The Phono Cartridge Thread

Also just to add, I have used various Shure carts extensively and have also used Jico replacement styli a lot. In my opinion, whenever you have the OEM Shure stylus available, prefer it over Jico or any other replacement. Having said that, it is close to impossible to get NOS Shure Styli for the older models. In such circumstances, Jico is the answer. For M44-7, the Shure N44-7 is ideal and since it is available new, in the market, why not use it :)

Thank you Reuben. I have also been thinking a lot on purchasing a JICO stylus for Shure M 44-7. Your opinion is extremely helpful to articulate my thoughts and stick to original stylus.

Best,
Sourav

Thank you Reuben. I have also been thinking a lot on purchasing a JICO stylus for Shure M 44-7. Your opinion is extremely helpful to articulate my thoughts and stick to original stylus.

Best,
Sourav

Alternatively Sourav, the Stanton 500 MK2 is also a splendid cart, on the lines of the M44-7. If used with the right stylus, perhaps the AL D89 or even better, the EEE SII stylus, they sound wonderful. Tracking and lastibility is as good as the M44-7 and the sound is less bassier. The EEE SII stylus was originally used with the 681 EEE MKII moving iron cartridge but is compatible with the 500 MK2. They were quite popular with radio stations back in the day as they could also be used for 78 rpm as well, with the "very-durable" D5127 stylus.

Alternatively Sourav, the Stanton 500 MK2 is also a splendid cart, on the lines of the M44-7. If used with the right stylus, perhaps the AL D89 or even better, the EEE SII stylus, they sound wonderful. Tracking and lastibility is as good as the M44-7 and the sound is less bassier. The EEE SII stylus was originally used with the 681 EEE MKII moving iron cartridge but is compatible with the 500 MK2. They were quite popular with radio stations back in the day as they could also be used for 78 rpm as well, with the "very-durable" D5127 stylus.

are you sure about the stanton 500? I found it incredibly dull - maybe because there are no good replacement styli available for them - i had tried the genuine stanton N500S, 5100SK, 5100AL & most of the generics available (except the jico D71EE which was the only recommended stylus on AK - because by that time i was fed up with it, and sold it off with my SL1200). In my experience it is nothing like the M44-7.

that's interesting, my experience with the Stanton 500 MK2 is exactly the opposite. I got it with one of my SP10s, from an Australian radio station.

that's interesting, my experience with the Stanton 500 MK2 is exactly the opposite. I got it with one of my SP10s, from an Australian radio station.

Reuben, are Stanton 500 and Stanton 500 MK2 similar? If they are similar, my experience is similar to Greenhorn - Dull. 681 EEE, however, is in a different league.

Reuben, are Stanton 500 and Stanton 500 MK2 similar? If they are similar, my experience is similar to Greenhorn - Dull. 681 EEE, however, is in a different league.

Have used only the 500 MKII. Found it to be decent sounding. Not as bassy or bright (in terms of gain) as the M44-7. However I must mention that I was tracking at 3gms.

Good cartridge. Go for it. Though I still find my vintage Shute V15 mk3 to be better all around, especially for older Hindi etc!

Hi FMs

I'm planning to get Ortofon 2M Red.

any inputs ?

I will mark Shure M97 Xe ahead of Ortofon 2M Red. Vocal is much better in Shure 97Xe. I have listened side by side in same set up and with same LP.

I was also planning to buy however refrained myself after this comparison. Even my friend who lend me Ortofon vouched the same.

Thanks,
Sourav

I agree Sourav. In fact, there is a FM here, on whose tonearm (SME V) I have heard the Shure 97 XE with a Jico Stylus! It sounded incredible! Better than many MC's in the $1500 range!

It was shockingly good! And made me reevaluate a lot of the expensive carts that I have bought!

