The Movies I Liked

I watched 2 really good regional language movies over the weekend. They're both in Tamil.

Kadaisi Vivasayi (2021) and Kadaseela Biriyani (2021)

They are as different as chalk and cheese, but both are quite enjoyable. The first is a drama with elements of comedy/satire thrown in. I'm told that the full extent of the implied satire can be understood only by Tamil speakers, but I'm hoping I got most of it. The second is an out and out crime/black comedy very much in the vein of a Tarantino flick.

The one common factor that binds the two movies is the rustic setting they both play out in. They're also both very low budget Indie-style productions that can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the best Cinema out there. They're not the kind of movie that would play in a multiplex to the typical pop-corn chomping and mobile-phone-ADD afflicted audience.

Kadaisi Vivasayi is streaming on Sony Liv, and Kadaseela Biriyani is streaming on Netflix.

+1 to Kadaseela Biryani.

I rate it on par with Aranyakaandam. Brutally good film making.

Hakkim Shah was exceptional to me. He usually acts in small roles in Malayalam flicks. I was as surprised at his performance as I was with SJ Surya holding the scenes in Iraivi.

Highly recommended to the lovers of slow, but quality films.​

Reminded me of Pulp Fiction kind of narrative. Overacting by some of the actors.
Too much overacting and Keerthi Suresh does not fit and looks comical when she tries to emote maybe Aishwarya Rajesh would have been a good fit (my opinion). At some point the movie just tests your patience. It would have been good if some of the lengthy shots have been edited and thereby reducing the movie length by 20 minutes.

Red Tails - The war and flight scens sound awesome.

Spectral - A different kind of sci-fi movie with its moments. Some of the blast scenes do sound very good. I do not see much mention of this film. Worth a view.

Red Tails - The war and flight scens sound awesome.

Spectral - A different kind of sci-fi movie with its moments. Some of the blast scenes do sound very good. I do not see much mention of this film. Worth a view.
Both done...Spectral is awesome:)

Somehow dared to watch Tamil film "Nimir" in Hotstar starring Udayanidhi Stalin as i don't usually waste my time watching typecast films. I was strangely surprised by the simple plot based on a (spoilers) street fight brawl resulting in a craving for revenge, still a bubbly Namitha Pramod navigated the film to the watchable feel good category. Ended up playing a song two or three more times for its nice sounding tune.

Somehow dared to watch Tamil film "Nimir" in Hotstar starring Udayanidhi Stalin as i don't usually waste my time watching typecast films. I was strangely surprised by the simple plot based on a (spoilers) street fight brawl resulting in a craving for revenge, still a bubbly Namitha Pramod navigated the film to the watchable feel good category. Ended up playing a song two or three more times for its nice sounding tune.

The Malayalam original "Maheshinte Prathikaaram" is way better than the Priyadarshan's version.

Try this.... If not...
Magamuni
Kuttram 23
Thadam
Sathuranga Vettai

I have watched all those films. Infact offbeat films i watch more than bland boring masala films. Arya has tried a lot of such films. Good for him. Tamil cinema has 80% crap with Vijay, Ajith, Rajinikanth beating around the bush with typecast cringeworthy sloppy action cliche in films that these offbeat films are trying to restore Tamil cinema's honour.

I have watched all those films. Infact offbeat films i watch more than bland boring masala films. Arya has tried a lot of such films. Good for him. Tamil cinema has 80% crap with Vijay, Ajith, Rajinikanth beating around the bush with typecast cringeworthy sloppy action cliche in films that these offbeat films are trying to restore Tamil cinema's honour.
Not 80%...99% they spoiled the Tamil industry. Now Malayalam industry for much better.,
Other Industry films rock in Tamil Nadu Theatres...also after OTT become popular...Soon will they will vanish...until the change.,

Recent movies by Arun Matheswaran, both Rocky and Saani Kayitham are good they many brutal scenes (like tarintino style). Cinematography is awesome in both.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back