The Movies I Liked

The Pledge (2001)
Wow! What a pic. My first experience of a Sean Penn directorial.
It's a fully moody police procedural. But boy, what moods Penn creates.
I really want to watch more of his films as a director!

Full props to the sound design and mixing department - No small town American crime film came as close to this as much as that three billboards ebbing picutre.

Of course, Penn must be like a Nepo Kid of Hollywood and all (kidding you, not) but look at this cast:
(one has about seven to eight minutes, but none of the rest has more than five minutes)
Yeah i also liked this movie and it's soundtrack.

hi
anybody has seen . any reviews

The Card Counter

The short answer is: WATCH IT! :D It's a stunner.

The long answer is:
If you like old school, the maker of this movie - Paul Schrader - wrote some of Scorsese's best films.
Then he started making his own movies, and then you can actually see how much of Scorsese's greatest hits were down to writing, and down to making... (50-50 in my book in the case of these two, which i'd say is huge shout out for a writer)

If you like intense, well told stories that are stunningly, jaw-droppingly filmed, I'd say go for it.
I wouldn't know whether you will like it or not, but you wouldn't regret it, or would have wasted your time.
Enjoy :)

True. Subtle and restrained performance from Cage. I often wonder why Hollywood doesn't use Cage well. Loved him in Con Air and Face Off. Also the super dad in Kick Ass.
@hydra
Big debts, which he was almost clear of last year, and definitely should be clear of this year...
There's a nice profile on the GQ site of him this month...
Pig was stunning -- I had told all (say, 8-10) my movie loving friends to watch it; only ONE actually watched it :D

@hydra
Big debts, which he was almost clear of last year, and definitely should be clear of this year...
Pig was stunning -- I had told all (say, 8-10) my movie loving friends to watch it; only ONE actually watched it :D

All of us have that one admirer, lol.

Another excellent Iranian movie. Not as riveting as a Separation but still keeps you very interested. A simple story of an act of good deed and the complication it leads to makes you keep wondering what will happen next. A god watch for those who love serious cinema.

Another excellent Iranian movie. Not as riveting as a Separation but still keeps you very interested. A simple story of an act of good deed and the complication it leads to makes you keep wondering what will happen next. A god watch for those who love serious cinema.
He is one of my fav directors...
I watched all of Asghar Farhadi's Movies...Each one has a unique movie...If not you must try...

@hydra
Indeed. I'm happy he got out of that situation where he had to take on projects without being able to choose much.

Very nice sounding & colourful movie # Dolby atoms disc unfortunately i don't have 4k bluray disc player # i watched in Dolby true HD

Attachments

• 20220508_174754.jpg
    20220508_174754.jpg
    641.7 KB · Views: 3
Watched Thar

Starts off very well but then fizzles out, this could have been a proper dark movie out and out, but they have tried to add some comedy and glamour down the movie and it ends up being no where
Anil kapoor is the star of the show

I watched 2 really good regional language movies over the weekend. They're both in Tamil.

Kadaisi Vivasayi (2021) and Kadaseela Biriyani (2021)

They are as different as chalk and cheese, but both are quite enjoyable. The first is a drama with elements of comedy/satire thrown in. I'm told that the full extent of the implied satire can be understood only by Tamil speakers, but I'm hoping I got most of it. The second is an out and out crime/black comedy very much in the vein of a Tarantino flick.

The one common factor that binds the two movies is the rustic setting they both play out in. They're also both very low budget Indie-style productions that can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the best Cinema out there. They're not the kind of movie that would play in a multiplex to the typical pop-corn chomping and mobile-phone-ADD afflicted audience.

Kadaisi Vivasayi is streaming on Sony Liv, and Kadaseela Biriyani is streaming on Netflix.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back