Has anyone compared and M97xe body +jico SAS vs and M75 body + Jico sas?
to the best of my knowledge, both the bodies share the same construction. the V15's used laminated cores, while the M75 used regular, and i think so does the M97xe - in which case the M75 with a SAS should sound just as good (while being cheaper - used M75 bodies are available for dirt cheap)

I have been running cartridges for well over 20 years now, and while the turntables have been gradually upgraded, my cartridges have remained the same! Am on my third Denon Dl 110 which is my main cartridge and my second Shure M97xe, which is for back up. There is a ZYX Bloom for special occasions.
The turntables have changed over the years from a NAD 5020, to a Project xpression to a Project 9.1. Before the NAD I in fact owned a Thorens TD 160 with SME 3009 tonearm. Stupid me I sold it for a Sony 333 ES CD Player in 1991! As of now, if I could I would upgrade my turntable once more, and stick with the Denon 110.

Jico now introduce Neo SAS stylus with Sapphire Cantilever and costing about $211. Not sure how much this stylus dig out from records with old 60$ cartridge motors like Shure M75.

Anyone have experience on NEO SAS stylus?

Finally got hold of my Nagaoka MP 110 stylus a friend had bought for me 2 years ago from japan. got it for a third of the international price. Fitted it on my MP10 body and it sounds really nice with awesome tracking. Next to try it on my Stilton modded body :D

Dear friends, reviving this old thread. Finally received JICO Micro Ridge styli for my Shure V15 Type III and tested. With the disclaimer of burn in period, elated to share that this is an amazing styli. Sound stage is just spot on and I'm in seventh sky. Lovely sound and superb vocal. Some photos

IMG_6913.jpg
IMG_6914.jpg
IMG_6915.jpg
IMG_6916.jpg

Testing with this near mint LP

IMG_6919.jpg

Another

s.jpg

Thanks Souravin for reopening this thread. Most of my Bollywood LPs and EPs are old and were used on my ceramic cart Philips tts ie with the GP 204/224 & GP 215 carts. When new the sound was full bodied with a nice tone. Ofcourse after a few plays there was a deterioration in the quality. Later on acquired the GA242 ,with the GP 390 light tracking ceramic. A very good cartridge.
Subsequently I have tried a No of carts (mostly low cost) for my Bollywood and English records (mostly mid -seventies).
In no particular order, dependant on the tt/arm and phono stage, conical styli were more forgiving. So here is my choice:
Shure M 75 with aftermarket generic conical. I had no complaint with my EVG or Pfanstiel( can't remember) styli. Surface noise was low.
Shure M 44-7. Big bold sound. However gain is high.
Audio Technica AT 3600L and AT 91. Very forgiving of surface noise.
Philips EG 1400. Dynamic sound. With a .7mil aftermarket conical the surface noise was low.
Ofcourse if your collection comprises pristine records u may prefer elliptical or more finer stylus profiles.
As regards tt's, I did prefer the sound of an idler drive Dual.

Thanks Souravin for reopening this thread. Most of my Bollywood LPs and EPs are old and were used on my ceramic cart Philips tts ie with the GP 204/224 & GP 215 carts. When new the sound was full bodied with a nice tone. Ofcourse after a few plays there was a deterioration in the quality. Later on acquired the GA242 ,with the GP 390 light tracking ceramic. A very good cartridge.
Subsequently I have tried a No of carts (mostly low cost) for my Bollywood and English records (mostly mid -seventies).
In no particular order, dependant on the tt/arm and phono stage, conical styli were more forgiving. So here is my choice:
Shure M 75 with aftermarket generic conical. I had no complaint with my EVG or Pfanstiel( can't remember) styli. Surface noise was low.
Shure M 44-7. Big bold sound. However gain is high.
Audio Technica AT 3600L and AT 91. Very forgiving of surface noise.
Philips EG 1400. Dynamic sound. With a .7mil aftermarket conical the surface noise was low.
Ofcourse if your collection comprises pristine records u may prefer elliptical or more finer stylus profiles.
As regards tt's, I did prefer the sound of an idler drive Dual.

My latest experiment with Shure M55E with JICO styli is now creating a new definition of smooth sound on EPs SPs and badly worn records. A fantastic cart for old VG+ records without tinkering the analogue feel.

Back