views: 37
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back